[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Jun 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #332 of 583
I have gone back to the Shure Olives I cut the cores on to remove earlier in the week as the cut seems to allow me to get them off and on without affecting the sound as it is at the base and they may be my Monster Tip equivalent in terms of the best accoustic seal. They just seem to fit my ears so well with zero conduction noise and no pressure seal (not that the large silicone tips had much of that for me anyway) this does accent the highs even a bit more along with possibly the midrange. In any case I quite like both tips. Unfortunately I can't find any of the Monster Tips kicking around as I think I gave my extra sets away but from memory I did try the foam ones and they were just a bit to hard for my ears so am probably better off with the Olives in my case.

Anyway I have to say these are sitting at about 70-80hrs of burnin and another 15-20hrs of head time and they really are just getting better and better :). Pink Floyd has never sounded so good and neither has Patricia Barber and a miriad of other musical favorites. I honestly haven't found a genre I don't like with them yet and many genre's that sound as good as the "best of" on the other IEM's I have had.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #333 of 583

Quote:
Anyway I have to say these are sitting at about 70-80hrs of burnin and another 15-20hrs of head time and they really are just getting better and better :). Pink Floyd has never sounded so good and neither has Patricia Barber and a miriad of other musical favorites. I honestly haven't found a genre I don't like with them yet and many genre's that sound as good as the "best of" on the other IEM's I have had.

I find it pretty amazing how they work so well with pretty much any genre.  I haven't found anything yet that they can't do well.  I guess this is what a studio monitor is supposed to do though.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #334 of 583
the funny thing is I have heard some "studio monitors" and they sounded so flat an unemotional which these simply are the opposite of. BUT I have also never owned a dynamic based studio monitor in an IEM before and that may explain my feelings as I just find BA based IEM's while "technically better" to just miss something in the music for me. It's like watching someone on American Idol that can hit every note perfectly but I can't remember their name five minutes later because while technically perfect they just don't have that magical quality I crave in my music. These more than any IEM I have owned reveal that magical quality for me.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #335 of 583

Quote:
the funny thing is I have heard some "studio monitors" and they sounded so flat an unemotional which these simply are the opposite of. BUT I have also never owned a dynamic based studio monitor in an IEM before and that may explain my feelings as I just find BA based IEM's while "technically better" to just miss something in the music for me. It's like watching someone on American Idol that can hit every note perfectly but I can't remember their name five minutes later because while technically perfect they just don't have that magical quality I crave in my music. These more than any IEM I have owned reveal that magical quality for me.

Joker seems to feel that the GR07 has a "dry" feel to it that kind of removes emotion from the music.  I haven't felt this myself at all, but it could just be that I haven't listened to such a wide range of IEMs as him.  It seems to me that the RE262 is kind of like the GR07 but more..."musical."  Haven't listened to it yet though, so I wouldn't know.  But I've been meaning to get one of those too for awhile.

Still, I really think that the GR07 sounds excellent.  I haven't noticed any of the so-called "dryness" at all.  It's just the slightest bit warm, which adds a bit of "feeling" to the music to me.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #336 of 583
I was toiling between the RE262 and GR07 for a long time.. and gambled on the (relatively) lesser known Vsonic phone and haven't looked back.. the reason being because I read (and heard from owners) that while the RE262 has a fabulous driver (one of the most technically capable, per the community here), the bass is a little too slow for some genres (i.e. DnB).. this is something the GR07 has no problem with as the speed of the bass is one of the most impressive things about the phone.  I felt the GR07 could stack up to or exceed the 262 in other areas.. plus ClieOS' reviews (which I highly respect, regardless of phone) certainly played a big part too.

I still very much want to hear the 262 but I have zero regrets going with the GR07 cause of it's incredible versatility.  The thing thing about the GR07 is that when listening to a live concert with them.. the presentation doesn't try to create some mind blowing live set in my head.. or when I hear a metal album, it's not a loud, lively rock session going on in my ears.. the GR07 simply have a professional, mature sound regardless of genre or recording type.. and it's this aspect I'm drawn.  There something irresistibly composed but engaging about their sound that makes many other phones I've heard sound downright honky, flashy, or superficial.

Call me a fanboy, or whatever.. I could care less.. I just simply love these phones.. regardless of what they can or can't compete with.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #338 of 583
I agree, i think the RE262 tops the GR07 when amped properly. Being more musical it definitely draws me into the music more then the GR07. Both are great IEM's but i do think the 262's have that little extra.

Quote:
Lol who said the RE262s have slow bass. Having used both I think I remember the GR07 being a tad slower.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #339 of 583
I agree, i think the RE262 tops the GR07 when amped properly. 

Ahh.. and that was the other reason I went with the GR07.. it's more DAP friendly.. I've heard the 262 sound decent unamped but require an amp to really hear what they can do.. which is just fine.. but I find myself doing a lot of listening without an amp.. so the GR07 was a better fit there.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #340 of 583
I personally believe that the RE262 would sound better because of its musicality. I think the GR07 sounds pretty good when amped properly as well, but i agree with the idea that the GR07 will still sound a bit 'dry'. I personally don't mind, but others will. The RE262 probably also sounds smoother up top. I would never criticize the speed of the GR07, though.

Incidentally, I'm planning to get the RE262 as my next IEM, unless the RE272 derails those plans LOL.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #341 of 583
I am keeping both to use with the new upcoming X3, ive never enjoyed carrying around a big bulky combo. So if the X3 can put some life into both the GR07 and 262's im sold!

Yes the GR07 are most definitely more dap friendly! But as everyone else has said, they both increase in all aspects with amping.

Quote:
Ahh.. and that was the other reason I went with the GR07.. it's more DAP friendly.. I've heard the 262 sound decent unamped but require an amp to really hear what they can do.. which is just fine.. but I find myself doing a lot of listening without an amp.. so the GR07 was a better fit there.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #342 of 583
Both improve with amping, saying the RE262s require/need amping in not always necessarily so. The driver itself is efficient, but it needs juice for volume levels due to the impedance. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #343 of 583
Dammit Inks.. you're not helping my wallet.. in  terms of sound, what differs most between the GR07 & 262?

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #344 of 583
Buy a pair... They are only $149 delivered. Then you can give us your opinion! :wink:

Pretty sure you can read up ClieOS reviews and see what he says about both. He pretty much sums up what i hear between them both.

Quote:
Dammit Inks.. you're not helping my wallet.. in  terms of sound, what differs most between the GR07 & 262?

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #345 of 583
262 will have a better soundstage but the gr07 is more genre friendly. had the 262 and feel that its suitable for certain genre like vocal and orchestra in fact i think its one of the best for it with its textured bass. for the gr07 there isnt any major flaw. rock pop etc, throw everything at it and all sounds good. my overall favourite is still the gr07 with its tight and thumping bass.. cable wise the gr07 is better. the only thing is that u might not get used to the shape of the gr07 initially since its a little squarish but just give it some time haha...  just my 2cents 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back