Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Dec 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,891 of 3,062
i used to do this:

computer --> Nuforce HD via USB --> receiver via RCA cables (red and white)

when i plug my headphoens into the Nuforce HD, it would play music through headphones.  once unplugged, it would play music on my 5.1 speakers.

so the answer is that the receiver takes RCA cables for sure.  what else should I be looking for?

thanks rico.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,892 of 3,062
Does your computer have 5.1 surround output?  Look for an optical / digital 'Toslink' connection.  You could then split the signal with a optical/digital spliter from Monoprice.com ($6) + some extra cables.  Thus, you would be sending the signal to both the Nuforce DAC and the receiver.  This assumes the DAC will take a Toslink connection.  The DAC shown below lists a optical digital line in but the connection doesn't look right.

If your computer doesn't have an optical digital output then you probably don't have 5.1 output from your computer.  I assume you could just connect the analog outputs on the Nuforce DAC to the receiver using RCA cables (assuming you have the DAC shown below).  The signal will be stereo to your receiver, not 5.1 surround.

If none of this works and no one has a fix here, maybe a Nuforce thread would be more helpful.
nuforcehdprear.jpg

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #1,896 of 3,062
Quote:

I might be able to score a V100 in the short term and I was wondering if retrofitting it with Violectric USB Dac would give me acceptable performance compared to other budget alternatives...
sling5s if it's not asking to much from you could you elaborate a bit more on your impressions of the Violectric Dac?
Using the USB input version hopefully shouldn't mean much differences sonically...

I'm going to use this amp to power my modified GMP400 and I expect to hear an improvement over the Yulong D100 amp (sold), and I'm hoping that the Violectric USB Dac doesn't become a noticeable bottleneck...

Does anyone else some use a built-in Dac in the V100/200 amps?
Any more impressions to share?

Thanks!

To elaborate.  It's my personal feeling that dacs do not vary too much in sound signature like amps.  They do but not as much.  Secondly, the law of diminished returns is greater with dacs than amps.
You are paying for subtle refinements.  Therefore having said, that, I think the optional dac (24bit) is really a good option.  Especially considering, if violectric were to put the optional dac board in it's own stand alone case, with other options added like optical and coaxial or some other extra options, you are looking at a $400-500.  So my conclusion is, the optional dac really competes with other dacs in the $400 to $500 range and to my ears, I feel it does.  And to me it's sufficient. But this is all me and my own assumptions and speculations. 

Edit: I doubt violectrics would put a dac that would compromise their amp. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #1,898 of 3,062
Yup.  Fried recommends Optical but Robert at Aphroditecu29 recommends USB.  Robert says the USB sounds more analogue and Optical more digital.
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, sling5s.
I'm not sure where I got the idea that you have the optical input...
Are you using the USB input?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,901 of 3,062
Will it work with Linux? (I'm, rarely, on Linux though)
Hope it's easy to retrofit it inside the amp case, I'll have to do it this way if I get a used V100... on the website it's stated that it's just "pluging and screwing".
I'll probably go for the V100 (equivalent to G109 FWIR and can get it almost at the same price), hope I'm not losing much from the Apex Butte performance if any, can't find this one anywhere other than on TTVJ...

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,902 of 3,062
Oh, bummer...
Of topic, but I just went to TTVJ Audio website and saw that the Butte price will lower down to 400$ after it's added to shopping cart.
Pfffffffffffft... Can't decide!
I still much prefer the V100 added functionality and versatility so I'll try to stick to it now...

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,903 of 3,062
I´ve joined the club right now. Hd 800 and V200 is a real pleasant combination. :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,904 of 3,062
Quote:
Will it work with Linux? (I'm, rarely, on Linux though)
Hope it's easy to retrofit it inside the amp case, I'll have to do it this way if I get a used V100... on the website it's stated that it's just "pluging and screwing".
I'll probably go for the V100 (equivalent to G109 FWIR and can get it almost at the same price), hope I'm not losing much from the Apex Butte performance if any, can't find this one anywhere other than on TTVJ...

The Tenor TE7022L works well on Linux, but as project86 said it won't accept 88.2KHz. The best USB receiver I've have tried is the XMOS, but prices start at around the same price as Violectric's built-in DAC (and this is only for digital-to-digital converter). I guess the cheapest DAC with XMOS is the Cambridge DacMagic 100.

How much is the Apex with VAT and shipping to Portugal?

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,905 of 3,062
HPA V200 is very good amp.  
much warmer, and slightly drier sound than my previous schiit Asgard.
resolution and detail, 3-Dish soundstage is greatly improved.
and harshness in treble on some of my Tesla beyers are much reduced. 

It's really worth the price, and now I have to think about new DAC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back