Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 12, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #6,451 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed something....correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 627 adapter in backwards ? The notch is supposed to point towards the rca jacks and digital ins......not the front faceplate...

Peete.

PP, you are eagle-eyed and brilliant. Yes, to me it looks like the DAC is in backwards. The notch on mine is facing the opposite direction - away from the twin black tower thingies (scientific talk, ya know!).

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #6,452 of 9,388
Quote:

Details Alex, Details
smily_headphones1.gif

Is this with the custom reg boards from audio-gd ?

Peete.

I am not good on write review
wink_face.gif

Anyway let me try:

The difference are about detail and sound stage.
I using the musical The Phantom Of The Opera 1986 london to do the test.

"The Phantom Of The Opera" is always tests detail and "Magical Lasso..." is used to test sound stage. If you love that musical I think you understand why I choose those.

Sound stage: Sun+2 earth make the sound stage way bigger both on SR225 and D2000. SR225 performance better. It even bring me some feeling when I watched that show in Theatre st. last summer - you are in toronto, Right?
dt880smile.png
Improvement on D2000 is not that big but still easy to feel when do a AB compare. But without HADM mod what I can say about Zero is UNLISTENABLE.

Detail: That's interesting part. I can not say the detail are improved. Because it sounds like some detail is missing but in good way as my personal feeling. For example: Sarah Brightman's sounds about "sh" at end of word alway make me do not really like it. HD650 handles it very well. But with HDAM zero Sr225 can give me better listening experience now. The changes in D2000 is even more interesting. I do not have to say - it is something like the detail be controls to some central point. If I listen "The Dark Side Of The Moon - Breathe" I can feel it even without AB compare.
I still think it is changed in good direction for me anyway.

Basically I feel 3 HDAMED zero bring me more musical listening.

The only mod I did about HDAM is cap mod you told me and I still cannot find improvement about those .68 caps.
redface.gif

I am going to send my HADM Zero to a university lab to do that output test. I am not sure I need to do power mod yet. If the result tell me HADM needs more power I will otherwise I believe my ear.

Sorry about my english and hopfully you know what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #6,453 of 9,388
627opamp.jpg

In the blue box...take it out a rotate it 180 degrees.....the notch on the adapter has to match the notch in the socket...which means it faces the back panel. Could have been installed this way by one of LC's monkies.....

Check yours as well Liquid Steel.

Peete.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #6,455 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not good on write review
wink_face.gif

Anyway let me try:

The difference are about detail and sound stage.
I using the musical The Phantom Of The Opera 1986 london to do the test.

"The Phantom Of The Opera" is always tests detail and "Magical Lasso..." is used to test sound stage. If you love that musical I think you understand why I choose those.

Sound stage: Sun+2 earth make the sound stage way bigger both on SR225 and D2000. SR225 performance better. It even bring me some feeling when I watched that show in Theatre st. last summer - you are in toronto, Right?
dt880smile.png
Improvement on D2000 is not that big but still easy to feel when do a AB compare. But without HADM mod what I can say about Zero is UNLISTENABLE.

Detail: That's interesting part. I can not say the detail are improved. Because it sounds like some detail is missing but in good way as my personal feeling. For example: Sarah Brightman's sounds about "sh" at end of word alway make me do not really like it. HD650 handles it very well. But with HDAM zero Sr225 can give me better listening experience now. The changes in D2000 is even more interesting. I do not have to say - it is something like the detail be controls to some central point. If I listen "The Dark Side Of The Moon - Breathe" I can feel it even without AB compare.
I still think it is changed in good direction for me anyway.

Basically I feel 3 HDAMED zero bring me more musical listening.

The only mod I did about HDAM is cap mod you told me and I still cannot find improvement about those .68 caps.
redface.gif

I am going to send my HADM Zero to a university lab to do that output test. I am not sure I need to do power mod yet. If the result tell me HADM needs more power I will otherwise I believe my ear.

Sorry about my english and hopfully you know what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Alex...great job
smily_headphones1.gif
....I thought you had custom audio-gd boards on order that were sitting in LA customs ? Sorry if you are not the one waiting on those....I found with 2 SUN and 1 Earth, the head amp lost all bass punch and the...well you know that part...anyway...I'm still waiting on my parts to test the 3 HDAM config and see if I can solve the power issue...it retuned to normal when I popped the LT1364's back in. I could take temps from the analog regs and post the numbers with LT1364 then dual SUNS...might be interesting to see if thermal stress is leaning out the current flow.

If you do have the reg boards...can't hurt to try them out...you may be pleasantly surprised by the result. I'b be very interested in your Lab results from the U....

Thanks Alex.......the cap mod takes a loooooong time to form....drove me bats when I first did it...then one day..pow...there it is...at least 250 + hours. Drove Pench a little crazy too...he kept asking me ...when does this thing kick in
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #6,457 of 9,388
Ok, right side is functioning now.

Left side, however, has no sound at all. Unless, of course, I change the volume. Then it sounds like someone is blowing in my ear.

There is also the distinct smell of toasted silicon in the area. I don't know if that is caused by/of the defect, but it probably is a sign that it is toast.

