Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Apr 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,161 of 3,079
I am looking forward to hearing from someone who had the Meier Jazz and can compare that to V200 using the Sennheiser HD800.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #2,162 of 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone compare the Schiit Mjolnir to the V200? Any comparisons in this thread or elsewhere? I'm not looking through 144 pages:p

I believe Loevhagen comes the closest to answering your question, although he is referencing specific headphones that may or may not be applicable to you.  Maybe he can expand on it:

Quote:
Just my experience (1 year+):

a) HE-6 plays music and comes alive with Shiit Mjolnir / Gungnir - compared to the aforementioned stereo amps
b) LCD-3: I love the LCD-2 on the V200 - but the LCD-3 needs something else. This is a nightmare to explain. The LCD-2 and the LCD-3 aren´t THAT different. The LCD-2 sounds fantastic with the V200 - the LCD-3 doesn´t. The LCD-2 is abs. fantastic via the Mjolnir - and so is the LCD-3. THe Mjolnir is relatively "bright & agile" sounding. That complements the LCD-3 - and for some of us also the LCD-2s

The V200 is fantastic with the Fostex TH-900. Abs. love the combo.

tl;dr - The Mjolnir is numero uno for LCD-3 - and the V200 is fantastic for TH-900 and LCD-2. If you have the LCD-34 and Mjolnir; the LCD-2 will come alive as well on the Mjolnir. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #2,164 of 3,079
I have both. Mjolnir is a very aggressive amp, absolutely perfect with LCD2 or LCD3. V200 is definitely a lot warmer, not too laid-back, but not as aggressive as the Mjolnir. I also confirm the V200 is very good with the TH900 and the D7000 for that matter. Absolutely dead quiet, and very deep bass. I think the LCD's sound better out of the Mjolnir personally. I think it really depends on what headphones you want to use them with. V200, imo is more versatile. I hope to be getting the HD800 in the next few months to see which amp I prefer them with. If I had to guess, most likely the V200. Hope this helps. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,165 of 3,079
Quote:
I have both. Mjolnir is a very aggressive amp, absolutely perfect with LCD2 or LCD3. V200 is definitely a lot warmer, not too laid-back, but not as aggressive as the Mjolnir. I also confirm the V200 is very good with the TH900 and the D7000 for that matter. Absolutely dead quiet, and very deep bass. I think the LCD's sound better out of the Mjolnir personally. I think it really depends on what headphones you want to use them with. V200, imo is more versatile. I hope to be getting the HD800 in the next few months to see which amp I prefer them with. If I had to guess, most likely the V200. Hope this helps. 

While I heard a lot of good things V200-HD800 pairing. 

I can't help wondering how a very aggressive amp Mjolnir paired with HD800, for smooth, grandeur, classical music. 
I am afraid it sounds like bang-bang-boom-boom-pow and lost it's finisse, fine texture and charm? 
The reason I ask is, "very aggressive" reminds me about my comparison between the very aggressive T1 to HD800. 
T1 suffers badly in terms of subtle ambience detail to HD800.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2,166 of 3,079
Quote:

While I heard a lot of good things V200-HD800 pairing. 

I can't help wondering how a very aggressive amp Mjolnir paired with HD800, for smooth, grandeur, classical music. 
I am afraid it sounds like bang-bang-boom-boom-pow and lost it's finisse, fine texture and charm? 
The reason I ask is, "very aggressive" reminds me about my comparison between the very aggressive T1 to HD800. 
T1 suffers badly in terms of subtle ambience detail to HD800.

I wouldn't say it's a very aggressive amp. It does tilt towards the aggressive side but it is very sensitive to what kind of DAC you have or at least when paired with the HD800. The better the DAC the better it will sound. I have the HD800, Mjolnir and have paired it with my Yulong D18 as well as an Anedio D1 dac. Neither setup is very aggressive imo but the D18 is slightly more smooth.

Also the Mjolnir and HD800 is one of the better pairings I've heard. It's not the best but the most reasonable cost and size for my uses.

