Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Mar 31, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,187 of 3,062

Quote:
The build quality section of the review in post #1 is useless. Discussion about color led and box enclore doesn't tell us anything about the quality of the amp, the attenuator, the OP amp, power supply, use of surface mount component and all those things us care about!

about the the things I care about the sound of the amp  I know that if the amp was not build with quality  the  inside does not  matter even  were pure gold components on a simple lowest quality pcb 
external quality radiated internal quality of a product  before buying the amp I looked at the internal photos of the amp and compared to many others products (hi end ) and sometimes was astonished of an high priced amp looking so bad inside using already obsolete electronic components
I wll no give companies names but the pictures speaks for themselfs
I think the researches that creates the v200 put a lot of efforts in aestetics mechanics and electronics had achieved a superb product
many many components had passed through my hands  only one had a comparable  quality ( uher cr124 cassete tape)
this little machine( also made in germany) that was state of the art in the seventies  was build so good that even was selected by the nasa  in a flight mission to the moon ( not a joke ! you can check ) 

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,188 of 3,062

Apologies in advance if I missed the boat on this V200 alteration, but has anyone gone ahead and changed
 the DC Offset of the V200?

http://www.audiophysics.hk/downloads/pdf/24/Jumper%20selection.pdf

Audiophysics in Hong Kong seem to swear by it, no good though if it ends up killing any sub 50ohm impedance
 headphone though.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #1,189 of 3,062

Apologies in advance if I missed the boat on this V200 alteration, but has anyone gone ahead and changed
 the DC Offset of the V200?

http://www.audiophysics.hk/downloads/pdf/24/Jumper%20selection.pdf

Audiophysics in Hong Kong seem to swear by it, no good though if it ends up killing any sub 50ohm impedance
 headphone though.

I'd check with Violectric before doing that just to get a feel for their opinion. I guess if you know the specs of your source then it might be worth trying though. If you are the type to believe a single capacitor can greatly color the sound.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,190 of 3,062

Quote:
I'd check with Violectric before doing that just to get a feel for their opinion. I guess if you know the specs of your source then it might be worth trying though. If you are the type to believe a single capacitor can greatly color the sound.

Don't think I'm game enough project86 - from what I can gather any 300ohm+ headphone might be worth a risk, heck I'd put
 my DT990 600ohm on the line - looking at the Rega DAC spec sheet, it appears to have the following output voltage

Maximum output level = 2.175V into 100KΩ load

Well under 4V so it would be safe - don't know if I risk it though with my 32ohm PS1000 if it did happen to discharge.

In any case, who the hell am I to speculate - time to speak to Freid. Interesting though because Audio Physics
 in Hong Kong are a legit Violectric reseller so I'm guessing that Freid is also across the question.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,192 of 3,062
Just got my unit in today from Robert at AphroditeCu29. He was a pleasure to deal with and had this amp shipped to me within 3 days of payment. Loving the sound from it so far. In particular, the absolutely dead silent background, even with my 1964-T customs, is terrific. The sound of a bow biting into a stringed instrument after a brief pause is really spot on.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #1,193 of 3,062
As long as the amp sounds good I don't really care if a step attenuator is used. Especially if the money can be spent on other things that can improve the sound more; or does not degrade the sound as much. It's not like these companies are using a cheap pot. The Alps unit is of decent quality. My audio-gd has a Alps unit and I have not noticed any channel imbalance that is bothersome. I listen at relatively low volumes.

How do you compare the sound of the V200 to your audio-gd C2.1?

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #1,194 of 3,062

I'd say the V200 may or may not have competition with the new fully balanced Audio-gd NFB-6 - $399 on Promo

[size=x-small]Headphone amp Output Power 
(Balanced model , only for headphones)[/size]

[size=x-small]4500 MW /  50 ohm 

3000 MW  /  100 ohm

1200 MW / 300 ohm

600 MW / 600 ohm
[/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small] Preamp Output Level (Max, RMS)[/size]
[size=x-small]10V @ RCA
 20V @ XLR
4MA @ ACSS
[/size]
[size=x-small]Output impedance[/size]
[size=x-small]1 ohm @ XLR[/size]

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #1,195 of 3,062

Quote:

I'd say the V200 may or may not have competition with the new fully balanced Audio-gd NFB-6 - $399 on Promo

[size=x-small]SS[/size]

[size=x-small]Output impedance[/size]
[size=x-small]1 ohm @ XLR[/size]

That statement may or may not be totally meaningless.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,196 of 3,062

Quote:
That statement may or may not be totally meaningless.

What I meant to say is that this amplifier is new from Audio-gd hence no one has heard it, it could deliver or it may not but it does look very
 promising on paper.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #1,197 of 3,062
I have been using the Violectric HPA V200/Audeze LCD-2 combination to  fine-tune my turntable support. With my Front-end,the support can really interact with the turntable because the turntable(though superb) is suspensionless.

The way that the sound morphs as I change the support factors has to be heard to be believed. Every specific facet of sound quality is ultimately affected(ie dynamics,tonal balance,detail,syncopation,expressiveness). When things are optimised correctly,the difference between a good fine-tune and a bad one can be absolutely HUGE. This leads me to believe that the V200/LCD-2 combination is extremely revealing.

There may be flaws in both the V200 and the LCD-2,but based upon this fine-tuning of my turntable support,I would guess that it would only be a world-class front-end and interconnects etc which would totally outclass the combination. The combo is revealing enough that other factors may well be at play when dissatisfaction is expressed about the sound experience from this pairing.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,199 of 3,062
100 ohm output impedance via XLR would still be considered quite good for typical input impedance of an active monitor via XLR is 10,000 ohms.  1 ohm output impedance via XLR is bogus.

They may be referring to the headphone output XLR though, in which case it is not bad (but could be better). Their page is not very clear, as usual.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,200 of 3,062
If anything most people say it is on "the warm side" which usually means a touch of warmth past neutral. Whatever neutral is.   My own observation of the V200's warmth is such and has been stated in my own impression.  http://www.head-fi.org/products/violectric-hpa-v200/reviews/5331

"There is also an overall warmth to this amp but not too much, not overly present or in any way intrusive.  This warmth does not seem to be a manifestation of any undue or excess mid bass emphasis, its just there in the presentation in a beneficial way rather than detracting and does not obscure the the amps detail or compromise definition.  Personally I find this warmth pleasant, inviting and gratifying."

Instead I'm afraid of this coloration.
I have listened to very good amps which i didnt like due to this reason (most Pass designs I heard, nuforce and other class D, and other less important names).
Colorations either make the sound unnatural / fake" / "hifi" or ruin the timbre, or both.
This is the only reason that is preventing me for having already took the plunge and got a v200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back