Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #9,093 of 9,388
can anyone in canada who bought one of these off eBay comment on the duty charges?

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #9,094 of 9,388
In regards to using this as a preamp, are there an specific amps that pair well with the Zero? When my Zero arrives I'll being running it through optical into my Macbook. I was thinking maybe the Little Dot Mk3?

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #9,096 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by x_lk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine was shipped from Hong Kong, duty free, but charged GST by post office. I'm from Alberta.

Awesome, I'm going to get one of these for christmas and just want to know how much it will cost.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #9,097 of 9,388
So I'm thinking of parting out my complicated passive speaker system with integrated amp and separate DAC and just going Zero DAC ---> SR225i / HD555 / Audioengine A5's.

I'm sure there are some comments in the thread, but is there any reason why you shouldn't use the Zero as a pre-out to a self powered monitor such as the A5 or A2? Thanks.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #9,098 of 9,388
Does the Zero still default, when you switch it on, to non-pre-out mode, sending the full signal out? If so, I wouldn't recommend it as a pre-amp.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #9,100 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Zero still default, when you switch it on, to non-pre-out mode, sending the full signal out? If so, I wouldn't recommend it as a pre-amp.

Good point Curra.
smily_headphones1.gif

The best way to avoid such a thing would be to switch the Zero on first before powering anything else up, engage the preamp section making sure that the Zero's vol pot is at min setting and then adjust from there.

Peete.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #9,101 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With mine, when it's turned on it's in pre-out mode, but you have to manually turn on the pre-amp/headphone out. I guess since I have mine hooked up to a receiver it doesn't matter for me personally.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #9,102 of 9,388
I still don't understand why this would be an issue in my scenario -- Zero DAC --> pre-amp output straight to a pair of audioengines. Would this work, or would there be issues if I forget to change the DAC to pre-out before powering on my speakers?

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #9,104 of 9,388
I need some help, i have the Zero DAC with the HDAM, LT1364, and upgraded volume pot from 2008, i didnt used for some time but i manage to buy a new motherboard for my pc and i have optical and coaxial on onboard sound, the problem is that i have sound only on the right side on my headphones, i tried the headphones directly to the card and they are working perfectly, i tried coaxial and optical connection to be sure is not the cables but still the same issue, i think my Zero DAC is broken and im noob, dont know anything about this, can you give me some advise, what can i try, im totally sure the problem is from Zero DAC because like i said i tried the headphones directly to the onboard card, i tried different cables, so the problem can be only from the Zero DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back