Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Apr 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,201 of 3,062
The live music also has warm coloration and the highs are rolled off compared to some high-end gear. I think the V200 has the same shortcomings. 
beerchug.gif

We must listen to live music more often :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,202 of 3,062

Quote:
Instead I'm afraid of this coloration.
I have listened to very good amps which i didnt like due to this reason (most Pass designs I heard, nuforce and other class D, and other less important names).
Colorations either make the sound unnatural / fake" / "hifi" or ruin the timbre, or both.
This is the only reason that is preventing me for having already took the plunge and got a v200.

In my 32 years of audiophileness I've never come across any piece of gear whatever it was that didn't have some sort of "character" to it.   Good luck in your hunt.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #1,203 of 3,062
so far since I received my V200 I had listening to my v800 v200 t1 many many additive hours
the combo performs at his best but the music result and enjoyement  is recording dependable
I have 320k mp3 s that sounds better than  flacs 16/44.1 or even 24/96 
one of the connectors of the v200 is used to connect a zobel network for the T1
the v800 no gain changed sometimes x4 oversampling some times "best"
the xlr output to and dbx 231 analog 31 band eq (X2)  the xlr outputs to connected  the xlr imputs of the v200
with this setup (with the eq) I dont feel that the sound ruined the opposite
I ihave the freedom now  to change the frequency response to my taste (some push in the 20-100 hrz and a correction for the 8khz fr T! hump  )
this setup had created the sound synergy my old ears required
the sound is at all not fatiguing presenting me all the layers of the audio composition the same as a good ccd sensor that does not blur and smear between the colors here I have very precise sounds (with a precise instrument timre) a stable space focus for every sound  even when maximum sound in explosions you can hear the tinny sounds of a triangle
somewhere fixed  in the sapce
the combination of the sounds interact each one with the others giving a nice audio picture
the reality of the sounds are sometimes incredible that makes me take out the headphones my head to see if if some sound is coming from the outside world
I had heard  many sound equipments in my life but his one is the best
I had listening many times to the soundtrack A GAME OF SHADOWS  there is there so much music creativity insde the tracks  but you need a good amp to reach that
the v200 looks like a beauty imo sounds also like a beauty
I do not think the eq in the middle of the chain had done anything wrong to the sound the opposite it helped to get the best of the gear you have (v800 v200 t1)
reducing also the dynamic range some 7 db had not any effect at all to the music impact  and not a compressed audio music experience

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,204 of 3,062
"With all of the amps that I have reviewed, I don’t think there is any exception to the rule that the amp will produce a cleaner sound at low gain. The background is always blacker, instruments more distinct, less congested sound, and a bigger soundstage — all the result of using the amp at low gain.
When you’re on the low gain level, you may have to use your volume control at the high range, around 3 or 4 O’clock as opposed to a more “normal” range at 10 or 11 O’clock. Fear not as this is actually a bonus, as the potentiometer is known to perform better at close or near maximum, so you get an even cleaner sound.
With high gain, you get the opposite of the qualities I described above, but I can see why some people prefer high gain. Often the sound is more forward on high gain and bass punch tend to be punchier. Don’t ask me why that is, just something I picked up from doing reviews. It’s a more fun sound, at the expense of the clean technicalities.
Of course with some headphones I have no choice but to go with high gain, but when I have a choice, I set it at low gain."

http://www.headfonia.com/headfonia-tips-keep-your-amps-at-low-gain/#disqus_thread

some thoughts about the gain from a person with good experience with headphone gear. They exactly repeat my words here some weeks ago. I also find difference in the FR of V200 at low gain.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #1,205 of 3,062

Quote:
"With all of the amps that I have reviewed, I don’t think there is any exception to the rule that the amp will produce a cleaner sound at low gain. The background is always blacker, instruments more distinct, less congested sound, and a bigger soundstage — all the result of using the amp at low gain.
When you’re on the low gain level, you may have to use your volume control at the high range, around 3 or 4 O’clock as opposed to a more “normal” range at 10 or 11 O’clock. Fear not as this is actually a bonus, as the potentiometer is known to perform better at close or near maximum, so you get an even cleaner sound.
With high gain, you get the opposite of the qualities I described above, but I can see why some people prefer high gain. Often the sound is more forward on high gain and bass punch tend to be punchier. Don’t ask me why that is, just something I picked up from doing reviews. It’s a more fun sound, at the expense of the clean technicalities.
Of course with some headphones I have no choice but to go with high gain, but when I have a choice, I set it at low gain."

http://www.headfonia.com/headfonia-tips-keep-your-amps-at-low-gain/#disqus_thread

some thoughts about the gain from a person with good experience with headphone gear. They exactly repeat my words here some weeks ago. I also find difference in the FR of V200 at low gain.

if this is the situation the best is an " amplifier " with zero gain  (or in other words a bUffer amplifier ) a paradox amplifier without amplification  only for matching in out impedances
in our real world we need some voltage amplification of some kind before this buffer if not the dynamic range will somehow limited
in any case any one is free to bilieve what he thinks is  the through but as in complex numbers
we have more than one soulutions to the problems (some real and others unreal) my choise is
is for a real one 

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,206 of 3,062

I use mine on -12 gain setting.  Never need to turn it up past 10 o'clock with the HD800 and 9 o'clock with the Denon 5000.  Here is a picture with the MDAC.  Sweet combo.

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,208 of 3,062
Quote:
In my 32 years of audiophileness I've never come across any piece of gear whatever it was that didn't have some sort of "character" to it.   Good luck in your hunt.

I said colorations, not character. I have listened to plenty of equipment (ok i have less years of audiophileness because i'm still in my 30s :) ) with either or both. In the thread i opened about suggestions to find an amp for my HPs, i expressed more extensively what kind of sound i like, with reference to some power amps. It's the headphone market with some unique products that I dont really know and it's hard to find comparisons to traditional hifi gear.

