[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
May 27, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #301 of 583
Haha, you people... now you've got me measuring the cable length... Yes, one is very slightly longer than the other.

And I do believe that the treble is opening up a little bit, as mine break in. I gotta say how much I'm coming to love these phones.

May 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #302 of 583
Which eartips do you guys find the most comfortable and provide best sound quality with the gr07? The included stock tips hurt my ears, and the stock foamies are rubbish. I'm currently using the brainwavz m2 medium tips (which are almost identical to sony hybrids), better comfort than stock tips, but have less isolation.  

May 27, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #303 of 583

Quote:
Which eartips do you guys find the most comfortable and provide best sound quality with the gr07? The included stock tips hurt my ears, and the stock foamies are rubbish. I'm currently using the brainwavz m2 medium tips (which are almost identical to sony hybrids), better comfort than stock tips, but have less isolation.  

Well, the foam tips sounded the best to me and offered the best fit, but they fell apart pretty quickly.  Still waiting for an answer to my earlier question about complys...

May 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #305 of 583

Quote:
Well, the foam tips sounded the best to me and offered the best fit, but they fell apart pretty quickly.  Still waiting for an answer to my earlier question about complys...

Well, the first time I tried to put the foams in the nozzle, they fell apart instantly 
mad.gif

May 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #306 of 583
Yeah, those foamies aren't great; I prefer ones with more memory character too... I've tried using Comply T-100 and Shure Olives, but they're too much of a pain to put on and remove. I really think people should give the stock tips a chance; they're not that bad, at least for my small ears. I don't insert them too deeply. When I used to insert them deeply, they would become uncomfortable after a while because the housings would stretch out my tragus and cause irritation. If not, I think someone mentioned using Sony Hybrids as a good alternative.

May 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #307 of 583
Please tell me the gr07 has just as much bass as the 215's. I got my Mewhat earbuds m31's today and they have less bass than the Shures but I like the way it sounds, and hoping the gr07's had what the 215's have. Cuz I have a set coming and a set of Ck10's. Trying best of both worlds.

May 27, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #308 of 583
OK taking into consideration my GR07 are very new (only about 15hrs of burnin and use). The SE215 is a bit more punchy but has a lot less detail and texture and the GR07 may have a bit more sub-bass.

But the biggest change from last night to today is the bass so take my comments with a grain of salt as the guys whose GR07 have over 200hrs will be a much better judge in this area.

May 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #309 of 583

Quote:
OK taking into consideration my GR07 are very new (only about 15hrs of burnin and use). The SE215 is a bit more punchy but has a lot less detail and texture and the GR07 may have a bit more sub-bass.

But the biggest change from last night to today is the bass so take my comments with a grain of salt as the guys whose GR07 have over 200hrs will be a much better judge in this area.

Well, if you're going back and forth between a bass-heavy IEM and the GR07 the GR07 will sound pretty weak on the bass.  So I think that any chances to the bass will be due to you simply getting used to it...the only thing I really noticed at all with burn-in was that they got a little less harsh and sibilant, though that could simply be in my mind as well, I don't know.

May 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #310 of 583

Quote:
Ahh well when i said you listened to both, i meant the E11 and GR07, as per a post in your E11 thread.

Sorry for confusion.

I don't find much different between amped / not amped for GR07. Then again, most of my source are known to have good output on their own so amping is not important to me on a portable setup.

Quote:

SE215 definitely has more volume on bass while GR07 is deeper and more texture (* more quality).

May 27, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #311 of 583
Thank you. I feel better knowing I'll be getting better quality and not having to push the volume in order to get it. So I'm guessing the Ck10's will rock too. I can't wait to get them both.

May 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #312 of 583
just ordered a pair from lendmeurears off of ebay.

Hope they crush my UE 5eb superfi pro's ..

The extended bass of the Ultimate ears was clearly at the expense of mid range.. Which drove me nuts. 

May 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #313 of 583
A/B testing the difference between the two IEM's is noticeable but I can say that within 2-3 songs the higher quality and deeper bass of the GR07 is so much better than the SE215 I don't miss the little bit of added oomph the SE215 have at all. The thing that keeps amazing me is being able to have such deep lows without losing something in the midrange or treble. I have never had an IEM so effortlessly reproduce music. The clarity is as good or very close to the BA based IEM's I own or have owned while having such amazing ability to reproduce the sound of stringed instruments maintaining their decay and vibration like nothing I have owned. The treble for cymbals is still just a bit sibilant giving them a bit to much tinny like quality but it has settled down from yesterday and even on day one was more realistic than my old IE8 in my opinion.Right now cymbals sounds are somewhere between the brassy quality of the MTPC and the pingy/tinny quality of the IE8 if it shifts ever so slightly more towards the MTPC sound it will be pretty much perfect. I am going by memory for those two IEM's though so I might be slightly off but think I am close in my comparison. The treble in comparison to the SE215 is night and day different though, so much more alive.

OK so I figured out why I was so smitten with these tonight. For kicks I did an A/B comparison between the GR07 and my Denon D7000 and the results were amazing! I was listening to Bat out f Hell and the bass and treble at the beginning of the song was almost identical between the two phones. The only difference was a slightly more forward midrange in the GR07 and more detail (and smaller sound stage) due to the nature of an IEM versus a full size headphone. I was shocked to hear that much similarity! I will be doing a full sweep of A/B testing to see how many other songs have a similar sound and recording that here and in a couple of the Denon threads I have opened or been a part of as finding an IEM that is like the D7000 is a long standing goal of mine and other D7000 lovers.

Now I do want to state my amp is not a monster amp so what I get out of my D7000 may not be anything like what others with more impressive amps may be getting. I have heard my D7000 on a much more powerfull balanced amp for example the difference in bass from what I am used to was very very very different. But for me with my modest setup the similarities between these two phones is really uncanny so far. But stay tuned until I report back with a small list of songs versus just the one.

May 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #314 of 583
Just got the GR07 to check out today.  Quick impressions, fabulous for $150!  I love the design, fit, comfort, feel of the cables.  Awesome design and ergonomics.  Maybe best in an IEM I've ever seen discounting durability like the CK10 or HJE900 though it's no slouch at all.  I'm liking the sound as being more balanced than say the HJE900 but I have two areas of concern after about 20 minutes.  Perhaps some upper mid splashiness and the timbre is a bit mechanical in the low end, maybe even overall.  Not sure yet.  Great for phone for the price though.

On a side note comparing dynamics and BA's (though it may not be quite fair).  This is going to come as a surprise to some of you.  The IERM has better and more present bass plus hits lower and harder than the GR07.  The sub bass on 'How we Do' by The Game is just superb compared to the GR07 and equals the HJE900. 

May 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #315 of 583
Not exactly sure what you mean by splashiness but yes, the timbre can be at times a bit mechanical in the low end (still excellent).

IERM? Yes, NOT a fair comparison LOL... interesting observation though; I think the GR07 has pretty strong bass already, about the upper limit of what I'd go for these days. Maybe it's just me.

Quote:
Perhaps some upper mid splashiness and the timbre is a bit mechanical in the low end, maybe even overall.

On a side note comparing dynamics and BA's (though it may not be quite fair).  This is going to come as a surprise to some of you. The IERM has better and more present bass plus hits lower and harder than the GR07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back