REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Jan 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,006 of 1,613
Within EU, http://www.audiophonics.fr/ seems less expensive

Interesting. They state that it takes 15 days for them to send the DA8 out as they don't have them in stock. So I wonder where they're getting them from? PC HiFi Shop? ebay?

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could buy direct from Yulong. Or if there was an equivalent to Grant Fidelity on this side of the Atlantic...

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,007 of 1,613
PC HiFi is the european distributor.
Audiophonics.fr is the french reseller.
Palmtop.it is the italian reseller.
If you buy the DA8 in Europe you have 24 months of warranty (European laws).
Shipping included (inside Italy) from Palmtop: +/- 1049€

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #1,008 of 1,613
I can only recommend audiophonics.fr , I only had very positive experience with them - I bought Matrix X-Sabre from them, it took about week to have it at my doorstep. After 1 month I sent it back for analysis, there was weird high pitching noise in left channel originating from X-Sabre. I suspected it might just be a impure power input and their result was - there is nothing wrong with my unit. However, they still offered me full refund even though they did not have to. I politely refused with counter-proposal - I will pay the difference between X-Sabre and DA8, which they agreed to. Week after that, I had my current DA8 at home :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,010 of 1,613
  I can only recommend audiophonics.fr , I only had very positive experience with them - I bought Matrix X-Sabre from them, it took about week to have it at my doorstep. After 1 month I sent it back for analysis, there was weird high pitching noise in left channel originating from X-Sabre. I suspected it might just be a impure power input and their result was - there is nothing wrong with my unit. However, they still offered me full refund even though they did not have to. I politely refused with counter-proposal - I will pay the difference between X-Sabre and DA8, which they agreed to. Week after that, I had my current DA8 at home :)

I bought my Yulong DA8 at audiophonics.fr as well. Two weeks after I had it, (I had to wait for a while since it was one of the first ones in France to be sold), price decreased for 100 euros but they refunded me difference very quickly. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,012 of 1,613
Got mine also from Audiophonics.fr
5days for it to arrive.
and after 3 months of listening to the yulong DA8,i can only say i'm very satisfied .
thanks guys for the reviews and feedback.
comming from a Schitt stack. 
Lyr/Bifrost

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,013 of 1,613
Have you compare the DA8 phone out against Lyr? I am a bit worry if DA8 output is juicy enough to replace Lyr.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 31, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #1,015 of 1,613

That should be a good combo. Anything made by Nelson Pass is gonna be great, and the DA8 does a fine job as an integrated DAC/preamp. Some people prefer running a dedicated preamp and that may or may not be an improvement depending on your system (and volume levels). I find the DA8 does a really good job unless using low levels, at which point the digital attentuation takes away too much resolution. That isn't unique to the DA8 - it happens with most every example of digital volume control. Anyway, I'd give it a shot for sure, and then later you could maybe add a dedicated pre if you felt some need to tweak the sound. 

To avoid using low volume levels, I think theoretically it is a good solution to add a simple resistor to the signal path. Like adding a passive preamp with fixed volume knob. What do you think?

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,017 of 1,613
  still have the Schitt stack but hardly use it anymore .
Drive a pair of dynaudio bmll with subw and a pair of T1 with the DA8 .
There is enough juice .

Surprised that the DA8 has enough juice to drive the T1@ 600 ohm, thanks for your tips.
L3000.gif

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,018 of 1,613
My DA8 has just arrived. I orderd it exactly 11 days ago from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-new-version-YuLong-SABRE-DA8-DSD-32Bit-384KHZ-DAC-Decoder-Amplifier-/121100740043?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

1300 USD, free shipping with DHL. I cheated at customs, declared 150 USD value, so the import tax was just about 45 USD instead of 390 USD. I am not proud of it, but the taxes here are ridicuolosly high. I am sure that the customs officers have no idea what is the real value of this item.Anyway, do it on your own risk, you can be fined.

It sounds promising, but the noise floor is a little bit high, unfortunately I have only very cheap (USD 2) interconnects here, I have to replace the connectors of the old one (Jack>RCA). Or maybe the noise is becouse I put the unit close to my router and mac mini? Do you think, put the router far away makes sense? Or maybe it is just the cable. I will update you when the proper cable is put into operation.

The preamp seems good, conveniently loud listening volume at -24 dB setting, full volume in windows. (Connected directly to my Threshold SA/3 power amp) Yes I am running windows on my mac mini. No OS X installed at all.

This high noise floor thing is a little bit annoying, this device should be DEAD SILENT. I hope it goes away.

Any comments?

Cheers

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,019 of 1,613
Avoiding customs is the main reason why I decided to order it from audiophonics. I agree that custom fees are very annoying, the lower value you are able to pass to them, the better for you (there is an old saying here - if you are not stealing from government, you are stealing from yourself :wink: ).

Regarding your high level of noise floor - I had exactly the same when I first plugged my headphones to it. It was like listening to Niagara falls, annoying and unignorable. But I let my DA8 to run for 10 days straight and all noise problems were gone. Maybe it just needs few hours to burn-in, maybe it has to settle for 230V power input, dunno - but some run-time really helped it, no audible noise at all. Btw - I have my PC right next to it, used to have Wi-Fi router 20cm below it, and neither of those were causing any problems (however, I moved router to my sisters room - I needed direct link to my home network and I could not afford to go through another router).

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #1,020 of 1,613
The preamp seems good, conveniently loud listening volume at -24 dB setting, full volume in windows. (Connected directly to my Threshold SA/3 power amp) Yes I am running windows on my mac mini. No OS X installed at all.

Hi,
I have plugged the Yulong DA8 into my Threshold SA/6e but never had any "noise floor", sorry.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back