Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Oct 21, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #691 of 828
Hello,

I have a technical question about V800. I've got 2 amplifiers but only one dac : my V800. I would like to do this : using V800 rca connection with my V200 when i listen my W3K and using symetric connection with my Balancing Act when i listen my TH900. Is there any risk to keep  always connected the 2 ways but only turn on 1 amplifier (V200 or Eddie Current) that i use (not the 2 amplifiers simultaneously) ?

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #693 of 828
I am a little slow on the uptake with this....Question...if I do not have any High Rez content (most of what I listen too on my V800 are files from my CD's), is there any sonic advantage to upgrading the board in my V800? (I am currently using an iMac with a USB connection to the Violectric.
Also..where do you guys buy you Hi-Rez files???

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #694 of 828
first, the v800 v1 supports up to 192kHz/24bit when using spidif (aka coax), toslink (aka optical) or xlr input, so if your imac has an coax out or toslink out, like my mbp from its headphone jack, you can use that to play natively hi-rez files with your v800, or you can just use a software player that will re-sample the hi-rez (to 96khz/24bit or whatever) files automatically (vlc, audirvana and such, probably itunes too but i don't use it so can't be sure)

regarding hi-rez playback, technically the dac inside the v800 performs best at 96kHz 24bit, sonically however it's always a matter of taste

so upgrading the usb to support higher than 96kHz 24bit may have technical sense when you want to play such hi-rez files without having to use software re-sampling, or sonically prefer the sound of the dac when operating at higher, native file's, rates

other than that hi-rez recording and playback have no technical advantages over standard red book 44.4kHz and 48kHz and their respective studio 24bit masters of 88.2kHz and 96kHz used for dsp, unless the dac/adc documentation recommends it, since some devices have advanced noise reduction etc.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #696 of 828
Roscodan, thanks for thoughtful reply. I think I actually understood most of that! (oh..I did not mention that I use Amarra Sonic Studio attached to my iTunes set up with the equalizer for my Audeze LCD-2's...it's a nice sound improvement for me).  In fantasy world...I would like to be able to switch back and forth between the new PCB and the old one while listening to some new hi-rez music files.  LOL!  Has anyone been able to have that experience....I would be curious to their findings..... 
Thanks again for your help.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #697 of 828
actually the only thing that is upgraded is the usb input pcb, to make it capable to receive hi-rez music

the dac and re-sampling dsp inside the v800 will still be the same, because they are already capable to process hi-rez music

that's why i suggest using the coax and optical inputs you already have on your v800, because unlike your v800's usb input, those are already capable to receive hi-rez music

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #699 of 828
Does anyone know, is there any sense to set the gain for V800 / V281 to +24 dBu / -6 dB or to +18 dBu / 0 dB instead of ex-works +15 dBu / 0 dB?

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #702 of 828
Hello.

Most of you know that we have to face some problems concerning our 24/192 USB drivers.
We voted for the “Tenor” Chip-Set for our 24/192 USB solution because we had good experience with the 24/96 USB solution from this manufacturer.

“Tenor” seems to be a chips fab, they got no own web site and the only contact to purchase the
silicon is (was) through a company called “GFEC”.
Well, everybody who has the experience knows that dealing with Asian companies is not so easy.
You need at least 10 times more emails than with companies coming from Europe or the USA to deal with them.
But finally we got the chips and also the drivers.

Out of a sudden by the end of 2014 they discontinued the production of the chips and the software support …  
We, as well as many others, had been left outside standing in the rain.    

The current drivers work with Linux, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, except 8.1  and with all Mac OS except “Yosemite” .

I am glad to report that there is now a working solution for Mac OS-X “Yosemite” that can be downloaded from the VIOLECTRIC web site.

I am sorry to tell that there is still no solution in sight for Windows 8.1

Best regards,

Fried Reim
CEO of Lake People

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #703 of 828
 except 8.1

It's strange, but my V800 v2 (TE8802L?) works with Windows 8.1.

As I remember, the fresh Windows 8.1 (and the Server 2012 R2) without any updates or service packs had some problems with the drivers (at least with graphics and network subsystems). Later, after installing the updates, this problems were solved. Maybe this is that case.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #704 of 828
my upgraded V800 doesn't work with windows 8.1 through USB...quite a pity really.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #705 of 828
Violectric to introduce a new D/A converter: DAC V850

Violectric will introduce a new D/A converter during the May 2015 HiEnd exhibition in Munich Germany.

The case and the front panel will share the familiar look of our well known DAC V800.

The DAC V850 features 4 digital inputs: balanced AES/EBU via XLR, coaxial SPDIF via RCA, optical via
Tos-Link, and Asynchronous USB. All inputs are capable of PCM up to 24 bits at 192 kHz.

Topology:

The digital signal is first routed to re-sampling circuitry where virtually all incoming jitter is eliminated.
Then up to 4 times up-sampling can be selected from the front panel.
This process can be completely disabled or set to “best” operation which means that all incoming digital signals will be normalized to 96 kHz.
We have found this to be the optimal frequency to achieve the best audio quality when re-sampling lower bit rate data.

A digital output is also provided which mirrors either the active input signal or the digital signal that has been processed by the re-sampler.
Our design features a 32 bit double mono converter architecture which consists of two 32 bit (PCM1795) converters for each channel.
This serves to enhance the dynamic range and minimize distortion.

The analog output circuitry is fully balanced from the D/A converters to the analog outputs.
This is very similar to the circuitry design we used in the DAC V800 but, with further refinement in the output stage.
The maximum balanced analog output level may be set internally to +24 / +18 / +15 / +12 / or +6 dBu to ensure a perfect match with your other equipment.
The unbalanced analog outputs will always be 9 dB lower compared to the balanced output setting.

The volume control is again all digital just like we used in the DAC V800.
There is no scratching, no channel imbalance, and no reduced crosstalk which can be the case with an analog volume implementation.
This is why we prefer digital all the way through our design. Yes, there is some reduced resolution when lowering the volume.
However since we first up-sample the input to 32 bits we have at least 8 bits with no definitive content.
This gives us 8 x 6 = 48 dB of gain reduction available to lower the output volume and prevents any degradation of the original digital signal.

The DAC V850 may be equipped with an optional remote control for volume and input selection.
A motor driven potentiometer serves to set the attenuation.

The DAC V850's front panel will be available in BLACK  and SILVER.

The estimated price will be around 1175 Euro excl. VAT, the remote control option adds 210 Euro excl. VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back