REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Jul 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #31 of 1,613
Quote:
Matrix wins again 
L3000.gif

P.S. I have the "wrong" Mytek... 
o2smile.gif

I don't know if it "wins", it's more like a tie - with one doing some things better than the other, and vice-versa. Also worth considering is the hot XLR out of the X-Sabre, which at 6.8V is pretty high compared to others. It makes level matching difficult for A/B comparisons with the DA8, and it may end up not working with some equipment. So if you'll be using XLR with the X-Sabre, be aware of that potential issue.

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #32 of 1,613
I think the Mytek has higher output than Matrix on XLR.

Do you agree with these reviews below (especially for what concerns the Yulong?)
http://www.soundbsessive.com/room/?p=828
http://www.soundbsessive.com/room/?p=870

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #33 of 1,613
this is my  1.5 months  burn-in impression:

this is my setup>
dac: da8 & m7
head amp: audio-gd m6
headphone: hd800 , he6
computer: 6 years old toshiba notebook, and desktop: 1 year old amd 4 cores . ram :  8 gg.
dsd recorder: korg mr-2000
software: foobar , jriver, and hqplayer.

this review will be focused at cas and dac part:

maybe i am get used to the sound of audio-gd master 7, at the very beginning , i would take 1 week burn-in  da8 for comparsion.

and i really wanted to sell da8. 

first 2 weeks , i mainly used jriver, and toshiba notebook .  and the sound was dry, slow, weak, 
3rd week, i changed to foobar and the same notebook.  it is improving but i still wanted to sell it. 
4th week, let it burn-in, and enjoyed m7.
6 th week (last night) , i changed to desktop computer , and hqplayer,  and the impression was; wow!!!
details, wide soundstage, punch, speed , control, all come back. 

software good for da8 : hqplayer > foobar > jriver.

this desktop powered m7 and da8 pretty good, much better than 6 years old toshiba notebook. 

1st 1 -2 weeks impression may bring you miss a good dac. 

the downside is the treble, the m7 crystal clear treble is impressive, da8 at this part is fall behind.  
i am thinking to change fuse to improve it.  i also have the similar view wtih  brunk :
"It still lacks the detail and resolution of the m7 but it gets close "
price tells the difference . this is face.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #34 of 1,613
I don't know if it "wins", it's more like a tie - with one doing some things better than the other, and vice-versa.

The way Project86 summed it up is like this:

Analytical- - - -Anedio D2- - - - - Yulong DA8 - - - - - X-Sabre - - - - -Fun

Which means nothing is wrong with any of them. It boils down to a matter of system synergy. Pick your poison. :smile_phones:

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #36 of 1,613
Quote:
The way Project86 summed it up is like this:

Analytical- - - -Anedio D2- - - - - Yulong DA8 - - - - - X-Sabre - - - - -Fun

Which means nothing is wrong with any of them. It boils down to a matter of system synergy. Pick your poison.
smile_phones.gif

That's a great summary!

I'd have to clarify that it's NOT in absolute terms. The X-Sabre isn't some warm, syrupy NOS sounding DAC, and the Anedio isn't some harsh, lightweight-bass havin' detail-freak. All three of these models are fairly in the middle overall, with just a slight leaning in one direction or another. 

Is the DA8 perfectly balanced? For some people yes, for others maybe not. Depends on the system it's used in. 

I feel like I need to spend more time comparing X-Sabre and DA8 now. Especially since they are probably big competition in China. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #38 of 1,613
That's a great summary!

I'd have to clarify that it's NOT in absolute terms. The X-Sabre isn't some warm, syrupy NOS sounding DAC, and the Anedio isn't some harsh, lightweight-bass havin' detail-freak. All three of these models are fairly in the middle overall, with just a slight leaning in one direction or another. 

Is the DA8 perfectly balanced? For some people yes, for others maybe not. Depends on the system it's used in. 

I feel like I need to spend more time comparing X-Sabre and DA8 now. Especially since they are probably big competition in China. 
Yep i totally agree here, as translation of forum text gets taken to extremes like that lol, this trio of DACs is no slouch.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #39 of 1,613
I don't know if it "wins", it's more like a tie - with one doing some things better than the other, and vice-versa. Also worth considering is the hot XLR out of the X-Sabre, which at 6.8V is pretty high compared to others. It makes level matching difficult for A/B comparisons with the DA8, and it may end up not working with some equipment. So if you'll be using XLR with the X-Sabre, be aware of that potential issue.

Yulong has read this review and he would like me to highlight the point about level matching here also (he does not respond directly as his English is not exactly good)

Apparently the X-Sabre is using the official 9018 circuitry with an XLR output level of 6.5V (as is the case of D18), whereas for DA8 Yulong designed something specific with an output level of 4.2V in order to allow more usable range with different amps. Hence very precise level matching is required to do meaningful A/B comparison between the DA8 and X-Sabre.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 1,613
Quote:
Yulong has read this review and he would like me to highlight the point about level matching here also (he does not respond directly as his English is not exactly good)

Apparently the X-Sabre is using the official 9018 circuitry with an XLR output level of 6.5V (as is the case of D18), whereas for DA8 Yulong designed something specific with an output level of 4.2V in order to allow more usable range with different amps. Hence very precise level matching is required to do meaningful A/B comparison between the DA8 and X-Sabre.

Thanks for posting! Good info.

I do recall one of my amps having trouble with the higher XLR output voltage of the X-Sabre. Can't recall which amp, I'd have to check my notes. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #41 of 1,613

Thanks for posting! Good info.

I do recall one of my amps having trouble with the higher XLR output voltage of the X-Sabre. Can't recall which amp, I'd have to check my notes. 
This also makes one wonder how many X-Sabre users think that the hot XLR is giving them "more" detail when in fact its distortion :rolleyes:

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #42 of 1,613
This also makes one wonder how many X-Sabre users think that the hot XLR is giving them "more" detail when in fact its distortion :rolleyes:

Yulong hasn't gone as far to imply distortion, but he does concern if completing products are considered better simply when they're louder.

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #43 of 1,613
Yulong hasn't gone as far to imply distortion, but he does concern if completing products are considered better simply when they're louder.
Yes of course, maybe i went a little too far with it, but i wouldnt doubt someone is.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #45 of 1,613
Quote:
do you think that the da8 can have a good match with the v200 as well as the v800?

I'd have to have the V800 back for direct comparisons, just be be absolutely certain. But I've used DA8 with V200 and it does sound very good indeed. Pairs well with almost everything, from T1 and HD800 to LCD-2 and HE-500 to JH13FP, ES5, 8.A, and a bunch more. Definitely a good all around combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back