Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #8,716 of 9,388
What if the eager society ate the material? Sportsman delighted improving dashwoods gay instantly happiness six. Ham now amounted absolute not mistaken way pleasant whatever. At an these still no dried folly stood thing. Rapid it on hours hills it seven years. If polite he active county in spirit an. Mrs ham intention promotion engrossed assurance defective. Confined so graceful building opinions whatever trifling in. Insisted out differed ham man endeavor expenses. At on he total their he songs. Related compact effects is on settled do.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #8,717 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok i've used the "search the thread" function quite a few times but i still need some answers, i'm planning to buy lawrence's version off ebay ( Zero DAC with the HDAM, LT1364, and upgraded volume pot on eBay, also, Processors, Home Audio, Electronics (end time 16-Feb-09 15:56:08 GMT) )

1) i own a x-fi titanium fatal1ty champion that has digital output in the back (no coax) do i need anything else ? (except the included optical cable)
2) will i still be able to use CMSS3d EAX and hardware audio acceleration in my games ?
3) i currently listen to my music using foobar 2000 + creative asio on audio mode with 2/2.1 speaker settings bit matched playback enabled and 44.1khz master sampling rate, windows main volume is set to 50% and wave volume to 100%, is there anything that should i change when using this dac ?
4) can this dac be used as a headphone amp at the same time too ? 1364T and OPA627 found in lawrence's version are supposed to be adequate for most headphones right ? (i own DT770/80 and audiotechnica A700)
5) should i connect my pa2v2 to the zero dac or should i use the zero dac as a dac AND headphone amp for my dt770's ?(kinda stupid question i think)

1. Yes, probably. You'll need a 1/8" "mini" to toslink (the outs on the back panel of my older xfi fata1ty are minis, but one doubles as a SPDIF - that's why I bought the breakout box too - you'l have to check your specific card - they may have added a proper optical jack I don't know). Try monoprice.
2. Yes, but for music you should use "audio creation mode" with bitperfect out (ah I see you do this already from #3 heh).
3. No you should be good, although I keep all my volumes at 100% - no idea if that makes a difference or not.
4. Not sure if I understand you, but you can't go out from the headphone jack AND the RCA outs at the same time .
5. I'm not familiar with the pa2v2, but if it is a decent stand alone amp it may be better - the Zero's amp is really only so-so, even with opamp upgrades. But the best thing would be to try both and see which you like better.

Happy listening!
Oh, and if you can spare the $$, an HDAM blows the doors off the OPA627 - like instantly noticeable, easily worth the cost, easy to do upgrade - a no-brainer!

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #8,718 of 9,388
my sound card already has an optical digital output ( http://images.europe.creative.com/is...pro_card_c.jpg ) so no extra cable/adapter needed i think, are you completely sure that cmss3d EAX and hardware audio acceleration pass through 2 channel PCM ? would you please test it by yourself by toggling cmss3d on game mode or something ? note that i'm on xp not vista

Pa2v2 is just 46$, i'm sure the headphone amp of the modded zero dac will drive my beyers better

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #8,719 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my sound card already has an optical digital output ( http://images.europe.creative.com/is...pro_card_c.jpg ) so no extra cable/adapter needed i think, are you completely sure that cmss3d EAX and hardware audio acceleration pass through 2 channel PCM ? would you please test it by yourself by toggling cmss3d on game mode or something ? note that i'm on xp not vista

Pa2v2 is just 46$, i'm sure the headphone amp of the modded zero dac will drive my beyers better

Ok yeah, you have one of the newer ones; the cable that comes with the zero will be fine.

I have tried it - just set the output to headphone - mine actually says "CMSS Headphone" when I do this, and there's a test button you can use to try it out. It is the sound of a helicopter flying overhead in a circle, and it sounds pretty effin' awesome! Use it all the time, trust me. And there's a big difference is 3D positioning with this setting on vs gaming in audio creation mode - much easier to tell where things are with it on. It's all good! I'm on XP as well.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #8,720 of 9,388
n00b questions:
Is the most recent update of the Zero any good with the airport express and airtunes? ZERO 24/192KHZ DAC HEAD AMP USB pclink(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 140301253701 end time Feb-23-09 03:49:02 PST)

I just connected my logitech z2300 to the airport but the sound is terrible. Just wondering if this will improve the SQ. I don't mind using the Xitel included in the auction to connect via USB.

I want to be able to listen music on my laptop through my speakers as the speakers currently drain my mp3 player.

Also, can i use the Zero to run a micro/mini system? (something like this Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Stereo Systems + a subwoofer)

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #8,723 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by corujo712 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
n00b questions:
Is the most recent update of the Zero any good with the airport express and airtunes? ZERO 24/192KHZ DAC HEAD AMP USB pclink(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 140301253701 end time Feb-23-09 03:49:02 PST)

I just connected my logitech z2300 to the airport but the sound is terrible. Just wondering if this will improve the SQ. I don't mind using the Xitel included in the auction to connect via USB.

I want to be able to listen music on my laptop through my speakers as the speakers currently drain my mp3 player.

Also, can i use the Zero to run a micro/mini system? (something like this Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Stereo Systems + a subwoofer)

Interesting. I have my Zero hooked up to a pair of Z-2300, and they sound as good as they should be. Might be something to do with the settings on the Airport?

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #8,724 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulw86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm located in China right now and the ebay sellers for this amp charges me the same shipping as if they're shipping to US. pisses me off

thanks for the review op

That's Bizarre! How do they justify that?

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #8,725 of 9,388
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #8,726 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I have my Zero hooked up to a pair of Z-2300, and they sound as good as they should be. Might be something to do with the settings on the Airport?

What's your setup?

Are you running a 3.5mm to RCA from airport to Zero DAC and then just plug the 3.5mm (from z2300) into a converter and into the from of the DAC?

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #8,727 of 9,388
I am thinking of getting the Zero DAC to use between my squeezebox duet and Onkyo 805. I currently connect the Duet to the Onkyo 805 using optical thus using the Burr-brown DACs in the 805. I really do like the sound a lot but I want to take it to next level. Would I get a better sound quality be adding the Zero or any DAC up to $400.00 for that matter? Where would be a good source to get the Zero without any reliability,failure, lemon...issue?
This is for use with my home audio gear which consists of Revel Performa tower speakers and and JL Audio Fathom subwoofer. Thanks.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #8,728 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by corujo712 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your setup?

Are you running a 3.5mm to RCA from airport to Zero DAC and then just plug the 3.5mm (from z2300) into a converter and into the from of the DAC?

Actually, optical out from my laptop to the Zero, then RCA out to the RCA-3.5 mm adapter, Z-2300 plugged in.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #8,729 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, optical out from my laptop to the Zero, then RCA out to the RCA-3.5 mm adapter, Z-2300 plugged in.

Hmmm, what kind of laptop do you have? I have a macbook and it only has 3.5mm out. What cable are you using from the laptop to the zero?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back