Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Feb 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #331 of 828
It seems that interest in the V800 is finally picking up. For a long time it was just a few of us who raved about it but not a lot of others seemed interested. Now there's a surge of people discovering it. That's a good thing! Especially if one already owns a V200 or V181. The stack is just magical together. 

I bet Violectric had stock of V800 based on sales volume from the past year or two. If demand suddenly surged, they wouldn't anticipate that and therefore didn't have enough units on hand. Violectric is not some massive company who can crank out dozens of V800s per day - each unit is hand assembled by a small team. But I'm sure they are hard at work on it right now. Trust me - it's worth the wait. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #333 of 828
Quote:
I bet Violectric had stock of V800 based on sales volume from the past year or two. If demand suddenly surged, they wouldn't anticipate that and therefore didn't have enough units on hand. Violectric is not some massive company who can crank out dozens of V800s per day - each unit is hand assembled by a small team. But I'm sure they are hard at work on it right now. Trust me - it's worth the wait.

Thats true ....
although we stocked more of specially V200 and V800 - due to unexpected seasons sales we are completely down concerning V90, V600, V800 and very low with V200.

But we are working hard to fill up the stock as fast as possible.

Concerning USB 24/192 we are working on a solution and want to be ready for the Hi-End exhibition in May in Munich.

This also concerns a 24/192 USB solution for V100, V181 and V200

Also we are thinking of expanding the range of DA converters with a model positioned lower than V800.
Further a  model like V800 with remote control and a sophisticated model positioned noticeably higher than V800.

But this will take a while ...

Greetz

Fried

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #334 of 828
Thanks for the update Fried.  I'm  very happy with my new V200 and V800 stack by the way. :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #335 of 828
Yeah, I'm more than satisfied with V200/V800 stack too. thanks Fried!

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #336 of 828
Interesting...I just sent Fried a "thank you" email yesterday for making such a great product that I have been enjoying sound-wise and visually for the last 5 months, and here he is on the thread. I have to say Violectric has taught me how to listen and to buck marketing and social trends in sound "expertise".  I am enjoying music in a way that I have not for years with this equipment.
That being said...I am a newbie to this type of sound equipment....so at the risk of sounding terribly stupid...if the USB 24/192 solution comes in the future and I am able to send in my V200 and V800 for updating (would I have to do both or just the V800?), what do I have to change at my source (Mac Computer) to simply and reliably send this signal. ..
I guess I have a general question, too...I know that providing USB 24/192 would keep up with current technology, but in the real world...are my ears going to be able to truly discern a sound improvement over the current set-up ( I am using Audeze cans and Amara if that matters). I know that that question is loaded...but any insight or experience would be good.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #337 of 828
Quote:
Does anyone know how the V800 compares with the Music Hall DAC 25.3?

I've heard a "modified" 25.3 that I absolutely hated - waaaaayyyyyyy too warm, slow, thick, and rolled-off. I forget which company did the mods but it was one of the ones I've heard of before, so theoretically should have been good.... but it was terrible. 

I don't know how this reflects on the standard non-modified unit though. I'd like to think it's better than the "upgraded" unit but who knows. I suspect V800 is in quite another league altogether. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #338 of 828
Asked this before, anyone compared the V800 with the bifrost?
ifnot: guess I'll have to wait another month huh :frowning2:

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #339 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Concerning USB 24/192 we are working on a solution and want to be ready for the Hi-End exhibition in May in Munich.

This also concerns a 24/192 USB solution for V100, V181 and V200

Also we are thinking of expanding the range of DA converters with a model positioned lower than V800.
Further a  model like V800 with remote control and a sophisticated model positioned noticeably higher than V800.

But this will take a while ...

Greetz

Fried

Nice, I'm wondering if the V800 will also support 24/192 USB and if I should wait until close to May to add the V800 to my V200?

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #340 of 828
I've asked here once, but seems not many people concerned about. May i know is it need to change ALL 10 opamps in V800 at the same time?? i have changed them to OPA2604, but it seems a bit loose, compared to NE5532.

Any people have ideas on changing the opamp? or can we change it part by part??

Thanks

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #341 of 828
i'd like to know if it's normal that if you keep pushed the resampling button all the lights on the front of the dac disappear.
If you do that again everything comes back to normal.No sound change during the process.
Quite strange let me tell you.

Anyone?

thanks!

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #342 of 828
Quote:
i'd like to know if it's normal that if you keep pushed the resampling button all the lights on the front of the dac disappear.
If you do that again everything comes back to normal.No sound change during the process.
Quite strange let me tell you.

Anyone?

thanks!

It's normal. See page 13 in the manual. Basically it's for changing the digital output, to select between upsampling mode and repeat mode where the same rate that comes in is sent right back out again. 

If you don't use the digital out then it doesn't really matter. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #345 of 828
On the aphroditecu29 site, the v800 is described as NEW V800.    Did violectric update their V800?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back