Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Sep 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #122 of 1,182

Quote:
No, the DAC section is always active.

Thanks project86,

So, basically, if I plug in my headphone and have a pair of active speakers connected through the line out, I will get sound coming from both of them? If so, then I will need to turn off the speakers everytime I use headphones, which is a bit annoying.

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #123 of 1,182
Pretty typical, though.  This thing is really a DAC that happens to have a headphone amp - that the RCA outs are always active is not much of a surprise, although using active monitors myself, I get your issue (I run the Yulong through my RSA Stealth preamp, though, before heading to my Dynaudio BM5A's).

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #124 of 1,182

Quote:
Pretty typical, though.  This thing is really a DAC that happens to have a headphone amp - that the RCA outs are always active is not much of a surprise, although using active monitors myself, I get your issue (I run the Yulong through my RSA Stealth preamp, though, before heading to my Dynaudio BM5A's).

Thanks for your comment

It seems to be a really nice dac and I would second this if it has a selectable mode or something to deactivate the dac line out.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #125 of 1,182
This sounds like a very interesting unit. I'm curious as to how it would compare to my Channel Islands Audio VDA-1/VAC-1 DAC and PS combo. Would any of you happen to have insight or opinions on that?

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #126 of 1,182

Quote:
look forward to your updates on this. If this is a problem, I think that I will hold my money a little longer:).

So I left the D100 on for the past few days, processing a 96kHz signal from the USB input and playing at medium volume to some IEMs. I have another component sitting on top of the D100, also turned on for burn-in purposes. So far no errors or issues. With the 2 units both on, the cases are somewhat warm, but not hot.

The weather this week is more mild than last week. I'm going to assume that the very high ambient temperature is what was causing my problem. I still have no way of knowing if it was a problem with the D100 itself or with my Dell Mini. But at this point it's not something I'm worried about. If we get another round of really warm days I'll be sure to test it again.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #127 of 1,182
thanks for the update, project86

Quote:

So I left the D100 on for the past few days, processing a 96kHz signal from the USB input and playing at medium volume to some IEMs. I have another component sitting on top of the D100, also turned on for burn-in purposes. So far no errors or issues. With the 2 units both on, the cases are somewhat warm, but not hot.

The weather this week is more mild than last week. I'm going to assume that the very high ambient temperature is what was causing my problem. I still have no way of knowing if it was a problem with the D100 itself or with my Dell Mini. But at this point it's not something I'm worried about. If we get another round of really warm days I'll be sure to test it again.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #129 of 1,182

What are the differences between the low and high headphone output? How high should the headphone impedance be to actually plug it into the high output?

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #130 of 1,182

Quote:

What are the differences between the low and high headphone output? How high should the headphone impedance be to actually plug it into the high output?

In general it is 0-300 ohms for low impedance phones and 300-600 ohms for high impedance.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #131 of 1,182
it is more of a personal taste, the designer said that the all full size cans could be plugged into either headphone output and he suggested to try both to find out which one you like better. He recommends to use the low headphone out with IEMs. project86 addressed this in his review as well.

Quote:

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #132 of 1,182
I was reading the HDP thread and it seemed that Headphoneaddict was sending the HDP to Skylab. So maybe there will be a comparison coming out soon
dt880smile.png

Quote:
Bojamijams said:

More comparisons would be awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
shaggy said:

how does the d100 compare to the nuforce hdp?

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #133 of 1,182
I'm actually pretty backed up in terms of reviews right now, so while I may get to this, it will be several weeks at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back