Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #1,471 of 3,062
Not familiar with Echo audio fire but if you are having difficulty at least you can always just take a mini plug out of your headphone jack to a mini->rca cable and plug that into your rca(unbalanced)input of the Violectric.  At least you can listen then.  
But i can connect my interface jack balanced in violectric rca unbalanced?Not problem?

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #1,473 of 3,062
Quote:
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Well I do have a DAC, the Fiio E7 is a DAC/amplifier combo. And the USB module also has a DAC. But it's nice to have room for improvements with upgrades in the future. 
smile.gif
[/size]
[/size]
[size=10pt]And I’m looking forward very much to enjoying the V200/H500.[/size] 
L3000.gif

It's all about budgeting at the end of the day but I cannot recommend anymore strongly that you upgrade that Fiio E7
 quick smart - it is undoubtedly the biggest bottleneck in your chain now - even the new E17 walks all over the E7
 - ok, it's not half bad for the price but once you get onto a better DAC you will look back at the Fiio E7
 and think 'Yikes, this thing sucks'.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,474 of 3,062
Quote:
I got my V200 from Frank Lacone yesterday.  It's driving my HD800's while my Sound Quest SQ84-V2 is running my Quad ESL's in another room. 

I'd thought the V200 would be here long enough for me to find something else to run the Quads, then I'd go back to the Sound Quest (it really is fantastic on HD800's).  

The V2 sounds great on the Sennheisers.  I would have to do a direct compare with the tube amp to say which I preferred.   I suspect the SQ would be my favorite, but maybe not.   I really like the image stability, the quietness and dynamics of the V200.  It's a cute little bugger too, it's nice having an amp that doesn't take up much space. 

And I really like the volume pot.  Very smooth and lots of range, I'm running from 10:00 o'clock or so up to 12:00 o'clock.  I don't like amps that are at full blast by 9:00 or 10:00 o'clock.  

I wholeheartedly share these sentiments! The V200 is an awesome little amp and the size makes it that little bit more special.

It was highly recommended to me to run the volume pot at between 12 - 3pm, being told that this was the sweet spot for the V200. Glad you are enjoying this little beast of an amp.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,475 of 3,062
Quote:

It's all about budgeting at the end of the day but I cannot recommend anymore strongly that you upgrade that Fiio E7
 quick smart - it is undoubtedly the biggest bottleneck in your chain now - even the new E17 walks all over the E7
 - ok, it's not half bad for the price but once you get onto a better DAC you will look back at the Fiio E7
 and think 'Yikes, this thing sucks'.

[size=10pt]Well, I ordered the V200 with the USB 24/96 module, so hopefully that will be an upgrade...[/size]

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #1,477 of 3,062
So, the V200 arrived this morning. Straight out of the box and it is sounding great. I immediately noticed that it has smoothed out the treble edge that I was complaining about from my MDAC/T1 set up.  Bass extends deep and feels very controlled, very detailed. More impressions when I have had a proper listen.  But this set up is sounding seriously good from the get-go 
dt880smile.png

Quick question - has anyone any advice on the best gain setting for the T1? I'm on the factory default and up to about 11am on the dial.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #1,478 of 3,062
Quote:
So, the V200 arrived this morning. Straight out of the box and it is sounding great. I immediately noticed that it has smoothed out the treble edge that I was complaining about from my MDAC/T1 set up.  Bass extends deep and feels very controlled, very detailed. More impressions when I have had a proper listen.  But this set up is sounding seriously good from the get-go 
dt880smile.png

Quick question - has anyone any advice on the best gain setting for the T1? I'm on the factory default and up to about 11am on the dial.

Hmmm depending on whether you have source volume - that might be a sticking point - try -6dB on both channels and
 see where you're at - a lot of folk on here are giving the T1 another +6dB - Up #3 on both channels.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,479 of 3,062
I have had the V200 for about 8 weeks and the V800 for a month.........tweaking over this period I have found the following settings on my V200 and V800 to be the best sounding.

On the V200/V800 ground lifted everything that can be. Taken out the low pass filter on the V200. Set the V800 to the highest output at +24dBu. XLR out to the V200. Pre-Gain setting is on - 6 and -12 simultaneously. Listening with volume pot at between 12 - 3pm. My whole system is cabled in silver/gold with the exception of a high purity copper power cord for the V800 Dac.

Running :- Sony Vaio > JRiver > ASIO > m2Tech Hiface two > Coax > V800 > XLR > V200.

With the above configuration, it is extremely lively sounding, transparent and resolving. Attack and slam in the bass is incredible with good texture and decay. Mids are pushed quite forward and very lush articulating all nuances apparent on the recording. Highs are extremely sparkly without any of the roll off mentioned constantly on the thread.

I have managed to expand the soundstage quite significantly from when I just had the V200. On good recordings, sounds are emanating from beyond shoulders, 3-6" in front of the forehead and extending about 2' back with the HE500. 

All in all...extremely happy with this set up and have been spending the majority of my time listening to it as opposed to IEMs.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,481 of 3,062
Quote:

On the V200/V800 ground lifted everything that can be. Taken out the low pass filter on the V200. Set the V800 to the highest output at +24dBu. XLR out to the V200. Pre-Gain setting is on - 6 and -12 simultaneously. Listening with volume pot at between 12 - 3pm. My whole system is cabled in silver/gold with the exception of a high purity copper power cord for the V800 Dac.

Could someone explain "ground lifted"?  I remember reading about an internal modification (v200) many many pages ago, and now can't find it.  What is the downside of doing this?  Thanks in advance . . .

I tried setting both -6 and -12 pregain switches up, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  With just the -12 switchs set it sounded clearer actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back