Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 29, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #6,916 of 9,388
I've started putting pictures in my Zero guide, which should be helpful. I need to do an opamp/HDAM installation guide yet.

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #6,917 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from a few decent parts and sound design and construction, the Zero is still only a $170 DAC/HP amp albeit a really good one. My old Music Hall cd player sounded better. We have to keep things in perspective, besides I dont think your unit is as modded as Peete's. If your soundcard beat that thing I would then question everything in these 7,000+ posts.

That being said Im enjoying mine very much and it IS getting better with burn in. Im at about 65 hours and the sound is getting clearer with better space between the instruments and vocals. Bass isnt there 100% but getting better. Ill give it another week before HDAM time. Is the concensus that EARTH is the better all around module for the DAC?

Yes the concensus is that the EARTH is a lot better for the dac section of the Zero.

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #6,918 of 9,388
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just ordered my zero from Lawrence and I have yet to receive it. I do have a few questions though.

I want to purchase a tube amp (probably a LD II++ next month) or I could also buy another set of phones (k601, hd 595 or dt770). Right now I'll be using my Grado SR80 with the Zero, source is my macbook pro. Will I be better off buying a separate amp for my sr80s or just buying a better set of phones?

My goal for the next few months is to have a better set of phones, an amp and the zero til I wear them out (Ive had my sr80s since 05). I just am not sure which one to buy first, the amp or the phones.

Ron

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #6,919 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just ordered my zero from Lawrence and I have yet to receive it. I do have a few questions though.

I want to purchase a tube amp (probably a LD II++ next month) or I could also buy another set of phones (k601, hd 595 or dt770). Right now I'll be using my Grado SR80 with the Zero, source is my macbook pro. Will I be better off buying a separate amp for my sr80s or just buying a better set of phones?

My goal for the next few months is to have a better set of phones, an amp and the zero til I wear them out (Ive had my sr80s since 05). I just am not sure which one to buy first, the amp or the phones.

Ron

I'd go with the Headphone upgrade first.

Peete.

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #6,921 of 9,388
Quote:

^ is that because the zero can still drive the better phones without the need of an amp?

Probably that coupled with the fact that Grado's don't really improve all that much with an amp. I was a Grado-head at one time, upgraded all the way to the SR-225s, but then I heard Sennheisers and haven't looked back.. I've given the grados a shot a few times since, and there are certainly some songs (rock mostly) that sound fantastic with them, but the HD-600s have become my all-around 'phones. They do, however, sound pretty bad out of a portable player and even my (decent) home theater receiver - while the Grado's sound just fine...

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #6,922 of 9,388
^ but will I be ok without an amp, just the zero if I use a k601/k701 or the sennheiser hd 600/650? I just dont want to upgrade headphones and be lacking a dedicated amp.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #6,923 of 9,388
Quote:

^ but will I be ok without an amp, just the zero if I use a k601/k701 or the sennheiser hd 600/650? I just dont want to upgrade headphones and be lacking a dedicated amp.

Can't say - as you can see from my sig I have a dedicated amp, which I use almost exclusively. I can say it drives my HD600s just beautifully. Have never tried the k601/701 on my amp or the zero.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #6,924 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say - as you can see from my sig I have a dedicated amp, which I use almost exclusively. I can say it drives my HD600s just beautifully. Have never tried the k601/701 on my amp or the zero.

Yeah, i'll proaably just get the 'phones first then save up quickly for a dedicated amp.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #6,925 of 9,388
Does anyone know the exact part number to get the free LT1364 sample from Linear Technology?

Thank you.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #6,926 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know the exact part number to get the free LT1364 sample from Linear Technology?

Thank you.

I only requested over their website for Lt1364, there's a option of request free sample.

But the local LT representative called me and asking why I wanted that sample and they said they wouldn't send me free samples for "simple academic research". I study engenheering on one of the most respectable university on Brazil and got this answer.... I see you guys geting it without even be questioned why you want....

I hate this kind of small thinking of poor country.

Diego
angry_face.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #6,927 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hate this kind of small thinking of poor country.

Diego
angry_face.gif

I hear you that it doesn't seem fair that you got questioned, but I've been thinking about this... how many of these things do you think they've given away for free by now? If the purpose of giving samples is in the hopes that one will then come back and make a big purchase, I could see how they'd get frustrated with a bunch of head-fi'ers looking for freebies, with no intention of actually purchasing anything ever... I wondered that from the first time I heard about it. Just thinking about the other side is all.
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #6,928 of 9,388
Quote:

My stock Zero drives my 701's (along with all the cans listed in sig - past and present) to adequate levels and with enjoyable SQ. The 701's are the hardest of the cans to drive of all cans listed, but I never feel the need to crank the pot wide open.

Actually, I bought the Zero firstly as an inexpensive demo tool to help me decide what cans I'd buy and keep, and it served that purpose well. Extremely well, TBH. Now I'm looking to upgrade the stock HP op amps and/or add an external amp, like yourself.

I can't speak of the 601's, but feel confident you should be able to enjoy 701's from the Zero's internal HP amp until you finalize the purchase of an external amp.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #6,929 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My stock Zero drives my 701's (along with all the cans listed in sig - past and present) to adequate levels and with enjoyable SQ. The 701's are the hardest of the cans to drive of all cans listed, but I never feel the need to crank the pot wide open.

Actually, I bought the Zero firstly as an inexpensive demo tool to help me decide what cans I'd buy and keep, and it served that purpose well. Extremely well, TBH. Now I'm looking to upgrade the stock HP op amps and/or add an external amp, like yourself.

I can't speak of the 601's, but feel confident you should be able to enjoy 701's from the Zero's internal HP amp until you finalize the purchase of an external amp.

Nice! I guess the right move for me is to use the Zero until i find the cans i'll like and buy the dedicated amp after.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #6,930 of 9,388
Which one of these would I request or even buy from somewhere else later?
Package Variations and Pricing
Part Number Package Pins Temp Price (1-99) Price (1k)* RoHS Data
LT1364CN8 PDIP 8 C $4.58 $3.70 View
LT1364CN8#PBF PDIP 8 C $4.58 $3.70 View
LT1364CS8 SO 8 C $4.80 $3.85 View
LT1364CS8#PBF SO 8 C $4.80 $3.85 View
LT1364CS8#TR SO 8 C $3.91 View
LT1364CS8#TRPBF SO 8 C $3.91 View

Users who are viewing this thread

Back