Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Feb 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #377 of 1,182
I got my Yulong D100 recently and have hooked it up to my PC yesterday. I noticed that I am picking up computer noise even though I am connected through toslink. So for example if I am scrolling down a webpage on Firefox I'd hear noise through my headphone. If I turn off the D100 I do not hear it. Has anyone experienced the same problem with the D100?

Here's my setup:

PC (foobar WASAPI) -> toslink -> Yulong D100 -> RCA (diy cable) -> La Figaro 339 -> DT990

The noise level is only noticeable if I am not playing music and crank up the volume controls on my amp....but still I'd prefer not having any kind of noise :frowning2: And if I plug my amp directly into the PC using a min-RCA connection then the noise gets a LOT worse.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #378 of 1,182
That's pretty strange. Is your mouse wireless? The only other likely explanation I can think of is there is a power supply problem on your PC's soundcard that is interfering with its optical emitter.

To help narrow down the list of possibilities, try testing directly with the D100's headphone amp. And try using the USB input instead of toslink to see if anything changes.

Quote:
I got my Yulong D100 recently and have hooked it up to my PC yesterday. I noticed that I am picking up computer noise even though I am connected through toslink. So for example if I am scrolling down a webpage on Firefox I'd hear noise through my headphone. If I turn off the D100 I do not hear it. Has anyone experienced the same problem with the D100?

Here's my setup:

PC (foobar WASAPI) -> toslink -> Yulong D100 -> RCA (diy cable) -> La Figaro 339 -> DT990

The noise level is only noticeable if I am not playing music and crank up the volume controls on my amp....but still I'd prefer not having any kind of noise :frowning2: And if I plug my amp directly into the PC using a min-RCA connection then the noise gets a LOT worse.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #379 of 1,182
Just got my d100 and will recommend buying through coolfungadget's (tam's audio) website, as it had the cheapest price I could find online ($9 less than audiophilechina, much less than ebay sellers), and mr. tam's reputation for customer service is solid.

I've barely listened to it but first impressions: smaller than it looks, lighter than it looks, aluminum brush looks real nice, amp is very very quiet. sound is ...wow, beautiful. superb stereo separation, soundstaging, and low frequency detail. kinda sad for me because it makes some artists' songs I listen to frequently so detailed I can't listen to it, and I have to go back to my lo-fi friendly fuze.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #380 of 1,182
What do you mean so detailed you can't listen to it?
Do you mean it's too bright or so detailed that it's distracting?
Please elaborate as I'm planning to order.

Thanks

Just got my d100 and will recommend buying through coolfungadget's (tam's audio) website, as it had the cheapest price I could find online ($9 less than audiophilechina, much less than ebay sellers), and mr. tam's reputation for customer service is solid.

I've barely listened to it but first impressions: smaller than it looks, lighter than it looks, aluminum brush looks real nice, amp is very very quiet. sound is ...wow, beautiful. superb stereo separation, soundstaging, and low frequency detail. kinda sad for me because it makes some artists' songs I listen to frequently so detailed I can't listen to it, and I have to go back to my lo-fi friendly fuze.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #381 of 1,182

Thanks

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #382 of 1,182

Thanks

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #384 of 1,182

Quote:
What do you mean so detailed you can't listen to it? Do you mean it's too bright or so detailed that it's distracting? Please elaborate as I'm planning to order. Thanks

I think he means that classic discovery a lot of us make when listening to music we like through good gear for the first time; if it was badly recorded/mastered then all the flaws are going to be painfully obvious to the ears where as on more forgiving and less accurate/revealing systems it doesn't offend our ears as much. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #385 of 1,182
It's not bright at all, but very neutral, as most everyone has said. There was definitely more bass than I expected though. 
But I meant so detailed it's distracting. With my fuze, all the sounds blend and mash together in a very intimate and comfortable presentation. Maybe "musical" is one way to describe it. With the d100 and most probably any other good source, I can now hear all the individual sounds spread throughout a wide soundscape. Not sure if this can be applied to dacs and amps, but I would describe the sound as "analytical." It's distracting since I can't just sit back and listen. However, this only happens with some music. Most other music I've listened to, the enhanced detail has made listening more enjoyable, and I expect I may like those few songs more as I get used to the sound.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #386 of 1,182
Thanks for elaborating.  I'm happy to hear that its neutral and that there is bass and soundstage.  Sometimes neutral amps tend to be bass lean, treble bright and narrow soundstage (like Nuforce HDP).
What headphone are you using? 

Quote:
It's not bright at all, but very neutral, as most everyone has said. There was definitely more bass than I expected though. 
But I meant so detailed it's distracting. With my fuze, all the sounds blend and mash together in a very intimate and comfortable presentation. Maybe "musical" is one way to describe it. With the d100 and most probably any other good source, I can now hear all the individual sounds spread throughout a wide soundscape. Not sure if this can be applied to dacs and amps, but I would describe the sound as "analytical." It's distracting since I can't just sit back and listen. However, this only happens with some music. Most other music I've listened to, the enhanced detail has made listening more enjoyable, and I expect I may like those few songs more as I get used to the sound.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #387 of 1,182
Try to scroll your web browser using the keyboard? If the noise is still there, the problem is with your display card driver instead of the mouse.

Quote:

Here's my setup:

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #388 of 1,182
Radius HP-TWF11r (iems) currently, but I'm getting an amp and lcd-2 in 2-3 weeks

Quote:
Thanks for elaborating.  I'm happy to hear that its neutral and that there is bass and soundstage.  Sometimes neutral amps tend to be bass lean, treble bright and narrow soundstage (like Nuforce HDP).
What headphone are you using? 

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #389 of 1,182

Quote:

Here's my setup:

It's pretty weird that you have that kind of interference over TOSLink. It's usually caused by interference from a video card, I get this issue when using an amp directly connected to onboard sound or soundcard which is installed beside the video card.

If you have a 3D video card installed, try moving it to the lowest pci-e slot possible if you have more than one pci-e 16x slot available. I know there was certain asus boards that had ground-loop issues with the topmost slot.

Also try using USB and see if you still have the issue.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #390 of 1,182
project86
any comparisons between the yulong d100 and yulong 1704 dac as dac and amp?
is the yulong 1704 superior as dac and amp?

price is only little bit more.

thanks

Edit: Found info on this thread.  thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back