Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Nov 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,656 of 3,062
To all Mac users with the internal USB-DAC card installed:

Starting with Yosemite (Mac OS X 10.10) Apple requires all kernel extensions (i.e. your DAC driver) to be signed. Unfortunately, Lake People / Violectric have not updated their driver with the right signature yet. As a consequence the driver will not be loaded by the OS and your music will sound funny to say the least. If you already updated to Yosemite and have no way to roll back to the old OS version you can circumvent the problem by disabling the signature check with the following procedure:

- Open a terminal (open Spotlight and type "terminal", a text console will appear)

- Type the following: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

- Press enter

- Type in your admin/root password and press enter.

The next time you plug in your Vio the driver should be correctly loaded (maybe reboot if not). You have to repeat this procedure after resetting the PRAM of the Mac.

HTH,
nicooo

PS: When you look around the internet you will notice that Violectric isn't the only company without up to date drivers. Apparantly a lot of USB DACs suffer from the same problem since the drivers are usually supplied by the chip manufacturers (Tenor in this case) who can't be bothered to sign their drivers. If you haven't updated to Yosemite yet I suggest you hold off until the situation has cleared.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,657 of 3,062
Hello Everbody.

I like to inform you about our new (higher) prices for selected models valid from 1st of January 2015
The listed prices are the European prices without VAT.
Please aks Arthur Power from   www.violectric-usa.com  for detailed US prices.

New prices from beginning of 2015:
V200 = 756,30 Euro
V220 = 1176,47 Euro
V281 = 1596,64 Euro

All other Violectric products will have the current prices which are stable since 2010 !

So, if you want to save some money, dont hesitate to order THIS year.
We expect some delivery delays in the beginning of the new year :wink:
Please note that in case of an order you will not be charged with any (pre)payment until your unit is ready to be delivered !!
Also we grant your right of revocation which can be performed by simply not paying the pro-forma invoice which is send to you when your goods are ready to be delivered.
Of course (in case you changed your mind) it would be more polite to inform us in advance to ease things and not to produce office operations in vain ...

Best Regards

Fried Reim
(CEO of Lake People and Violectric)

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #2,658 of 3,062
I'm considering buying a V200 amp for my K501.. Yesterday I bought a Grado SR225e headphone.

Anyone heard the Grado 225 on the Violectric?

-edit-  just ordered me a V200
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2,659 of 3,062
  I'm considering buying a V200 amp for my K501.. Yesterday I bought a Grado SR225e headphone.

Anyone heard the Grado 225 on the Violectric?

-edit-  just ordered me a V200
biggrin.gif

When I bought my V220 the K501 were the first to get plugged in. It's jaw dropping how much those headphones scaled. Stayed with those cans for 4 days exclusively. No "need" to get more "music" out of that!

Listening to anything with horns on those babies is just pure magic. I'm now certain that those headphones need a special amp to show all they can give.

On Grados there really wasn't anything miraculous going on. They just sound great as always. 

Of course, there are a few differences between the V200 and a V220 but I don't really think sonically it will be a night and day difference.

Please share some feedback later. I'm curious 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #2,666 of 3,062
I don't remember ever being mentioned about any Vio amp being Class A. What class it is I won't dare to speculate.
Mine barely gets warm :)

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2,667 of 3,062
I've noticed the pot on my unit has started to become scratchy, does anyone know how easy it is to get to and lubricate?

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,669 of 3,062
Do you mean that it's touching the chassis in parts, or the sound it makes through the cans when you adjust the volume?

Ah, forgot to mention the only effect is how it feels when I turn it. No audible changes. I think it's just the wiper.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,670 of 3,062
Ah, forgot to mention the only effect is how it feels when I turn it. No audible changes. I think it's just the wiper.

I had a similar issue with mine. There's a set-screw on the side of the knob. Once loosened, the knob can be moved at will. I set mine a few millimeters above its previous position. It solved the problem, as the knob was lightly rubbing against the faceplate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back