Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jun 24, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #601 of 1,182

Quote:
Quote:
From the erji.net translation I gather:

ESS 9018.
AD797 headphone amp stage and BUF634P buffers
Noise floor looks about 10db lower than D100 and better harmonic distortion peaking at the 3rd harmonic at about -114db
THD+N looks like about 0.0003% compared to D100 0.0005%
Using the jitter reduction method built into the ESS dac
Similar I/O to D100 with possibly BNC
A lot of talk about the D18 costing around 3000 yuan but nothing official...

Interesting thanks. Errr, as in amp stage no longer class-a transistor-based. Or same design, just AD797 instead of the op chip used in D100? I gather the ESS chip mention of jitter reduction means it'll no longer do ASRC (not really much of a point anyway).
Any mention on the usb chip used and transfer mode it operates in?

I believe it will still be class-a or class-ab by design, but it appears to be two AD797's instead of the single dual package OPA2134 found in the D100 and the BUF634's instead of a discrete buffer.  Yes, it appears that there will be nothing like ASRC.  I can't see much useful info about the USB.  

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #603 of 1,182
I just tried Erji.net for futher info, but there really isn't much more to go on. I believe the designer was saying it would not have USB at all though. Something about there being plenty of good USB to SPDIF converters out there to choose from, so it would help him keep the price low by leaving that out. That certainly is one way of looking at it. There are plenty of people on that forum who disagree with him though. 

It really seems like they are aiming higher than the D100/A100. Matrix has their new Quattro DAC/amp coming out soon, so that seems like the logical competition for the new Yulong models. I like seeing these companies bring high performance, high value gear to the market. We all win from the competition.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #604 of 1,182
Sorry I haven't been back, thanks for the helpful replies. I did go ahead and get an exchange for it. Just to clarify for other users,

Working with Jtam/coolfungadget during the exchange process has been an absolute pleasure and probably one of the smoothest exchanges I've ever done, especially when you take into consideration he has to collaborate with you internationally. Thanks for everything!

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #606 of 1,182

Quote:
I see that the Yulong doesn't sound great with HD600.

Is it possible that it would sound decent with the HD650 and DT770 600 ohm? I'm looking for a new DAC to pair with those phones and my Woo Audio 6.

Thanks in advance.

I think the posters that found it didn't match with their headphones were using the D100's headphone amp rather than just using it as a pure DAC. Sticking some UE Super Fi 5 Pros in, it's clear and has good extension at the top and bottom, perhaps 'a shade to the bright side of neutral' is accurate, but I'm not sure if that's the basshead in me wanting it to intrude a bit more rather than sitting kindly with the mids and treble.

I'm using the D100 in conjunction with some Focal CMS 50 nearfield speakers/monitors as a DAC and nothing more, and everything sounds balanced, detailed and natural, . I take it your Woo amp is on the warm side of things, so they might even each other out a little? 

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #607 of 1,182
^ Thanks for the little write up.

I auditioned a Rega DAC yesterday for almost 3 hours and really enjoyed it. My guess is that I will go with that unless somehow I can hear the Yulong. I'm particularly attracted to the Yulong because it seems to be such a bargain.

I'm well aware that both DACs I'm considering here are in different leagues. The Rega was just available to try. The Yulong not so much. And I would love to try it.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #608 of 1,182
I got mine for three reasons:
a) it was listed in the classifieds (owner had bought a much more expensive one) and it's already a bargain so I couldn't resist
b) balanced XLR output - needed for my monitors
c) I prefer to avoid incremental upgrades so wanted something I'd keep for a long time. The next DAC I get will be high-end, and won't be for a long time I imagine!

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #609 of 1,182
See? Everyone makes it sound so great for the money. Wish I could try it.
frown.gif

The Rega was darn good though, and will likely suffice, however
tongue_smile.gif
(If I buy it).

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #610 of 1,182
I ordered the D100 directly from Tam Audio's website after reading Project86's excellent review and now (2 days later) I've finally finished reading the entire thread :)

I was hoping the D100 could drive my HD650's adequately until I eventually cave in and order a dedicated amp to go with the D100... I'm upgrading from a superpro 707 dac & Maverick A1 amp (Mullard 8100 tubes). Any thoughts on how much less power the headamp in the D100 kicks out in comparison to the A1?

I like the D100 being just on the bright side of neutral as this should pair up nicely with the rather dark HD650. Not many HD650 users in this thread but in case any of you have tried the D100/HD650 combo: Is it good enough/passable or just flat out horrible when running them straight from the D100?

WRT adding an amp... What to do on a $400 budget? Matrix Quattro balanced + recable the HD650 or just go with the A100? 

Slightly off-topic: Why haven't Yulong matched the lights in the analog VU meters on the A100 to the display on the D100 or vice versa? 

Still waiting for a shipping confirmation or tracking #, 2 days after ordering the D100... Yeah, I'm impatient. I want my D100, dammit!

