Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Sep 4, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #93 of 1,182

Quote:
Thanks project86. So when you play 44.1 files, what was the sample rate figure showing on D100? 44.1 right? I totally agree with you and normally don't do any upsampling in foobar as well and just leave it as what it is, or at least keep it exact doubling if you do upsampling files.

By the way, when you said "let the D100 do the heavy lifting", did you mean that the ASRC hardware in the D100 will automatically up- or re-sample the 44.1 music to higher rate or something? Sorry if this sounds silly. I am new to the DAC world and especially the ASRC.

Thanks

Yep, the D100 will display whatever the sample rate is for the incoming signal. I've seen mine display 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96. Supposedly the coaxial and optical inputs can handle up to 192, but it is hard to find a source that can send that so I haven't verified. All of my SACD and DVD-A titles seem to have the watermark where they will only output over analog outputs, I guess for copy protection. I do have an idea that I have been meaning to try though....

You have the right idea about the ASRC process. It resamples everything (from 44.1 to 192) to a 110kHz rate, which for has some advantages. Benchmark does the same thing with their gear, here is an interesting article about it:
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2010/07/1/asynchronous-upsampling-110-khz

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #94 of 1,182

Quote:
Yep, the D100 will display whatever the sample rate is for the incoming signal. I've seen mine display 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96. Supposedly the coaxial and optical inputs can handle up to 192, but it is hard to find a source that can send that so I haven't verified. All of my SACD and DVD-A titles seem to have the watermark where they will only output over analog outputs, I guess for copy protection. I do have an idea that I have been meaning to try though....

You have the right idea about the ASRC process. It resamples everything (from 44.1 to 192) to a 110kHz rate, which for has some advantages. Benchmark does the same thing with their gear, here is an interesting article about it:
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2010/07/1/asynchronous-upsampling-110-khz

Great! This is really helpful. Thanks project86.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #96 of 1,182

Quote:
Hmm I can see it not doing much up to 96khz but if a song is 192khz wouldn't down sampling to 110khz be detrimental?  Granted I don't even own any music above 24/96

The only 192kHz material I have are in the form of FLAC files. Since the USB input only handles 96kHz and below, I have to use Foobar to resample at 96kHz.... In other words, I don't have a way of hearing those files in their full capacity to compare how the resampling sounds. None of my DACs handle over 96kHz via USB.

I highly doubt it is noticable though. It's not like chopping a 44.1kHz file down to 32kHz or something..... which would be very noticable.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #97 of 1,182

Quote:
A comparison to HDP and/or FUN would be nice as all three are at pretty much the same price. Anybody?

I think you're better off making a decision on your own, nobody seems to own both the HDP and FUN and naturally people suggest you the product that they own without hearing the other.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #101 of 1,182
I don't have the money for a balanced rig yet, but the XRL balance out is also good if you have a pair of monitors with XRL input and volume control. This is another reason why I consider the D100 cuz I was thinking upgrading my AV40 to Bx5a which has XRL input and volume control.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #102 of 1,182
Nice review, project86. I'm really interested in the D100, so I ordered one from wsz0304 on Ebay. Anyone know how long it takes to ship from China with expedited flat rate? (I'm very psyched and can't wait to try 'em out, especially the DAC section :)

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #103 of 1,182
Well the FUN is supposed to be more colorful(even going as far I think to include some dip switches just to mess with the sound slightly).  Far as I have gathered from reading about it.  The Yulong on the other hand based on what has been said in this thread strives more for transparency than anything else.

With the Yulong it looks like your paying $250 for a DAC that competes with the likes of the Benchmark DAC1($1000), and $250 for an amp that compares to the likes of the Matrix M-Stage which can be compared to more expensive amps as well.

I have heard neither so I am just going by what has been stated here and elsewhere.

Quote:
From what I gathered, based on what I read here, its rated better then the FUN. But with what DAC/Opamps in the FUN, I have no idea.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #104 of 1,182
Somehow Google Translate doesn't work well on erji.net, so I'd like to ask miyinan or other reading there:

Are there any problems with the D100 being discussed on that forum that haven't surfaced here?

Did anyone perform RMAA measurements on the D100?

What about the problem of losing USB synchronization and subsequent hissing as reported by npdang - any more information on that?

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #105 of 1,182
I'm a little confused with these balanced outputs.... are these "real", "fully" balanced, as found in Audio-Gd geardescription, or ist it only a balanced connection? It's important to me, an also for everyone, who is planning in building a complete "real balanced headphone rig". I plan to use this as a DAC-only (if fully balanced) and connect it with a V181 and a recabled D7000. What do you think, am I on the right way, when ordering this nice piece of gear? Or should I immediatly go with a "truly balanced" Dac like the Reference 5 from Audio Gd? In fact, is there a difference? Thanks
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back