Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Apr 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #661 of 840
@ Beyermonster

We are talking of 2 different things.

1. we have a group of add-ons PCBs to be used inside the headphone amps V100, V181, V200 and the upcoming V220 and V281.
These are deliverable as 24/96 with either Coax, Opto or USB inputs or as 24/192 with the same set of input choices.
As there is no DAC inside the headphone amps, the neccessary DAC is on the add-on PCBs.
This is a PCM 1798 in case of the 24/96 solutions and a PCM 1793 in case of the 24/192 solutions.

2. for V800 we are offering two different USB inputs.
And this is just another input and nothing more, no DAC is included in this additional input choice as the DAC V800 already has one (PCM 1792) !

- The current USB 24/96 input is capable of 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz.

- The new USB 24/192 input supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176,4 and 192 kHz !

By the way,

USB 24/192 for DAC V800 is in stock now !!!

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #662 of 840
  We are talking of 2 different things.

Fried, thanks for the clarification. I was aware that the items were different, just wanted to make sure I understood what was actually changing.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #665 of 840
Thanks project86! Your review guided me to my current system. 
L3000.gif

Recently i've added the Event Opal connected thought XLR.
The only drawback is that the DAC output level is a little high.
The listening level with the digital potentiometer is best used on the lower half part.

Really happy with the result / size.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #667 of 840
  Thanks project86! Your review guided me to my current system. 
L3000.gif

Recently i've added the Event Opal connected thought XLR.
The only drawback is that the DAC output level is a little high.
The listening level with the digital potentiometer is best used on the lower half part.

Really happy with the result / size.

you can adjust the output gain internally switching the jumpers. Read the manual!
If you have a torx screwdriver you can open the v800 and change the output level to a minimum of +6dBu or 2 volts rms.
This feature is one of the main reasons i've bought the V800 dac because it allows me to use it with consumer and professional audio devices.

It's not a complicated operation :wink:

an advice: keep the volume knob of the dac ALWAYS to the maximum to avoid diaphony,quantization distortion, loss of dynamics and bit-depth etc
Adjust the volume using the internal switches and then with a passive volume controller for your speakers etc.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #668 of 840

you can adjust the output gain internally switching the jumpers. Read the manual!
If you have a torx screwdriver you can open the v800 and change the output level to a minimum of +6dBu or 2 volts rms.
This feature is one of the main reasons i've bought the V800 dac because it allows me to use it with consumer and professional audio devices.

it is rather complicated with a torx screwdriver
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #669 of 840
guido no it's not.i've done it myself and it's pretty easy.

You only have to use the right torx screwdriver (in the manual you can find the exact information about the size of the torx screwdriver t8 or t10 if i remember correctly)

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #670 of 840

an advice: keep the volume knob of the dac ALWAYS to the maximum...

I'm not sure that's a majority opinion, especially in this thread. Is it?

Not trying to to be argumentative, but I didn't I read Fried suggesting that using the DAC to control volume can be a better solution than relying on downstream components. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong on this.

But, as an aside, my DX90 arrived yesterday and the volume control is done in the digital domain on that too.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #671 of 840
Digital volume is subject to where it's being handled. If it's a 32 bit setup you have a good amount of adjustment range without affecting performance. If it's 24 bit, you still have some room, but ideally keep it 80%+. Even with 32 bit I'd keep it 50%+ to be safe. Digital volume drops bits as it lowers volume so if you are playing a 24bit file with a 24 bit volume adjuster, you basically have the 'real bits' performance of the DAC, usually around 18-21 bits, of actual signal to keep intact. You'd have 3-6 bits worth of digital volume adjustment, not much for sure.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #672 of 840

an advice: keep the volume knob of the dac ALWAYS to the maximum to avoid diaphony,quantization distortion, loss of dynamics and bit-depth etc
Adjust the volume using the internal switches and then with a passive volume controller for your speakers etc.

Yes, thanks but I'm already at +6dBu on the V800 and -6 on the Opal but the power output is just a too high with this.
The other solution pointed out by Fried privatly was to use the RCA which is -9 lower than the balanced, it is better but not at the ideal listening level.

May 1, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #673 of 840
  Yes, thanks but I'm already at +6dBu on the V800 and -6 on the Opal but the power output is just a too high with this.
The other solution pointed out by Fried privatly was to use the RCA which is -9 lower than the balanced, it is better but not at the ideal listening level.

use a passive monitor controller like this between the V800 and the opals :

http://spl.info/en/products/monitor-controllers/volume2/description.html

or this :

http://www.palmer-germany.com/pro/en/Products/Headphone-Amplifiers/MONICON-Passive-Monitor-Controller-PMONICON.htm

:wink:

May 1, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #674 of 840
  guido no it's not.i've done it myself and it's pretty easy.

You only have to use the right torx screwdriver (in the manual you can find the exact information about the size of the torx screwdriver t8 or t10 if i remember correctly)

weird, both my V200 and V800 take an allen key..

May 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #675 of 840
  use a passive monitor controller like this between the V800 and the opals :

http://spl.info/en/products/monitor-controllers/volume2/description.html

or this :

http://www.palmer-germany.com/pro/en/Products/Headphone-Amplifiers/MONICON-Passive-Monitor-Controller-PMONICON.htm

:wink:

Thanks for the links.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back