As for the V200 and Mjolnir both amps are good but they serve different purposes. The obvious one is that the Mjolnir only has balanced ouputs while the V200 has single ended. The best way I can think of it is the V200 is much more versatile while the Mjolnir serves a specific purpose. The V200 can have the gain changed depending on your headphone. It can go from sensitive custom iem to harder to drive headphones with a few exceptions. It also like a slight warmth to it that may or may not be desirable. The Mjolnir on the other hand has a slight aggression with lots of power and transparency. The warmth of the V200 makes it a bit more forgiving while the Mjolnir is not so forgiving. The V200 is not optimal for the HE6 which was the main reason I sold it. The Mjolnir is better for the HE6 and sounds great but not as good as my speaker amp. It also sounds amazing with the HD800.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #2,167 of 3,079
Thanks rawster.

How do you say Mjolnir micro detail (not just sparkle and slam) compared to V200?

Recently I listen HD800 with small amp/DAC ATH-HA26D

and then I compared with RSA Darkstar

To my surprise
eek.gif
, the ATH is much more resolving and smoother than the Darkstar.  Darkstar has more punch though.
Quite a fine performer those ATH amps.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,168 of 3,079
Microdetail is hard to compare without having both. I haven't noticed anything lacking since I got the Mjolnir compared to when I had the V200.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,169 of 3,079
So if I want a versatile amp, get the V200?

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,170 of 3,079
The V200 is very versatile, seems to work well with just about any headphones.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,171 of 3,079
How much does the source make a difference when listening to V200? I have was thinking of buying a Arcam rPac and buying the V200 for my HD800's. In the process getting rid of my Audiolab M-Dac and Corda Jazz. Would the V200 still sound good if the source is not that great?

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,172 of 3,079
Quote:
How much does the source make a difference when listening to V200? I have was thinking of buying a Arcam rPac and buying the V200 for my HD800's. In the process getting rid of my Audiolab M-Dac and Corda Jazz. Would the V200 still sound good if the source is not that great?

It will sound as good as the source allows (in other words, prefer a good source to a good amp if you cannot have both)

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,173 of 3,079
Quote:
It will sound as good as the source allows (in other words, prefer a good source to a good amp if you cannot have both)

Thanks. I guess that brings things more into prospective. Maybe I should not be so hasty in getting rid of my M-DAC after all. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,174 of 3,079
Quote:

This is a tough one. The source matters a lot, and so does the amp. Whichever you choose to upgrade first, it's worth planning to end up with both the DAC&AMP on a similar level.

That said I did use my V200 with a budget DAC and it did ok, but as expected moving to a higher quality DAC brought back a lot more of the music. :)

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,175 of 3,079
Quote:

I wouldn't say it's a very aggressive amp. It does tilt towards the aggressive side but it is very sensitive to what kind of DAC you have or at least when paired with the HD800. The better the DAC the better it will sound. I have the HD800, Mjolnir and have paired it with my Yulong D18 as well as an Anedio D1 dac. Neither setup is very aggressive imo but the D18 is slightly more smooth.

Also the Mjolnir and HD800 is one of the better pairings I've heard. It's not the best but the most reasonable cost and size for my uses.

As for the V200 and Mjolnir both amps are good but they serve different purposes. The obvious one is that the Mjolnir only has balanced ouputs while the V200 has single ended. The best way I can think of it is the V200 is much more versatile while the Mjolnir serves a specific purpose. The V200 can have the gain changed depending on your headphone. It can go from sensitive custom iem to harder to drive headphones with a few exceptions. It also like a slight warmth to it that may or may not be desirable. The Mjolnir on the other hand has a slight aggression with lots of power and transparency. The warmth of the V200 makes it a bit more forgiving while the Mjolnir is not so forgiving. The V200 is not optimal for the HE6 which was the main reason I sold it. The Mjolnir is better for the HE6 and sounds great but not as good as my speaker amp. It also sounds amazing with the HD800.

rawrster, obviously you preferred the Mjolnir to the V200.  However, does the "slight aggression" of the Mjolnir ever lead to fatigue while listening to the HD800's?  I just wondered if you ever missed the "slight warmth" of the V200 in taming the highs on the HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back