Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Feb 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #391 of 1,182
project86
any comparisons between the yulong d100 and yulong 1704 dac as dac and amp?
is the yulong 1704 superior as dac and amp?

price is only little bit more.

thanks

Edit: Found info on this thread.  thanks

if you're intending to buy a 1704 from audiophile china, I wouldn't bother. I tried to and was told it was out of stock/discontinued

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #393 of 1,182
Heyas, just want to say thank you to Project86 and everyone else who contributed useful tidbits to this thread. i've read through it end to end, spot checked it quite a few times over the last couple of weeks, and finally picked one up today.  

I am really enjoying it.  I am not sure whether it is the DAC or the amp section doing the impressive stuff, reviews say DAC but coming from a d12 for my hd600, I've been grinning ear to ear all afternoon. Bass is tighter and the soundstage seems a good bit bigger.  Downside, I am really starting to hate some of my poorly ripped music, and I am even getting bored of some of my albums which just don't sound as impressive compared to some better recorded tunes that I have.  Really lets ya know what artists are putting a lot of thought into the creation of their discs.  

A friend of mine has been along for most of my gear accumulation, and though she was always impressed, and a tad jealous, her response to the addition of the d100 was "Where is that world? I want to go there! It's almost tangible!"

Anyway, quick gripe (hopefully one with an easy solution): The pot feels cheap, really cheap.  The first quarter turn is smooth, well for a stepped pot, but then above that it feels like something is dragging.  I thought I had read something along these lines in one of these threads but can't find it now.  Anyone else have this problem or know a fix?  It isn't a deal breaker, but it is just one of those little things that will bother me.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #394 of 1,182
Coatze: a few people have had that volume knob issue. I believe the fix is to pull it out slightly, as it is only held on by pressure rather than a screw. If you pull it out too much (or even all the way), not to worry, just push it back on. You really can't mess it up. That should fix your "dragging" problem.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #395 of 1,182

Quote:
Quote:
I got my Yulong D100 recently and have hooked it up to my PC yesterday. I noticed that I am picking up computer noise even though I am connected through toslink. So for example if I am scrolling down a webpage on Firefox I'd hear noise through my headphone. If I turn off the D100 I do not hear it. Has anyone experienced the same problem with the D100?

Here's my setup:

PC (foobar WASAPI) -> toslink -> Yulong D100 -> RCA (diy cable) -> La Figaro 339 -> DT990

The noise level is only noticeable if I am not playing music and crank up the volume controls on my amp....but still I'd prefer not having any kind of noise :frowning2: And if I plug my amp directly into the PC using a min-RCA connection then the noise gets a LOT worse.

It's pretty weird that you have that kind of interference over TOSLink. It's usually caused by interference from a video card, I get this issue when using an amp directly connected to onboard sound or soundcard which is installed beside the video card.

If you have a 3D video card installed, try moving it to the lowest pci-e slot possible if you have more than one pci-e 16x slot available. I know there was certain asus boards that had ground-loop issues with the topmost slot.

Also try using USB and see if you still have the issue.

After playing around with different settings I believe the noise is being picked up by my RCA cables. I am still disappointed because I made the cables myself and I was sure the shielding is soldered on properly. I moved the DAC around and found a location that is slightly less prone to noise. I am inclined to believe that noise is generated by my LCD monitor and not from my wireless mouse.

I can only hear the noise if I crank up my amp to very high level........at which it'd probably blow up my headphone anyway. So it has become a non-issue.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #396 of 1,182
Anyone order from Tam Audio/coolfungadget?
Did anyone get any shipping notification or tracking/confirmation from Tam Audio/coolfungadget (jeffery) when you ordered your yulong d100?  Or does it just show up on your doorstep?

thanks

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #398 of 1,182
I ordered on 2nd but because of Chinese New Year, the shipping is delayed. He said he would ship on 8th (they are one day ahead), but have not received tracking or returned my email.
I'm assuming it's still because of Chinese New Year.  Hopefully I'll hear soon.  Never ordered from China before.  Little nervous.

thanks 

Quote:
I haven´t ordered anything from him, but from what I have read Tam has a solid reputation and is a safe guy to buy from. I´d send him an email and ask for a tracking code.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #399 of 1,182
Don't worry, he's a great guy to deal with.

Quote:
I ordered on 2nd but because of Chinese New Year, the shipping is delayed. He said he would ship on 8th (they are one day ahead), but have not received tracking or returned my email.
I'm assuming it's still because of Chinese New Year.  Hopefully I'll hear soon.  Never ordered from China before.  Little nervous.

thanks 

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #400 of 1,182
Most places I've seen say everything is closed until the 13th (or maybe it was 12th, I can't remember). I'm not sure if they were implying that they are closed, or the shipping companies, or both.

But I wouldn't worry about JTam. A few people have had issues where they wish he had given them a tracking number sooner, but I believe everything ends up delivered in a timely fashion in the end. You should not be disappointed.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #402 of 1,182
are you sure the usb input of the d100 sounds exactly as the s/pdif input? i'd like to hear more opinions on this from other d100 owners.
also, can you compare it to the musical fidelity v-dac and the matrix cube?
thanks.

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #403 of 1,182

Quote:
are you sure the usb input of the d100 sounds exactly as the s/pdif input? i'd like to hear more opinions on this from other d100 owners.
thanks.

No, i don't think that is the case.
I do get a fairly audible noise on the s/pdif input, with my Asus Xonar essence STX.
Also some of the mid-high range seems to be eaten up, very sligtly of course, but still.

So i use USB for music and s/pdif for games.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #404 of 1,182

Quote:
Quote:
thanks.

No, i don't think that is the case.
I do get a fairly audible noise on the s/pdif input, with my Asus Xonar essence STX.
Also some of the mid-high range seems to be eaten up, very sligtly of course, but still.

So i use USB for music and s/pdif for games.

usb sounds better than s/pdif for music?! maybe its because the s/pdif output of your STX is of low quality?
but what makes the s/pdif better for games?

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #405 of 1,182
Yes, in my humble opinion, but there are others who don't agree with me.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523807/yulong-d100-upgrade-over-xonar-essence-stx

s/pdif is better for games because the source now is the sound card, which has EAX and other positional technologies that helps gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back