[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Jul 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #481 of 583
i have listen the headphones audio M50 and like the sound very much. anyone have both and can compare the sound quality? i know cant really compare a IEM to a headphone but if anyone have both i would like to see an opinion. xD

edit: im sad...this model dont exit on EU so i cant buy them. anyone know another IEM like vsonic sound quality or even better? i can go up to 220€. what you think about hifiman re-262 compared vsonic?

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #482 of 583
I would go with the vsonic over the re-262's

Quote:
i have listen the headphones audio M50 and like the sound very much. anyone have both and can compare the sound quality? i know cant really compare a IEM to a headphone but if anyone have both i would like to see an opinion. xD

edit: im sad...this model dont exit on EU so i cant buy them. anyone know another IEM like vsonic sound quality or even better? i can go up to 220€. what you think about hifiman re-262 compared vsonic?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #483 of 583
I prefer R-07 over SE535 & ETY ER4P on heavy and hard rock style. They are great!
But on other styles they can't beat SE535 & Ety's. But soundstage is better, vocals on the level too...
High recomendations for hard rock/metal/hard core/etc.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #486 of 583
Definitely some food for thought in this thread. Thinking about these and the SE535s and IE8s. Would be nice to save a little coin with the GR07.

The IE8 has a fairly large mid-bass hump, which the GR07 lacks. If that's your thing, that's and advantage for the IE8. (It's not my thing, so I don't value it.) Also, the cable on the IE8 is much better. Otherwise, the GR07 is better than the IE8 in every other respect, to my ears.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #487 of 583
More of Ultrasone review than GR07 appreciation, but it's a comparison review (since my GR07 have arrived from repair all well).

Funny thing, I've received my Ultrasone Proline 650 and I'd compare the sound to GR07.
Both are pretty sibilant, U650 sibilance is higher in frequency. Ultrasone is less linear in the bass. (dips slightly 160-280 Hz)
More precise frequency response analysis will be posted once I've actually equalized them.

Ultrasone has better extension both ways, but especially in highs - goes to the marketed 19kHz, I'm impressed - endless like RE0. U650 has -6 dB at ~30 Hz with GR07 being at ~35 Hz, but starts rolling of earlier, around 50Hz, while GR07 only starts ~40 Hz.
Low frequency timbre is similar, I'd say U650 has slightly better decay, but a bit more ringing at lowest of lows. Impact-wise Ultrasone Pro 650 wins.
High frequency timbre - U650 sounds glassy/slightly metallic/overly "biting", while GR07 sounds honky and harsh. (this is due to sibilance characteristics)
Detailing is better on U650, probably due to all the extra air.
Soundstaging is definitely in favor of Ultrasone Pro 650 - perhaps slightly too far away due to the bass dip, in contrast to GR07's overly intimate female vocals. Far more precision, with or without crossfeed. Depth and height differences are rendered far better by the Ultrasones as well, however it places sound too high (due to its high frequency hump).
Heck, I'd hazard a guess that Ultrasone Pro 650 is one of the elite at soundstaging despite being closed.

Price: Ultrasone Proline 650 is 50% more expensive than GR07. Of course it comes with better accessories too, not to mention that headphone materials and drivers are more expensive...

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #489 of 583
[size=medium]
A few quick question, men!

Ashamedly, I actually had a nightmare that upon receiving my GR07 and plugging them into my Cowon J3, they were virtually impossible to drive and the volume was despairingly low. I've heard that they are harder to drive than the average IEM, but are they that bad? My point of reference is the Radius DDM.

Secondly - and this is quite the noob question - does having to heavily drive an earphone permanently damage either the earphone itself or the DAP in the long-term, or is it merely a matter of faster battery life consumption?

Much thanks!
[/size]

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #490 of 583
[size=medium]
I've heard that they are harder to drive than the average IEM, but are they that bad? My point of reference is the Radius DDM.

..does having to heavily drive an earphone permanently damage either the earphone itself or the DAP in the long-term, or is it merely a matter of faster battery life consumption?
[/size]

They are not harder to drive than your average IEM.. my iPhone 4 drives them without any problem.. Volume @ 80% is as loud as my ears can take.  I can't compare to the DDM since I haven't heard it.  The GR07 is very DAP friendly, IMO.

Driving higher impedance phones from a relatively weak source (i.e. mainstream DAPs) cannot permanently damage a DAP or the earphone itself.. it is simply a matter of higher battery consumption.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #491 of 583

Quote:
[size=medium]
A few quick question, men!

Ashamedly, I actually had a nightmare that upon receiving my GR07 and plugging them into my Cowon J3, they were virtually impossible to drive and the volume was despairingly low. I've heard that they are harder to drive than the average IEM, but are they that bad? My point of reference is the Radius DDM.

Secondly - and this is quite the noob question - does having to heavily drive an earphone permanently damage either the earphone itself or the DAP in the long-term, or is it merely a matter of faster battery life consumption?

Much thanks!
[/size]

The GR07s are actually pretty easy to drive.  It shouldn't be any more difficult to drive them than any other IEMs.  Is there a volume limiter set on your J3?

And if "heavily driving" means playing them to earsplitting levels, then it's likely to damage your ears and the IEMs.  No chance of damage to the DAP.  The GR07s can be driven easily out of my iPhone 3GS without an amp.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #492 of 583
I regularly pair my GR07 with my iPod Touch unamped, with no real consequences. I never go over 50% on my iPod as a rule, and 50% is an adequate sound level when walking along an extremely busy, traffic-ridden street. You can hear faint traffic, and loud buses, but nothing of real consequence. The Radius DDM has relatively poor isolation, so I think that at the same volume level, they should be fine. Yes, the GR07 will sound its best with an amp, but it doesn't sound at all poor without one.

I'm pretty sure a harder to drive earphone will only drain the batteries faster, but the difference shouldn't be too much either. There are relatively few things that can actually damage DAPs or earphones, and they usually need to be quite extreme i.e. way too much current/voltage, water, mud, etc.

Quote:
[size=medium]
I've heard that they are harder to drive than the average IEM, but are they that bad? My point of reference is the Radius DDM.  
[/size]

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #493 of 583
I use my GR07 unmapped from my iPhone 4 almost exclusively and enjoy them alot. When I amp them they do get a bit better bit they certainly do not require and amp.

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #494 of 583
I was using them with unamped iTouch4G.
I've noticed that when they are amped you will lost deepness of soundstage.
So unamped portable player is not really bad:)

Now i'm with Etymotic er4p and i don't know what is better for me R-07 or ER4P.
Ety's are more clear, much more detailed, but R-07 are more musical and has great soundstage + great instrument separation...
... i think that i need two pairs of good earphones:)

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #495 of 583

Quote:
I was using them with unamped iTouch4G.
I've noticed that when they are amped you will lost deepness of soundstage.
So unamped portable player is not really bad:)

Now i'm with Etymotic er4p and i don't know what is better for me R-07 or ER4P.
Ety's are more clear, much more detailed, but R-07 are more musical and has great soundstage + great instrument separation...
... i think that i need two pairs of good earphones:)

Put the GR07 on your left ear and the ER4P on your right.

ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back