*looks around for replacement*

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #6,458 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquid steel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WINNER!

I flipped the DAC op-amp, and the dead side switched from the right to the left.

Where would I go about getting a replacement?
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll let Lawrence know.

Peete, I love you.

Thanks buddy
smily_headphones1.gif
Glad I could help !!! Do you have another opamp you can use until the replacement arrives ? A NE5532 or some other type that is a dual channel .....

Tell LC exactly what happened...it was put in wrong....so it's his fault. He should send a replacement and fire the monkey.

Peete.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #6,459 of 9,388
Quote:

Thanks Alex...great job
smily_headphones1.gif
....I thought you had custom audio-gd boards on order that were sitting in LA customs ? Sorry if you are not the one waiting on those....I found with 2 SUN and 1 Earth, the head amp lost all bass punch and the...well you know that part...anyway...I'm still waiting on my parts to test the 3 HDAM config and see if I can solve the power issue...it retuned to normal when I popped the LT1364's back in. I could take temps from the analog regs and post the numbers with LT1364 then dual SUNS...might be interesting to see if thermal stress is leaning out the current flow.

If you do have the reg boards...can't hurt to try them out...you may be pleasantly surprised by the result. I'b be very interested in your Lab results from the U....

Thanks Alex.......the cap mod takes a loooooong time to form....drove me bats when I first did it...then one day..pow...there it is...at least 250 + hours. Drove Pench a little crazy too...he kept asking me ...when does this thing kick in
biggrin.gif

Peete.

I have those reg boards already. I did not start to install them yet because I do not know where I put them. I have order those 1uf green cap. So if the output test shows me zero need more power I have to have extra box to put power board, HADM and caps and get 3 20 cm leads to connect them to zero. Actually leads is not problem because I think CAT5 network cable will be good fit. That's a big project for me so I really want to make sure before start.

About bass: I do not feel the bass is gone. HD580 is but sr225 and D2000 is not. but HD580 never works well anyway.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #6,460 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by falke401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete, You know your stuff!!! It worked!!! Now I just have to fix my volume knob because it hums when I turn it and hums all the time too.

It has a ground wire on the side casing......check all ground points...heres a pic of the tiny wire that should be on the side of the vol pot casing connected to the pcb. If it's missing solder in a section of solid core wire, or stranded copper wire.

AlpsGroundwire.jpg

Peete.

PS If you have the stock pot the procedure is the exact same. Wiggle the pot slightly to see if the hum stops.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #6,462 of 9,388
Ok. If i turn the volume half way up, it hums, but equal volume. I turn the volume all the way up, it does not get any louder, still hums, and only the right side works. The ground wire on the volume seems to be fine.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #6,463 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by edguetzow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PP, you are eagle-eyed and brilliant. Yes, to me it looks like the DAC is in backwards. The notch on mine is facing the opposite direction - away from the twin black tower thingies (scientific talk, ya know!).

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Peete, You know your stuff!!! It worked!!! Now I just have to fix my volume knob because it hums when I turn it and hums all the time too.

Gosh thanks guys.
redface.gif
I do what I can to help....just noriced the notch and bingo...light bulb went on
biggrin.gif

...I'm just about ready to add my Super Cap pak mods to the 2 Earth modules in my FrankenDAC !!!!...talk about a pain in the a-s-s soldering these damn things up has been.

I'll post some pics in 15 minutes or so when I have them both soldered onto the correct pin pads. They look awesome......bloody things will take forever to break in though....
frown.gif

Peete.

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #6,464 of 9,388
Quote:

I just noticed something....correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 627 adapter in backwards ? The notch is supposed to point towards the rca jacks and digital ins......not the front faceplate...

Peete.

Good on ya, PP, you're onto it.
biggrin.gif
I had to zip off for a bit. 627s in back to front is just plain shoddy work! Sheesh! Not enough good coffee in HK sweat shops, eh? I know it's not Mark Levenson, but hey, some QC would be nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #6,465 of 9,388
Quote:

Ok. If i turn the volume half way up, it hums, but equal volume. I turn the volume all the way up, it does not get any louder, still hums, and only the right side works. The ground wire on the volume seems to be fine.

Your 627s are most likely borked as well. Email LC for a replacement module and explain exactly what happened. Send him the pic you posted here...and he will notice the opamp in backwards.

You guys could try one of the LT1364s from the head amp section...just to test, it gets too hot if run to long in the DAC section so only run it long enough to check L/R channels for hum etc... Unplug the H/Amp section and pull both LT1364s....disconnect the gray wires (remember which conn goes where, mark them if you have to) from the main pcb board, disconnect the entire H/Amp card. This test will confirm if the 627's are fried. Disconnect the small black conn (that is power to h/amp board).

Obviously line out is the only way it will work when trying this...you'll need to feed it to a preamp or receiver and plug the phones into that to check.

If you guys don't want to try this that's fine. You should put in a request for samples from Linear Tech, they will send out a maximum of 5 opamps for free.

I got 1078's, more 1364's and one other that I can't seem to remember...
smily_headphones1.gif

Just so you have others to roll...with the price being right (FREE STUFF Whooo Hoooo)
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back