Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #6,406 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If would be possible see a photo, that would be the best, thanks
happy_face1.gif

The center pin is combined ground for L/R analog RCA output. You can't miss it once you have a look. I haven't heard a difference between unattached and an attached either at the analog ground (RCA ground) or pcb hold down screw.

YMMV.

Peete.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #6,407 of 9,388
Sour = Andrea....ignore list...ban and deletion to follow...

Peete.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #6,408 of 9,388
davve;4718579 said:
Hi! I received the OPA's today, got a replacement. First i got the opa's with cables soldered on the opa. But what har they grey things on the opas?

Kingwa told CC they are coupling caps.

Peete.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #6,409 of 9,388
So, what does the grounding wire for OPA-Earth do? Change sound? If so, in what way?

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #6,410 of 9,388
Hi Henmyr,

In my experience it hasn't changed a thing....SQ wise. I'm not sure it's necessary at all. Kingwa insists it be connected to analog ground (not AC ground or pcb chassis ground).

I've tried both spots and found uh......(pun intended) Zero SQ difference, that includes leaving it unconnected.

Can't hurt to have it connected I suppose although I don't bother with it.

Peete.

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #6,412 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what is the verdict on the SUN vs EARTH?

Is it SUN that starts good but becomes bright after burn-in?

And EARTH is the slower one and remains as such after burn-in?

Trying to determine which one matches the proper HP's.

Sun is very bright and detailed, not natural or neutral, with emphasis on lower and upper frequencies.
Earth is flat and neutral, with no emphasis on any part of the sound.

Sun may sound superb with your equipment and give you a more pleasant experience. However, if your gear is very revealing, then it can sound overly bright and tedious.

Sun is initially very appealing IMO. It takes a few days to either get used to the sound, or to dislike it.

Earth, by comparison, sounds far less bright, feels less inctricate initially. Use it for a few days and you'll love it's laidback and neutral character.

I initially preferred the Sun, but after a few days, found it overly-bright. Now I've used the Earth for a week or two, I find the Sun immediately too-bright and shiny.

Going back to the 22pF capacitors - don't jumper them. Remove them, either by desoldering or just cutting the legs. Jumpering will tie the sound channels directly to ground, which'll be no fun at all...
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #6,413 of 9,388
I was just informed that my Zero came in the mail today!!!! Its a shame I will not be able to listen to it much for a few days. I will be plugging my hd 650's directly into it, so I will let you guys know how it sounds. I hope a decent amount better because I have been plugging them into my home surround sound receiver.

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #6,414 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the cap mod also apply to opa-sun? thats what im using.. bit unsure about what type of capacitator i should get and if there are any good ones i can buy at radioshack?

Rat Shack would have nothing like you need. I don't think I've ever seen a quality cap (paper in oil,polypro,film and foil) ever on their shelves and racks. I go quite often for some parts but get most of the Audio grade parts online...

A 1 uf film and foil or PIO is what you need...I pick the Russian caps because they are high quality and cheap, something most name brand foil caps can't match. Hovland, Auricap,Mundorf,M-Cap,Aerovox,Vitamin Q,Jensen,Obligatto,Audio Note to name a few high quality caps are all many times more expensive than the Russian stuff....

Peete.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #6,415 of 9,388
hi guys... i've ordered sample of opa827 from texas instrument... but they told me opa827 aren't in free sample program anymore!!!

i want to ask to you all a favour... if someone has 2xopa627 or 2xopa827 please send a private message to me cause i am looking for these opa. i'll pay shipping cost...

Thanks

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #6,416 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really find it laid back.

IMO it's definitely laid-back in comparison to the Sun module.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #6,417 of 9,388
Hi PP, having a good time over here! Senns sound brilliant. Had another play with the TL pre last night, gave it a really good warm up and re-discovered that the right cable match matters! It sang like a canary! Still could do with an update but it gave me that wide open space where cans and head just disappear to leave musicians suspended in space, uncanny and fantastic!
I'm ordering another KHA kit to rebuild from scratch with TQ parts, Dale resistors etc, at $35 who could go wrong! Circuit board on it's own is not available but I want the trannies anyway.
Interesting hearing folks prefering op-amps over the HDAMs, Earth especially. It doesn't get any more neutral than that and in my own system the HDAMs comprehensively beat all comers. Shows how subjective this subject can be, depending on different cans, amps and very importantly, how ones ears have developed in listening to music.
The ear needs training like any other skill. Best of all, many options are available to everyone to suit their tastes, you gotta love it!
My 1364s are now well run-in in Zero and they do actually sound rather good with the Senn 650s, had a most enjoyable time with Loreena McKenitt through the Zero for a change. No edge on her voice. Tube pre and KHA was better in that I could clearly hear and feel the breath come from her lungs and mouth, a sense of reality that the Zero amp with op-amps can't match. Plus that amazing openness, quite something.
Zero has waaay over 130 hours or so now, losing count fast, what a terrific DAC + HDAM Earth!

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #6,418 of 9,388
I just got my amp in from Lawrence. Plugged it all in...

Balance is fubar'd
frown.gif

Right side is quiet, left is loud
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Tested it as a preamp to my HK AVR146 with the same result. Checked on old sony cans, Senn CX300, and Senn HD600's. All the same outcome
frown.gif

Emailed Lawrence to see what he recommends... anyone have any ideas?

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #6,419 of 9,388
Sour is the only one that has preferred an obscure opamp (that is used and developed primarily for the RIAA section of a phono amp) over the HDAM......but listed no gear, no headphone used....nothing.....just an opinion that stinks like Andrea's MO so bad I refuse to believe he's anything but Andrea.......

I know neutral and the Earth definitely is the definition of it.....no offense sour/Andrea but your full of ****...

Peete.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #6,420 of 9,388
Agreed S-Man...it is a terrific combination, which was my main inspiration for the kit....it goes even further down the "Alice in Wonderland" rabbit hole thus equipped
smily_headphones1.gif

Just picked up a massive box of caps that came from Digi-Key from the courier hub today (6 pm)....it's like X-Mas
smily_headphones1.gif
...Now all I need is the PIO film and foil cap's shipment and I can start making up the kits in earnest.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back