[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Jun 1, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #346 of 583

Quote:
Dammit Inks.. you're not helping my wallet.. in  terms of sound, what differs most between the GR07 & 262?

I believe this is the second or the third time you are asking this question in the same thread. Buy a pair and find out - best cure for curiosity
wink.gif
. This is Head-fi! Your wallet be damned!
tongue.gif

I posted a comparison a few pages in the same thread. I did not compare them side by side, so I am not sure how much of this comparison is accurate.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #347 of 583
Here some pictures of my current setup with foam tips i ordered from taobao
5785588353_57fde15b06_z.jpg

The foam tip is longer then the stock or hybrid clone, allowing deeper insertion.

5786146824_178e1ab9d0_z.jpg

5786150040_e5bed0037b_z.jpg

Left - small hybrid clone, Middle - Medium Stock Tips, Right - Taobao Foam Tips.

As u can see the hole in the foam tip is larger compared to both the hybrid or stock.
Seems to be designed for the nozzle size of the GR07

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #348 of 583

Quote:
Here some pictures of my current setup with foam tips i ordered from taobao
5785588353_57fde15b06_z.jpg

The foam tip is longer then the stock or hybrid clone, allowing deeper insertion.

5786146824_178e1ab9d0_z.jpg

5786150040_e5bed0037b_z.jpg

Left - small hybrid clone, Middle - Medium Stock Tips, Right - Taobao Foam Tips.

As u can see the hole in the foam tip is larger compared to both the hybrid or stock.
Seems to be designed for the nozzle size of the GR07

I'll assume those are better than the ones that came with the GR07? What store did you get them from and how much did they cost?

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #349 of 583
i think i posted it a couple of pages before.

but anyway here's the link - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9014594846

I ordered 6 pairs and request for 3 x small n 3 x medium
but it seems that all the 6 pairs that came are all same size.

Somehow i feel that they sound better then my hybrid clone. Cant really remember how the hybrid sounds with them anyone.
iirc these tips improves the bass(might be due to better seal). 
Did not really try the stock foam tip as they are too big for me n also the stock foam "bounce" back into shape too fast. Not like the comply or yellow shure foam, so i wasnt really able to put them into my ears.

Oh btw the seller would ask u what phones are u using them for so i m pretty sure they have different tips of different nozzle size/phones.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #350 of 583
Idk if this has been mentioned before, but how does the gr07 and the DBA-02 compare?

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #353 of 583

Quote:
how is the isolation on these headphones in practical terms?

Good enough for a plane trip? train ride? 

Depends on how you define good isolation.  It won't block out all of the noise when nothing is playing, but it will dampen the noise enough in most situations that you can hear the music without turning it up louder than normal.  Haven't used it on a plane yet, but I'll be flying across the Pacific later this month so I'd know then...but I've been on a noisy bus a lot for the past few months and I've had no problems.

Basically, it's not gonna create your own little personal bubble or anything, but it's enough for most purposes.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #354 of 583
Isolation is not as good as my e3g. 
Sometimes on train/buses i can still hear pple talk when they are talking very loud.
But cant hear announcement from the train nor the doors closing.
Isolation is enough probably good enough for train. As for planes it should be acceptable.
The last time i took a flight to NZ my e3g did very well in isolation, but that was on a A380 which is suppose to be quieter.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #355 of 583
I never did figure out if there was a comply tip that was compatible with the GR07.. the Ts series looks it might work.. the P obviously does not..

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #356 of 583

Quote:
I never did figure out if there was a comply tip that was compatible with the GR07.. the Ts series looks it might work.. the P obviously does not..

I've been looking for a comply tip that would fit it for sure.  Still haven't really found it yet.  Don't want to go and buy a pack of tips that I have no use for...

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #357 of 583
I personally believe that the RE262 would sound better because of its musicality. I think the GR07 sounds pretty good when amped properly as well, but i agree with the idea that the GR07 will still sound a bit 'dry'. I personally don't mind, but others will. The RE262 probably also sounds smoother up top. I would never criticize the speed of the GR07, though.

Incidentally, I'm planning to get the RE262 as my next IEM, unless the RE272 derails those plans LOL.

I'm curious... what does "musicality" mean? In concrete terms, between these two IEMs.

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #358 of 583
lol... I don't know what I was writing right there, it's all over the place... I want to make it clear I haven't yet heard the RE262s... what I meant was that the RE262 seem to be more involving in terms of pacing, rhythm, vocal intensity, etc. from what I've read. While I love the GR07s, I do agree that they can at times feel ever so slightly sterile and less intense than other IEMs, like the DBA-02.

BTW, for those people who are wondering how the DBA-02 compares to the GR07, I've just written up a big head-to-head comparison.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #359 of 583
lol... I don't know what I was writing right there, it's all over the place... I want to make it clear I haven't yet heard the RE262s... what I meant was that the RE262 seem to be more involving in terms of pacing, rhythm, vocal intensity, etc. from what I've read. While I love the GR07s, I do agree that they can at times feel ever so slightly sterile and less intense than other IEMs, like the DBA-02.

BTW, for those people who are wondering how the DBA-02 compares to the GR07, I've just written up a big head-to-head comparison.

OK, thanks. I asked because I just don't know what "musicality" means, or translates to in concrete terms...For that matter I don't know what aspects of an IEM make for improved pacing, rhythm and vocal intensity. Though perhaps vocal intensity means a bump around the 1KHz -2KHz range?

To me, the ultimate IEM is one with a flat and wide response curve. But I understand other people have a different metric for the best.

But I didn't mean to put you on the spot.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #360 of 583
Sorry for being unclear. Sometimes, I try to describe sound just by the way it feels because it's easier that way. I think that I would describe "pacing", "rhythm", and "intensity" by a combination of bass speed, note attack, and yes, certain frequency bumps in the upper midrange and certain aspects of treble. But I try to describe it as just a quality because it might not be just one difference, it might be an entire collection of differences that ultimately make one IEM sound more 'emotionally invested' than another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back