[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
May 28, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #316 of 583

Quote:
Not exactly sure what you mean by splashiness but yes, the timbre can be at times a bit mechanical in the low end (still excellent).

IERM? Yes, NOT a fair comparison LOL... interesting observation though; I think the GR07 has pretty strong bass already, about the upper limit of what I'd go for these days. Maybe it's just me.

Yeah, it is interesting so I thought I'd mention it.  I've said a few times that I think the human ear is more adaptable to various bass presentations as long as it's inline w/ the rest of the spectrum and commits few if any errors, so I think this might be a good example.  I doubt anyone would say the IERM isn't neutral and has exaggerated bass.  It is the most neutral thing I've heard tied w/ an old vintage discontinued HP and followed by the ES5 and HD800 who coexist on opposite sides on 'neutral'.  

May 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #317 of 583
Denon D7000 - GR07 A/B comparison testing

Dark Side of the Moon - Speak To me - The bass is similar but sharper with the GR07 vs the D7000. The D7000 has more of a heart beat type sound. The mids of the GR07 are much more forward but have a similar timbre to the D7000. The treble with cymbals are very similar in sound but slightly more pronounced with the GR07. Overall there are alot of similarities between the two with the GR07 being more intimate.

Eagle Hotel California - Hotel California - The bass guitar at the beginning of the song is very clear and vibrant with the GR07 and bass drums are sharp and articulate the similarities with the D7000 are again very close with the D7000 having slightly less vibrancy but only ever so slightly and bass drums are not quite as articulate.The singing is very clear with both with the GR07 again being more forward but the overall tonality is very similar.

Patricia Barber - The Cole Porter Mix - Miss Otis Regrets - Patricia's singing is very clear and emotional with the D7000 riding the fine line of sibilance on the side of brilliance in comparison the GR07 sounded a bit to intimate and does not quite ride the same fine line of sibilance being slightly more cautious but still very clear, bass drums sounded very deep with good snap on the D7000 but slightly sharper with the GR07, guitars sounded smooth but again with a sense of urgency with both phones. Cymbals are clear and engaging with both phones and are similarly placed in the sound stage. I slightly prefer the D7000 for this song because of it's larger souhnd stage and the vocals but could easily prefer the GR07 depending on my mood.

Loreena McKennit - Elemental - Stolen Child - The treble of the GR07 is very clear and etheral and Loreena's voice is clear and lovely with just the right amount of echo as she sings the D7000 on the other hand has her voice further back and slightly higher pitched giving her voice an even more light feel. The bass instruments are vibrant, you can feel the instruments being played with the GR07 but not quite as much with the D7000. Again the larger stage feel of the D7000 suites this song more but both phones share alot of similarity in overall signature.

Classical - Symphony No. 5 in C-Sharp Minor: I. Trauermarsch (In Gemessenem Schritt. Streng. Wie Ein Kondukt - Plötzlich Schneller. Leidenschaftlich. Wild - Tempo I) - I am not good at this type of music in regards to where intruments should be placed in the sound field. So just tried to pick key instruments to see if they were in the same place with both phones initially. The placement is close to the same but the GR07 is definitely a tighter sound stage but very clear none the less. I actually found myself drawn into the trumpet playing with the GR07 more than the D7000.

Classical Choral - Arvo Pärt - The Woman with the Alabaster Box - The GR07 is slightly darker for the singing than th D7000 and again more intimate. The biggest difference is the forwardness of the GR07 which makes you feel like your closer to the stage by a few rows. The GR07 is also every so slightly more detailed while the D7000 is more ethereal.

Classical Strings - Arvo Pärt - Summa: Summa for Strings - the violins and cellos are vibrants and alive on the GR07 filling the air with resonating notes that linger and hang as they slowly shimmer and fade. The D7000 is not quite so resonant giving the feeling of being much further back in the hall with less intimacy. Depending on mood either one of these would be divine. The Gr07 might be slightly more fatiguing to listen to.

For all the minor differences in sound I would have to say the GR07 is the closest sounding IEM to the D7000 I have heard. If I wasn't A/B testing there would be times I would have a hard time telling the difference between the two phones especially in terms of bass and treble.

May 28, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #318 of 583
Going from memory I'd have to say the D7000 has more natural organic timbre.  In both cases neither is a master of bass impact or extension so they do have that in common.  They do have a similar FR though.

May 28, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #319 of 583
I would agree with you about timbre for the most part but man do these share a common signature! More than adequate for me is all I can say. I fell in love with the D7000 and have had no desire to "upgrade" in regards to a fullsize headphone since and I suspect I will be in the same place with the GR07.

May 28, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #320 of 583
Wow its good to see the GR07 is getting some attention after all :) I love my pair still! One of my best IEM buys to date.

May 29, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #321 of 583
My right cable is also slightly longer then left.

Noticed it quite sometime ago but nth to complain about.

As for tips i m using some foam tips from taobao. they fit quite easy on my gr07. will take a pic n post them later.

As for sony hybrid. those who are ordering my LMUE can also order the hybrid clone tips from them. they work very well n are very comfortable.
They are the same as those included with brainwavez

May 31, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #322 of 583
I picked up a Monster SuperTips sampler pack from Best Buy today and have found they fit nicely on the GR07.  Not as tight or snug as the stock/(fake)hybrid tips, but its secure enough for me.. 

