Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #887 of 1,182
In your case, yes, it looks like it. You might consider eventually adding a good quality USB to S/PDIF converter to the works... 

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #888 of 1,182
Has anyone compared the D100's usb implimentation (using it as DAC only) to that of Audio GD's NFB-2 or NFB-3? I'm trying to decide between these and the Arcam rDAC and I can't seem to find a definitive answer, only that I MIGHT need a USB to spdif converter to get the best out of the Audio GD, which I don't really want to have to buy.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #889 of 1,182
Considering the D100 to pair up with the Denon D7000. Any thoughts on this?

Also, anyone know the output impedance on the HPO? I need it to be less than 3ohms.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #890 of 1,182
I've never seen the output impedance of the headphones ouputs being posted anywhere but I would suspect it to be low. Maybe you could try asking one of the sellers or Yulong.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #891 of 1,182
Thanks for the great review project 86 !!

Was looking for a dac/amp combo and was about to chosse an audio gd combo when I saw this thread and ordered a yulong D100 !
I think I will not uppragde my rig for a while, so i hesitate between a dt 880 600 ohm and the 250 Ohms one.Is the amp section strong enough to make the 600Ohm shine ? or should i go with the 250 Ohm ?

Does anyone tried the Ficher audio FA-011 on this combo

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #892 of 1,182

Quote:
I've never seen the output impedance of the headphones ouputs being posted anywhere but I would suspect it to be low. Maybe you could try asking one of the sellers or Yulong.

I would expect the low-power jack to have a very high output impedance, as this has almost certainly been achieved by shoving a giant resistor in there.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #893 of 1,182
Would be curious to know as well - the gain difference between the two jacks is not massive. The manual gives no real clue except to show two line outs from the "OPA2134+ Transistor Class A buf"

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #894 of 1,182
Found this from earlier in the thread (almost this time last year)

Quote:
Got mine yesterday.
I analysed the circuit and can say that the output impedance is very low.

When you leave the DAC section, you pass a signal cap (wima), go thru a potentiometer and reach an op amp that feed a push pull emitter follower. Transistor stage are included in feedback loop. So the op-amp control everything.

In closed loop, the opa2134 datasheet state about 0.01ohm. with the wire+ connector resistance, maybe 0.4ohms.

the low impedance output is just a serial resistor of 47ohms that feed the 2nd headphone jack. If you want to loose dynamic, that is the output to use...

As for the class A, it's a real joke.
the output stage have a iddle current of about 11mA.
On my 45 ohms orthodynamic (he-6. the 45 ohms is measured with my Fluke DMM)
it mean that I can reach 1volt peak-to-peak in pure classA
translate in 0.34V rms
do the math and  the result is a whooping 3.8mW of class A before going to class AB :frowning2:

I want to raise the bias voltage but the transistors are surface mount and no heatsink are present. the transistor will blow if I crank the current. they are stated at 300mW maximum dissipation. (they are already at about 165mW, so not more room)

I have been enjoying the Yulong as a headphone amp as well, and will be using it to feed a bottlehead crack at some point. I might eventually add a different solid state amp as well. But for now, I like the sound I get. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #895 of 1,182
So looks like they pulled a Fiio by raising output impedance for the low gain jack. That makes it a useless jack technically.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #896 of 1,182
Except unlike the FiiO, it doesn't appear that they left the primary jack at 10ohm... thankfully. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #897 of 1,182
I'm close to springing for it, but I still wanna know how it handles the Denons. Considering it has almost 1watt for 30ohm, I assume it will have even more power for the 25ohm Denons. Worried about how much play on the volume knob I will have, as the D7000 is almost IEM sensitive and don't want a low channel imbalance.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #898 of 1,182
I can't really answer, not having the denons... I do find myself, with some mixes on the computer (damn loudness wars), using software volume control to allow for more play at the amp (with 32, 50, and 70 ohm cans). But if you are using line level sources (e.g. SACD via S/PDIF), I don't know what kind of room you'll have to play with. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #900 of 1,182
Honestly, not really all that much (especially at 24 bit or higher). I have never noticed any sound quality degradation, nor have i seen anything that would indicate it would be audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back