REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Oct 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #392 of 1,613
Interesting. What's the difference between the DA8 and that D8?
In terms of sonics, rumor is that it'll be the same. The D8 is a limited production model of the DA8

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #393 of 1,613
  Interesting. What's the difference between the DA8 and that D8?

In the review on the first page, Project86 did touch on this question:

I asked Yulong if there was anything "held back" on the DA8 - given a higher price, could he design a better device? He replied that no, the DA8 is as good as it can be, and is really only limited on the basis of size. A far larger enclosure would allow for a "marginal" increase in sound quality. The D8, which has been in development for a while, will be roughly 5 times the size of the DA8, and cost more too. As far we've been told thus far, the D8 will be a limited release, so the DA8 should still be considered the flagship Yulong DAC.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #394 of 1,613
After my modest time with the da8 i can say it blows away the concero and my old combo of concero to theta chroma 396. I am going to compare it to my eximus dp1 eventually.
First the imaging/ soundstaging is phenomenal. Instruments more real sounding. Concero lacked bass which affected dynamics. Tone is really nice, concero a smidge cooler than da8. I think i like jitter off, on adds surrounding detail but seems to take away from the naturalness. It must be doing some jitter rejection with it off? Pretty great. I think the quality is up there, def a bargain dac.
Bass is thunderiffic!!! Lol with detail

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #395 of 1,613
After my modest time with the da8 i can say it blows away the concero and my old combo of concero to theta chroma 396. I am going to compare it to my eximus dp1 eventually.
First the imaging/ soundstaging is phenomenal. Instruments more real sounding. Concero lacked bass which affected dynamics. Tone is really nice, concero a smidge cooler than da8. I think i like jitter off, on adds surrounding detail but seems to take away from the naturalness. It must be doing some jitter rejection with it off? Pretty great. I think the quality is up there, def a bargain dac.
Bass is thunderiffic!!! Lol with detail
Excellent impressions. Still love my da8 as well. As you've heard, jitter off is better--especially with higher res stuff, I believe jitter on is suppose to aid mp3 quality.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #396 of 1,613
How do you guys find the quality of the built in amp relative to what other amps you have been listening to? Thanks.

(This review said it is better for low impedence but I read another review that suggested it is better with higher impedence headphones. So its a bit contradictory. )

UL

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #397 of 1,613
How do you guys find the quality of the built in amp relative to what other amps you have been listening to? Thanks.

(This review said it is better for low impedence but I read another review that suggested it is better with higher impedence headphones. So its a bit contradictory. )

UL
Ive used the HD800 via direct connection of the rear xlr and got great results. Actually surpassed my expectation, and I had high expectations for it after reading the review.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #398 of 1,613
Wait i'm confused... The jitter rejection mode is from the ESS9018 chip right?
But the USB module already has anti-jitter in place so it's like a double jitter rejection with it on and this is why people are turning the function off?

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #399 of 1,613
  Wait i'm confused... The jitter rejection mode is from the ESS9018 chip right?
But the USB module already has anti-jitter in place so it's like a double jitter rejection with it on and this is why people are turning the function off?

Almost. The Jitter mode "ON" is Yulong's proprietary jitter reducer that is purposefully made for very jittery sources, like digital-outs from game consoles, TVs, PCs etc. With the jitter mode "OFF" it will utilize the DAC's own jitter rejection. This was added because the previous flagship, the D18, was very obnoxious in locking with jittery sources.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #400 of 1,613
  Almost. The Jitter mode "ON" is Yulong's proprietary jitter reducer that is purposefully made for very jittery sources, like digital-outs from game consoles, TVs, PCs etc. With the jitter mode "OFF" it will utilize the DAC's own jitter rejection. This was added because the previous flagship, the D18, was very obnoxious in locking with jittery sources.

Ah, so I had it opposite. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So is the proprietary jitter reducer on the USB receiver module?

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #401 of 1,613
From the DA8 page on Grant Fidelity:
 2. DO NOT use XLR to RCA adapters with this particular model. It won't properly ground the connection and thus degrade sound quality, and could even potentially damage the DA8 and void your warranty. 

Does this mean you shouldn't use XLR to RCA cables to connect an amp with RCA-ins to the XLR-outs of the DA8? I'm considering getting the DA8 and connecting both my Lake People G109 and a Crack to it so this would be a problem. Or do they mean you shouldn't use an adapter to convert the DA8's RCA outs to XLR?

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #402 of 1,613
TO ME, I dont think its worth 1,299 for something that is exactly like the yulong d18, its probably sound same. Not worth it to pay extra for small screen and usb audio technology.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #403 of 1,613
TO ME, I dont think its worth 1,299 for something that is exactly like the yulong d18, its probably sound same. Not worth it to pay extra for small screen and usb audio technology.

*chuckles*

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #404 of 1,613
From the DA8 page on Grant Fidelity:
 2. DO NOT use XLR to RCA adapters with this particular model. It won't properly ground the connection and thus degrade sound quality, and could even potentially damage the DA8 and void your warranty. 

Does this mean you shouldn't use XLR to RCA cables to connect an amp with RCA-ins to the XLR-outs of the DA8? I'm considering getting the DA8 and connecting both my Lake People G109 and a Crack to it so this would be a problem. Or do they mean you shouldn't use an adapter to convert the DA8's RCA outs to XLR?
Correct, do not use cables with XLR feed on one side and a rca end on the other end.

Edit: Sorry, the DO NOT applies to "adapters"

Important note - Yulong says DO NOT use XLR to RCA adapters with this particular model. It won't properly ground the connection and thus degrade sound quality, and could even potentially damage the DA8. There's really no need to do so anyway since RCA sounds nearly identical, so just don't do it!

So if youve got a xlr cable with xlr plugs on both ends, do not use an adapter on either end that would convert it to a male rca. Is that right..? I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back