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #611 of 1,182

Quote:
I ordered the D100 directly from Tam Audio's website after reading Project86's excellent review and now (2 days later) I've finally finished reading the entire thread :)

I was hoping the D100 could drive my HD650's adequately until I eventually cave in and order a dedicated amp to go with the D100... I'm upgrading from a superpro 707 dac & Maverick A1 amp (Mullard 8100 tubes). Any thoughts on how much less power the headamp in the D100 kicks out in comparison to the A1?

I like the D100 being just on the bright side of neutral as this should pair up nicely with the rather dark HD650. Not many HD650 users in this thread but in case any of you have tried the D100/HD650 combo: Is it good enough/passable or just flat out horrible when running them straight from the D100?

WRT adding an amp... What to do on a $400 budget? Matrix Quattro balanced + recable the HD650 or just go with the A100? 

Slightly off-topic: Why haven't Yulong matched the lights in the analog VU meters on the A100 to the display on the D100 or vice versa? 

Still waiting for a shipping confirmation or tracking #, 2 days after ordering the D100... Yeah, I'm impatient. I want my D100, dammit!

Thanks for the comments! I hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I have.

I personally think the HD650 sounds rather good from the D100, but some others here have been less than excited about the combination. You'll have to try for yourself I guess. I doubt you will find it horrible though. The Mav A1 claims 500mW for a 300 ohm load, and the D100 claims 130mW. So you are taking a hit in max current delivery. That will likely only show up when listening at really loud levels. 

I've got both the A100 and the Quattro amp running balanced (to an HD600 rather than 650 though). I need more time playing with the different configurations but I'll let you know my thoughts when I can. Remind me if I forget!

Off topic.... I don't know why they did that. Maybe they tried blue lights on the A100 and thought it looked weird when used as a stand alone unit? Or maybe they just didn't really think about it? The combo does look good when used together, despite that mismatch.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #612 of 1,182

Quote:
Thanks for the comments! I hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I have.

I personally think the HD650 sounds rather good from the D100, but some others here have been less than excited about the combination. You'll have to try for yourself I guess. I doubt you will find it horrible though. The Mav A1 claims 500mW for a 300 ohm load, and the D100 claims 130mW. So you are taking a hit in max current delivery. That will likely only show up when listening at really loud levels. 

I've got both the A100 and the Quattro amp running balanced (to an HD600 rather than 650 though). I need more time playing with the different configurations but I'll let you know my thoughts when I can. Remind me if I forget!
Off topic.... I don't know why they did that. Maybe they tried blue lights on the A100 and thought it looked weird when used as a stand alone unit? Or maybe they just didn't really think about it? The combo does look good when used together, despite that mismatch.

Awesome, just as I was hoping it would be - pretty good, with room for improvement :)

Then I think I'll be saving up for a balanced amp, any initial comments on the Quattro?

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #613 of 1,182
Even on erji.net A18 have literally nothing except that it uses full discreet components. D18 supposedly have amazing specs and is also confirmed to have no USB out (Designer said that usb to coaxial converters are of good quality and are cheap nowadays).

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #614 of 1,182

Quote:
Awesome, just as I was hoping it would be - pretty good, with room for improvement :)

Then I think I'll be saving up for a balanced amp, any initial comments on the Quattro?

The balanced amp is great. I don't want to recommend it strictly on it's price, but the fact that it is the cheapest balanced amp I've seen is hard to avoid. The next cheapest options (that I know of) are the Einar Sound VC-01i at $599 and the Blossom 0169 at $699. The Einar has had a few positive comments, and the Blossom is a virtual unknown. I seriously doubt that either of them offers much more than the Quattro amp, which after all is based on the tried and true M-Stage design. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564151/matrix-quattro-amp-unboxing-and-initial-impressions

Quote:
Even on erji.net A18 have literally nothing except that it uses full discreet components. D18 supposedly have amazing specs and is also confirmed to have no USB out (Designer said that usb to coaxial converters are of good quality and are cheap nowadays).

That was my impression as well. So where did you read about the D100 USB upgrade?

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #615 of 1,182

Quote:
The balanced amp is great. I don't want to recommend it strictly on it's price, but the fact that it is the cheapest balanced amp I've seen is hard to avoid. The next cheapest options (that I know of) are the Einar Sound VC-01i at $599 and the Blossom 0169 at $699. The Einar has had a few positive comments, and the Blossom is a virtual unknown. I seriously doubt that either of them offers much more than the Quattro amp, which after all is based on the tried and true M-Stage design. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564151/matrix-quattro-amp-unboxing-and-initial-impressions

Sweet, looks like I'll be saving my pennies for the Quattro then, thanks for posting your initial thoughts!

On another note: It's now been 3 days since I ordered (and paid!) my D100 from Tam Audio. No shipping conformation yet. Nor any reply to the two emails and one PM I've sent. I'm sure I'll get my D100, I'd just love to know WHEN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back