REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Oct 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #407 of 1,613
You could be wrong about this one. It states not to use ADAPTERS

Well in that respect I don't know what the difference would be between a converter cable and an adapter, they both serve the same purpose one just uses wire but I don't think that would make any difference in regards to this (apparently its a grounding issue of some sort?).

This is a bummer if true because I've got a G109 with only RCA inputs and I'm building a Crack soon which also has RCA inputs. Almost every good DAC has one RCA output and one XLR output. It would be great if I could get one with multiple RCA outs but that seems to be really difficult and splitters and switchboxes don't seem like a very good solution. I guess I'm just supposed to buy a separate high end DAC for each of my amps or bother with connecting/disconnecting cables all the time... bleh.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #409 of 1,613

Well in that respect I don't know what the difference would be between a converter cable and an adapter, they both serve the same purpose one just uses wire but I don't think that would make any difference in regards to this (apparently its a grounding issue of some sort?).

This is a bummer if true because I've got a G109 with only RCA inputs and I'm building a Crack soon which also has RCA inputs. Almost every good DAC has one RCA output and one XLR output. It would be great if I could get one with multiple RCA outs but that seems to be really difficult and splitters and switchboxes don't seem like a very good solution. I guess I'm just supposed to buy a separate high end DAC for each of my amps or bother with connecting/disconnecting cables all the time... bleh.

Splitters and switchboxes are made for this purpose, that's why you don't see multiple RCA outs on a DAC, it just doesn't make sense. I kind of inadvertently went to 2x DAC route myself since I pre-ordered the HM-901 dock, but I am currently using a preamplifier and all i do is just unplug one end of the the RCA cables and hook it to one of my various amps. It's really not that bad, and avoids the potential sound degradation of a crappy splitter. 

This will be my setup as well, however i'm hoping the DA8's builtin amp serves my needs, if not i'll keep the V200 around, shipping is taking forever!!!.
I'll be pairing them with the HD800 and AD.

The HD-800 out of the DA8 internal amp is pretty good. I have made an adapter for a friend of mine, DarKen23, that connects his HD-800 to the back of the DA8's XLR outputs and states it is better, so you'll definitely want to investigate that. The only reason I haven't tried the rear of the DA8 yet is because i haven't made an adapter for mine lol.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #411 of 1,613
 splitters and switchboxes don't seem like a very good solution.

You can try this 
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #412 of 1,613
You could be wrong about this one. It states not to use ADAPTERS

It's the same as an adapter (you have only few inches of cable but you have 3 pins in XLR and single ended in RCA)
An Xlr adapter for RCA cables does not give you a balanced cable

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #414 of 1,613
So my DA8 got shipped and should be coming in next week.  I can't wait to see (or rather hear) what all the fuss is about!
Congrats! You got it at a steal. Still surprised you got it at that price.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #415 of 1,613
I have started looking at LKS Audio double SABRE DAC, I believe it was mentioned here before.

Some discussion on CA
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/chinese-brand-l-k-s-audio-mh-da002-ess9018-*-2-a-17691/

On spec and hardware alone it's a step up from DA8, but performance and reliability is somewhat unknown, even on Chinese web site it's priced below Yulong, which might be an indication of what to expects.

Any experience with this one?

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #417 of 1,613
  I have started looking at LKS Audio double SABRE DAC, I believe it was mentioned here before.

Some discussion on CA
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/chinese-brand-l-k-s-audio-mh-da002-ess9018-*-2-a-17691/

On spec and hardware alone it's a step up from DA8, but performance and reliability is somewhat unknown, even on Chinese web site it's priced below Yulong, which might be an indication of what to expects.

The only thing about the "specs" is that Yulong has all the gear to prove what is listed. I don't know if LKS has the level of equipment Yulong does, or if they are just listing the specs generically.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #418 of 1,613
Ive used the HD800 via direct connection of the rear xlr and got great results. Actually surpassed my expectation, and I had high expectations for it after reading the review.

DarKen,
do you think the rear XLR->HD800 sounds better than the front headphone out? That makes the internal amp useless with HD800...
How is the bass, does it have enough "weight" compared to the front HP-out?

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #419 of 1,613

DarKen,
do you think the rear XLR->HD800 sounds better than the front headphone out? That makes the internal amp useless with HD800...
How is the bass, does it have enough "weight" compared to the front HP-out?

From what he has personally told me, it does indeed sound better than the front, but I'll let him go into detail from here.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #420 of 1,613

Some discussion on CA

Discussion on Hong Kong board
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D59985%26extra%3Dpage%253D1&usg=ALkJrhhKNeIa5-O2YgpODekZ6pMaC2bgnQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back