Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,456 of 3,062
 I need some ideas as to which headphones match up with my new v200.  I'm considering Senn HD 800 or HD 700, Audeze LDC 2.2 or LCD 3, or Beyer T1's.  I'm listening to mainly classical and Jazz over a very detailed high quality 32 bit DAC.  Any thoughts or other suggestions based on your experience with Violectric v200 and these (or other) headphones?    Thanks in advance.

I also agree that Beyer T1 is a great match with the V200. I've always been a bit biased towards the beyer line but never did fall in love with any of the Tesla drivers till i tried this combo. When I did an extensive audition of this combo, I also listened to quite a few classical and modern jazz tunes and it left an indelible impression.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,457 of 3,062
Quote:
I also agree that Beyer T1 is a great match with the V200. I've always been a bit biased towards the beyer line but never did fall in love with any of the Tesla drivers till i tried this combo. When I did an extensive audition of this combo, I also listened to quite a few classical and modern jazz tunes and it left an indelible impression.

Good to know.  I'm wondering how the HD 800s compare to T1s on the v200 ?

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #1,459 of 3,062
[size=10pt]Hi[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I'm soon to become a member of the V200 owners club after having read thru this entire thread, various reviews and recommendations. I ordered it without hearing it, so I'm very excited to test out this amplifier! [/size]
[size=10pt]I'm very new to headfi and have gone from the Audio Technica ATH-M50 to the Hifiman HE-500 which I’m currently running on the Fiio E7+E9 combo. So I’m hoping this amplifier will be a good upgrade, seeing as the Fioo products seem to lack the power and finesse to drive the HE500 to its full potential.[/size]
[size=10pt]I also ordered it with the USB 24/96 module, which seems to me being a [size=x-small]price worthy alternative to an external DAC[/size], considering you don't have to pay for a cabinet, nor RCA/XLR cables and the possible impact/degradation of sound these can have.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]So thanks for an informative thread and a good read!
popcorn.gif
[/size]

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #1,460 of 3,062
Quote:
[size=10pt]Hi[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I'm soon to become a member of the V200 owners club after having read thru this entire thread, various reviews and recommendations. I ordered it without hearing it, so I'm very excited to test out this amplifier! [/size]
[size=10pt]I'm very new to headfi and have gone from the Audio Technica ATH-M50 to the Hifiman HE-500 which I’m currently running on the Fiio E7+E9 combo. So I’m hoping this amplifier will be a good upgrade, seeing as the Fioo products seem to lack the power and finesse to drive the HE500 to its full potential.[/size]
[size=10pt]I also ordered it with the USB 24/96 module, which seems to me being a [size=x-small]price worthy alternative to an external DAC[/size], considering you don't have to pay for a cabinet, nor RCA/XLR cables and the possible impact/degradation of sound these can have.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

Welcome to Head-Fi
beerchug.gif

Good choise, you will be pleased!
Just give it some time to burn-in. And have in mind that with really good (it doesn't mean really expensive!) source V200 will be better. :)

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #1,461 of 3,062
Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi
beerchug.gif

Good choise, you will be pleased!
Just give it some time to burn-in. And have in mind that with really good (it doesn't mean really expensive!) source V200 will be better. :)

[size=10pt]Thank you![/size]

[size=10pt]I'm not a big believer in burn-in electronics, can't say that I noticed any change in my Fiio's, though people state that these improve after some burn-in time. The HE500 on the other side seem to change a bit over time, I have a bout 100h on them now, and supposedly they need at least 200h. I am of course open for the possibility for improvement on the V200 also, but time will tell, I’m hoping to be satisfied nevertheless.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]A good DAC is on the list of possible upgrades in the future, but I will for now, make do with the comfort of an all in one package with the V200 and the module.[/size][size=10pt]I will also try comparing the DAC in the Fiio and V200 to see if my untrained ears can make out the difference.[/size] 
blink.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,462 of 3,062
Quote:
[size=10pt]Thank you![/size]

[size=10pt]I'm not a big believer in burn-in electronics, can't say that I noticed any change in my Fiio's, though people state that these improve after some burn-in time. The HE500 on the other side seem to change a bit over time, I have a bout 100h on them now, and supposedly they need at least 200h. I am of course open for the possibility for improvement on the V200 also, but time will tell, I’m hoping to be satisfied nevertheless.[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]A good DAC is on the list of possible upgrades in the future, but I will for now, make do with the comfort of an all in one package with the V200 and the module.[/size][size=10pt]I will also try comparing the DAC in the Fiio and V200 to see if my untrained ears can make out the difference.[/size] 
blink.gif

If I may ask, what source are you using? Thank you

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,465 of 3,062
Quote:
Samsung Series 7 laptop, mainly Spotify, some 320kbs mp3 and Flac files thru Winamp.

The V200/HE500 are pretty revealing so once you get a DAC, the improvements are very noticeable!

I am running a Sony Viao with JRiver and am getting very good sounds from both a Bladelius usb DAC and a V800. With the V800, adding a HiFace 2 made all the difference, otherwise using the usb input directly from a laptop, it was very dull and closed in sounding.

Enjoy the V200/HE500.............

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,466 of 3,062
Quote:

The V200/HE500 are pretty revealing so once you get a DAC, the improvements are very noticeable!

I am running a Sony Viao with JRiver and am getting very good sounds from both a Bladelius usb DAC and a V800. With the V800, adding a HiFace 2 made all the difference, otherwise using the usb input directly from a laptop, it was very dull and closed in sounding.

Enjoy the V200/HE500.............

[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Well I do have a DAC, the Fiio E7 is a DAC/amplifier combo. And the USB module also has a DAC. But it's nice to have room for improvements with upgrades in the future. 
smile.gif
[/size]
[/size]
[size=10pt]And I’m looking forward very much to enjoying the V200/H500.[/size] 
L3000.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,468 of 3,062
Not familiar with Echo audio fire but if you are having difficulty at least you can always just take a mini plug out of your headphone jack to a mini->rca cable and plug that into your rca(unbalanced)input of the Violectric.  At least you can listen then.  

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,469 of 3,062
Not to derail at all, but tomorrow I will post my review of the Violectric V181. I am also going to re-review my X-CANV8P and Audio-GD ROC.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,470 of 3,062
I got my V200 from Frank Lacone yesterday.  It's driving my HD800's while my Sound Quest SQ84-V2 is running my Quad ESL's in another room. 

I'd thought the V200 would be here long enough for me to find something else to run the Quads, then I'd go back to the Sound Quest (it really is fantastic on HD800's).  

The V2 sounds great on the Sennheisers.  I would have to do a direct compare with the tube amp to say which I preferred.   I suspect the SQ would be my favorite, but maybe not.   I really like the image stability, the quietness and dynamics of the V200.  It's a cute little bugger too, it's nice having an amp that doesn't take up much space. 

And I really like the volume pot.  Very smooth and lots of range, I'm running from 10:00 o'clock or so up to 12:00 o'clock.  I don't like amps that are at full blast by 9:00 or 10:00 o'clock.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back