Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jan 29, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #361 of 1,182
I've had 2 issues with my D100. The D100 will lose the signal from my PC once in awhile. I think this may have something to do with plugging/unplugging headphones from my ext amp. Regardless, the display reads "NoSignal" and the computer no longer sees the device. I have to turn off the unit then turn it back on to get a signal again. This has happened on both my Mac and PC. The second issue I've had is when I have the unit on and working for extended hours (more than 8 hours or so such as when I leave it on to listen as I go to sleep). The sound curiously starts cutting out and sometimes I lose the connection between my computer and the D100. I will then turn off the unit and let it cool down. After that, it works fine again. I'd hate to have to deal with a Chinese company for warranty repairs especially with the shipping hassles at my expense and no guarantee they could actually fix it the first time. I figure, as long as these are the only problems I have with my unit, I'll just hang onto it and throw it out if I ever upgrade.

Quote:
Has anyone had any issues with their Yulong D100? I've never bought anything this expensive from China before so if warranty issues were to come up I'd like to have a responsive seller that's helpful.

I think what I'm going to do is buy the Yulong D100 and if I ever get something such as orthodynamics I'll get a powerful amp. I'll use the D100 for dynamics and that be enough for me. 

I'll buy these when tax season is over so I'll actually be at home so mid to late April should be when I get these.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #362 of 1,182
>'ve had 2 issues with my D100. The D100 will lose the signal from my PC once in awhile. I think this may have something to do
with plugging/unplugging headphones from my ext amp. Regardless, the display reads "NoSignal" and the computer no longer sees the device. I have to turn off the unit then turn it back on to get a signal again.

Yep, this is the same issue I was talking about. Except for me it happens with plugging/unplugging things in/out of either the HP or line out...but not consistently it seems.

don't have the prolonged listening one, but I never use my unit for more than 2 hours. Although it does get quite hot where I live (30-40 deg C)

p.s wrt to grados and d100 - I tried a loaner pair of HF-2 from Stang with my D100 a while back, and it was the most caustic treble I've heard. UN-listenable.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #363 of 1,182

Quote:
Svyr says bright.
Anymore opinions? What's the consensus?  Bright or Neutral?  Anyone use it with Grados?

I think that the D100 amp has an energetic and revealing treble, but nonetheless I find it above all neutral and transparent instead of bright.
With my stock GMP 450 Pro, I'm definitely getting a bright sound but it's more the headphone fault since it's an already bright sounding one. (which doesn't really bother me because it's tonal balance is very easily tunable via different earpads)
I believe that the Yulong D100 might make for a bright and thin sound when paired with more difficult to drive headphones because it might be driving those headphones with suboptimal amplification and not necessarily because the amp has a bright character.
In a way, I think that's hapening with my GMP 450 Pro (2*300Ohms).
With my easier to drive and very transparent Head Direct RE0 IEM, which has a bright and thin character, I don't find the Yulong D100 amp to make the sound brighter nor thinner nor darker nor thicker than the IEM own character.
The same with my other IEMs.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #364 of 1,182

Quote:
I've had 2 issues with my D100. The D100 will lose the signal from my PC once in awhile. I think this may have something to do with plugging/unplugging headphones from my ext amp. Regardless, the display reads "NoSignal" and the computer no longer sees the device. I have to turn off the unit then turn it back on to get a signal again. This has happened on both my Mac and PC. The second issue I've had is when I have the unit on and working for extended hours (more than 8 hours or so such as when I leave it on to listen as I go to sleep). The sound curiously starts cutting out and sometimes I lose the connection between my computer and the D100. I will then turn off the unit and let it cool down. After that, it works fine again. I'd hate to have to deal with a Chinese company for warranty repairs especially with the shipping hassles at my expense and no guarantee they could actually fix it the first time. I figure, as long as these are the only problems I have with my unit, I'll just hang onto it and throw it out if I ever upgrade.

Quote:
Has anyone had any issues with their Yulong D100? I've never bought anything this expensive from China before so if warranty issues were to come up I'd like to have a responsive seller that's helpful.

I think what I'm going to do is buy the Yulong D100 and if I ever get something such as orthodynamics I'll get a powerful amp. I'll use the D100 for dynamics and that be enough for me. 

I'll buy these when tax season is over so I'll actually be at home so mid to late April should be when I get these.

And my D100 doesn't have none of the starnge issues that are being reported.
Just channel imbalance at low volumes with my IEMs...
Haven´t used the line out yet, though...

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #365 of 1,182
is it better to get the yulong d100 from ebay or from audiophilechina.com

it seems it's cheaper from audiophilechina but no one seems to mention them.

thanks

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #366 of 1,182

Quote:
Anymore opinions? What's the consensus?  Bright or Neutral?  Anyone use it with Grados?

I use Grado RS-1s (not the i version) and find the D100 neutral & very revealing.  That being said, bright recordings will be very evident using RS-1s.  However, unlike most on this thread, I find that Soundmode 2 takes the edge off of sibilant recordings quite nicely without sacrificing significant detail. 

That being said, I still prefer using my MAD Ear+ as my primary amp (with most recordings) with the D100 as the source.  The internal D100 amp is solid though and should please you for a good long time until you decide to upgrade.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #367 of 1,182
Thanks.  I'm planning to order.

Quote:
Quote:

I use Grado RS-1s (not the i version) and find the D100 neutral & very revealing.  That being said, bright recordings will be very evident using RS-1s.  However, unlike most on this thread, I find that Soundmode 2 takes the edge off of sibilant recordings quite nicely without sacrificing significant detail. 

That being said, I still prefer using my MAD Ear+ as my primary amp (with most recordings) with the D100 as the source.  The internal D100 amp is solid though and should please you for a good long time until you decide to upgrade.

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #369 of 1,182

Quote:

thanks

Cheaper but... make a search with "audiophilechina" on this forum and you'll see by yourself...

If no one mention it perhaps there are good reasons...

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #371 of 1,182
Question. Rather than buying an adapter for the plug I'd rather just get a new power cable since I could do with the supplied one being a bit longer, regardless of the pin-type. What's the technical name for the cable type? I'm having a brain-fart moment!

EDIT - it's a 'kettle' lead isn't it? 
EDIT 2 - 'plug to IEC cable' is the technical term!

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #372 of 1,182

Quote:

thanks

I got mine from Audiophilechinea.com and have no reason to complain...
1 week after payment, the packge arrived at my home and had no issue with customs.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #373 of 1,182
To answer my own question, found this earlier in the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499562/review-yulong-d100-dac-amp-reference-quality-with-a-reasonable-price/285#post_7189228

Just ordered a standard 1.8m power lead from OCUK, so that's me sorted.

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #374 of 1,182
JTam,

Does the Chinese New Year affect your shipping?
Is it correct that DHL will not be in service until Feb. 11?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back