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,209 of 3,062
Quote:
if this is the situation the best is an " amplifier " with zero gain  (or in other words a bUffer amplifier ) a paradox amplifier without amplification  only for matching in out impedances
in our real world we need some voltage amplification of some kind before this buffer if not the dynamic range will somehow limited

It depends on how that power buffer is done, if and where the volume control is made. For today's low impedance headphones we dont really need more than the 2V standard of all modern dacs and CDPs, so that a power buffer is a perfectly viable solution and it wont limit the dynamics.
But also the source must be matched. :wink:

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,210 of 3,062

Quote:

It depends on how that power buffer is done, if and where the volume control is made. For today's low impedance headphones we dont really need more than the 2V standard of all modern dacs and CDPs, so that a power buffer is a perfectly viable solution and it wont limit the dynamics.
But also the source must be matched. :wink:

you have thousands of options and infinite combinations  to short the list and short the hunting time maybe you hear recommendations by other people 
the perfect sound is by now the real stage band nothing else

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #1,211 of 3,062
Hi there,

first of all let me explain what happens when the Violectric Amp is set to AC or DC operation.

When the amp is set to AC operation, in case of V200 frequencies below 12 Hz (-3dB point) are cut with 6 dB/oct.
The Frequencies are cut with the aid of a capacitor in the signal chain.
Also, as this is an analog filter, there is a phase shift applied to the frequencies which is 90 degrees at 12 Hz. 

DC operation means that not only very low down to unhearable frequencies are amplified in a linear way, but also DC.
So, if you like and you have the right adaptor, you can use the amp to theoretically charge your phone.

Well, now you may share the opinion that DC operation - as it is linear and you dont want a capacitor in the chain - is the best way to treat your signal.
But, beware !!
There may be smaller or larger amounts of DC in your signal coming from your source.
In fact, there is always some DC offset in the signal, you can hear it for instance when it clicks during selecting a source or when you go from mute to unmute.
And this small DC voltage will be amplified like the rest of the signal and will force the diaphragm from your headphone constantly out of the middle position.
The voice coil will get hot or even warm, the maximum amplitude is limited, distortions will happen ...

We have selected a very low frequency for AC operation, and believe me, there is nothing to hear - maybe to feel – below 12 Hz.
Also we have chosen very "musical" capacitors to not do any harm to the audio signal.
AC operation is an insurance policy for your headphones !
At least, DC operation is a little bit ingenuity and a bigger portion marketing so we can say " we can do that " - but to say it frankly, it is not very reasonable.

Are there any changes in sound signature with different Pre-Gain levels ...

When lower gains (-6 dB / -12 dB) are selected, this is done in front of an opamp by damping the signal with the aid of resistors.
The following opamp only cares for low impedance to source the next stage.

When higher gains (+6 dB / +12 dB) are selected, this is done in the feedback path from the op-amp which will add some noise
and lower the gain bandwidth of the op-amp – but only very very little.

I can hardly believe that these settings may have any effects on the sound and I have never experienced a change of the sound signature myself.

But I can imagine, when evaluating all the different gain opportunities, it is tackling to achieve the same volume with the volume control as
before when altering the Pre-Gain by +/- 6 or 12 dB. And we all know, that the louder signal is often valued as the better signal.
It is also a fact that the volume control itself has influences on the sound signature.
So I can see that  the position of the volume control will have some influences and these may be judged to be in/decreasing for the sound.

Greetz

Fried

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #1,212 of 3,062
Quote:
We have selected a very low frequency for AC operation, and believe me, there is nothing to hear - maybe to feel – below 12 Hz. Also we have chosen very "musical" capacitors to not do any harm to the audio signal.
AC operation is an insurance policy for your headphones !
At least, DC operation is a little bit ingenuity and a bigger portion marketing so we can say " we can do that " - but to say it frankly, it is not very reasonable.

Does this mean that the V200 is set to AC operation by default? My G100 is set to DC operation. Do you recommend changing the jumper setting on the G100?

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,213 of 3,062
Thank you Fried, this has been my experience with the V200, I have not heard any advantages to decreasing the gain with full-size headphone so I keep it a zero gain.  I have also tried it at higher gain for fun with the orthos and the penalties are minimal if barely audible at all.  As some have indicated, decreasing the gain may give one more precise control over the entire volume range.    

Quote:
Are there any changes in sound signature with different Pre-Gain levels ...

When lower gains (-6 dB / -12 dB) are selected, this is done in front of an opamp by damping the signal with the aid of resistors.
The following opamp only cares for low impedance to source the next stage.

When higher gains (+6 dB / +12 dB) are selected, this is done in the feedback path from the op-amp which will add some noise
and lower the gain bandwidth of the op-amp – but only very very little.

I can hardly believe that these settings may have any effects on the sound and I have never experienced a change of the sound signature myself.

But I can imagine, when evaluating all the different gain opportunities, it is tackling to achieve the same volume with the volume control as
before when altering the Pre-Gain by +/- 6 or 12 dB. And we all know, that the louder signal is often valued as the better signal.
It is also a fact that the volume control itself has influences on the sound signature.
So I can see that  the position of the volume control will have some influences and these may be judged to be in/decreasing for the sound.

Greetz

Fried

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,214 of 3,062
I feel like alien here... Am I the only one who finds considerable changes in FR and overall sound with different gain settings?

-12db - flatter, more linear but less spacious sound
+12db - more bass and mid/treble detail

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,215 of 3,062
I've only tried the -6 and 0 gain but never really noticed much of a difference but wasn't paying attention to any changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back