REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Jul 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #61 of 1,613
Quote:

See, this all assumes Kingwa has any rhyme or reason to his naming conventions. I'm not so sure he does.... Ref 7 to Ref 7.1 was one of the few clear naming choices. NFB-1.32? NFB-2.32? I'm lost.

haha i was wrong though, i think the 9 series was TOTL single ended non acss dac, the 8 series was TOTL balanced non acss dac...

But he does kind of have a rhyme and reason to his naming...i kind of :get: it i think

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #62 of 1,613
Quote:

See, this all assumes Kingwa has any rhyme or reason to his naming conventions. I'm not so sure he does.... Ref 7 to Ref 7.1 was one of the few clear naming choices. NFB-1.32? NFB-2.32? I'm lost.

The products may be worthwhile but the main reason I looked elsewhere is that Audio GD is all over the board with their product numerous changes and quirky descriptions. Reminds me of dim sum.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #63 of 1,613
I have to say I love DA8 more than X-Sabre after careful comparison. The two new DSD DACs are at the same level of price. So I bought them at the same time for convenience in comparison. I found DA8 has a better sound image and it place every sound at the exact position while X-Sabre was a little erratic. Besides, DA8 obviously has a smoother and more gentle treble. Fianlly, despite X-Sabre's impressive workmanship, I sold X-Sabre while keep DA8 for its emotional and touching performance in vocal.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #64 of 1,613
Quote:
Continuing Grounding Problem with Yulong DA8

I connected it to my other stereo system and I am having the same grounding problem. I notice that playing a DSD 128 track after a DSD 64 track or vice versa results in two bursts of noise. Playing a DSD track either 64 or 128 after another type of resolution such as DXD or Redbook, results in one burst of noise. Closing the JRiver Media software program results in one burst of noise. I have sent an email to the seller, JTam on how to return it or do they have someone in the U.S who can look at it?   

This is a common problem. You should try cross-fade in the track change settings.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #66 of 1,613
Quote:
awesome review project86!
any chance you will be comparing DA8 with exaSound E20?

I second that.

I'm more interested in comparison with multichannel E28 which i'm contemplating for my active loudspeaker project, but i assume they share the same house sound.

exaSound products need more recognition on head-fi!

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #67 of 1,613
Discussion seems to be slowing down...
OK, a technical question: is the usb input galvanically isolated? The amanero board itself apparently not.
Maybe Yulong implemented isolation further in the signal path?

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #68 of 1,613
Quote:
Discussion seems to be slowing down...
OK, a technical question: is the usb input galvanically isolated? The amanero board itself apparently not.
Maybe Yulong implemented isolation further in the signal path?

Just put electrical tape over USB pins 1&4. This negates the need for galvanic isolation and then its fed via Amanero chipset with class A power. 
biggrin.gif
 Yulong was thoughtful enough to implement this in his design. Quite a powerful USB input indeed. I went from jitter eliminator to "ON" then covering the power pins which allowed me to set it to "Bypass".

If you look at any USB cable, you'll see there are 4 runs of connectors on the female end.

Simply cut two very thin strips of electrical tape and put them over pins 1 & 4 to effectively isolate all power from the CPU.

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #69 of 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Simply cut two very thin strips of electrical tape and put them over pins 1 & 4 to effectively isolate all power from the CPU.

Thanks for the tip - cheap and simple! Definitely worth trying
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #73 of 1,613
no one said, that is a galvanic isolation
biggrin.gif

Q: OK, a technical question: is the usb input galvanically isolated? The amanero board itself apparently not.
A: Just put electrical tape over USB pins 1&4. This negates the need for galvanic isolation and then its fed via Amanero chipset with class A power.

Wrong answer

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #74 of 1,613
Quote:
Q: OK, a technical question: is the usb input galvanically isolated? The amanero board itself apparently not.
A: Just put electrical tape over USB pins 1&4. This negates the need for galvanic isolation and then its fed via Amanero chipset with class A power.

Wrong answer

Well I never said it was galvanic isolation. The main reason people want galvanic isolation on USB is to eliminate "dirty PC power" from creeping in the signal path. The method i described does just that. However you are correct in that its not galvanic isolation. You can elaborate more on that if you wish.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #75 of 1,613
I'm sorry but I can't elaborate "more" because english isn't my language but:
galvanic isolation has nothing to do with the "dirty PC power"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_isolation
http://www.exasound.com/e20DAC/Measurements.aspx
http://www.ti.com/sc/data/msp/1394/preview/isolate.pdf
http://www.exadevices.com/exaU2I/Overview.aspx
wink.gif

Add: I use a firewire cable with pins covered by tape 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back