The second to largest foam tips (silvery-gray) actually sounded better than the (fake) hybrid tips I had been using up until now.  The thing that irked my about the (fake) hybrid tips was that the bore opening at the insertion end of the tip was slightly smaller/tapered in vs the nozzle width of the GR07.  This tamed some of the highs and recessed the mids a bit to my ears & I didn't want that.  The stock tips worked great but were too loose a fit for my ears.

All the Monster Supertips bores are as wide as the GR07's nozzle (like the stock tips).. as soon as I threw on the Monster foam tips that fir my ears, the treble clarity and improvement in the overall sound was quite apparent.. I'm quite pleased the best seal I've found with the GR07 now, which in turn let's these babies really shine.  The treble sparkle is much clearer now, the midrange is not recessed at all and is now perfectly in line with the bass & treble.. plus the way the GR07 texture bass can be felt in all their glory.

BB had genuine Sony hybrid tips for $10 too.. they are a bit better in design than their fake counterparts.. plus I believe their design is a bit more v shaped near the tip vs. the hybrid's dome shape.  I might go buy the real hybrid tips tomorrow just for kicks.. even if they don't work well for the GR07, they'll probably fit one of my other IEMs just fine.

May 31, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #323 of 583

Quote:
I picked up a Monster SuperTips sampler pack from Best Buy today and have found they fit nicely on the GR07.  Not as tight or snug as the stock/(fake)hybrid tips, but its secure enough for me.. 

The second to largest foam tips (silvery-gray) actually sounded better than the (fake) hybrid tips I had been using up until now.  The thing that irked my about the (fake) hybrid tips was that the bore opening at the insertion end of the tip was slightly smaller/tapered in vs the nozzle width of the GR07.  This tamed some of the highs and recessed the mids a bit to my ears & I didn't want that.  The stock tips worked great but were too loose a fit for my ears.

All the Monster Supertips bores are as wide as the GR07's nozzle (like the stock tips).. as soon as I threw on the Monster foam tips that fir my ears, the treble clarity and improvement in the overall sound was quite apparent.. I'm quite pleased the best seal I've found with the GR07 now, which in turn let's these babies really shine.  The treble sparkle is much clearer now, the midrange is not recessed at all and is now perfectly in line with the bass & treble.. plus the way the GR07 texture bass can be felt in all their glory.

BB had genuine Sony hybrid tips for $10 too.. they are a bit better in design than their fake counterparts.. plus I believe their design is a bit more v shaped near the tip vs. the hybrid's dome shape.  I might go buy the real hybrid tips tomorrow just for kicks.. even if they don't work well for the GR07, they'll probably fit one of my other IEMs just fine.

Oh?  I may have to get a pack of supertips to try out then.  I've been having fit issues lately...and all of the included foam tips have gone and decored themselves.

May 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #326 of 583
They're two very different IEMs. Both are great IEMs, but it really depends what you're looking for in your sound. The GR07 is a dynamic driver IEM, so it won't sound as crisp as the CK10 --- it is still extremely crisp for a dynamic driver IEM. The bass and timbre of the GR07 will also be more 'convincing' for most people, but that's an order of debate.

Quote:
So has anyone compared these to the ck10's? they're the two front runners for me right now. 

May 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #327 of 583
More time spent with the Monster foam tips this morning and they're DEFINITELY my favorite tips for the GR07.  The way these sit in my ear bring the mids forward to just the right place.  I can hear the instrument spacing and layering with great ease now.  The treble isn't muffled or diminished as a consequence of this either.. quite the opposite in fact as it too sounds better and flashes more sparkle and crispness.  The bass has never sounded this good to me from the GR07.  For lack of a better way of describing it, it sounds more whole and rounded now.  I can hear nuances in the bass much better and easier than I could with the hybrids.  Soft kicks on bass drums, nimble conga playing, and lush tabla solos have more authority and presence than they did before.  I simply love how the GR07 does bass: deep, vibrant, and delicate all at the same time.. always in line and well controlled.

It still a non-fatiguing phone.. but the midrange and treble is clearer and crisper.  The interesting thing is they still sound very neutral and balanced.. with more character and dynamic.. the silky smooth sound is not lost either.  In fact, there isn't one part of the phone that doesn't sound better when going from the hybrids to the monster foam SuperTips, to my ears anyways.. these phones sound downright sinful now!

May 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #329 of 583
Are these the original Monster tips you were talking about so positive ?

Yes.. and that's an awesome price for them!  My experience might not have as much to do with the tips as it does the seal.. which is all important when ti comes to IEMs.. the Monster tips simply provide the best acoustic seal I've experienced with the GR07.. it isn't necessarily more noise isolating though..

May 31, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #330 of 583

Quote:
Yes.. and that's an awesome price for them!  My experience might not have as much to do with the tips as it does the seal.. which is all important when ti comes to IEMs.. the Monster tips simply provide the best acoustic seal I've experienced with the GR07.. it isn't necessarily more noise isolating though..

Have you tried the gel supertips?  How are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back