Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,626 of 3,062
Due to kids, work commitments etc. I was off the hobby for about three years until about 6 months ago when I put together a little portable rig consisting of AKG K550 + FIIO E12 + iPhone 4s loaded with 44/16 aiff files for listening in the car as that was the only time I could have for myself (sad but true and who has kids and a full time job would probably understand). And man I got bitten again! What a sound, what a joy, what a pleasurable commute! I've been on this and other forums ever since and found things had moved on significantly in the past 5 years or so: SACD grabbing now possible using an old jailbroken Playstation 3, a bit-perfect and DSD playback via USB / DoP, availability of hi-res downloads, plenty of DACs around with asynchronous USB and DSD capability, good choice of playback software for MAC OS X and WINDOWS, even my iPhone can now play DSD files using Onkyo Player app! Happy times! I decided on selling my heavily unused STAX SRM 727ii + SR404 + Marantz SA7001KI SACD player and replacing them with a Violectric HPA200 amp, a Matrix X-Sabre DAC and a Sennheiser HD600 headphones (all based on reflections from users on this and other forums) using a JRiver Media Centre on a Mac BookPro as a source. And again - what a sound, what a musical pleasure! A league above the STAX system on sound quality, two leagues above it on practicality and all that for more or less the same money. True the Violectric is a bit laid back / dark / suppressed but hey if one wishes for more forward / brighter sound signature it is very easy to use the 64-bit equaliser / DSP built into the JRiver Media Centre! IMHO the Violectric HPA200 is a well sorted little headphone amplifier that could be all that one will ever need as long as he's happy with just one input and a single-ended output.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,627 of 3,062
My HE-560s are all the way on 5 o clock, nearing all the to max. Should I change the Audio GD NFB (connected to v200 - used as my dac b/c of the sabre chip) from Fixed to Variable instead? The violectric is almost at max. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #2,632 of 3,062
I can only hope he delivers. I thought it was too good to be true, but after reviewing his profile it seems like a win. (I think he really wanted to get into tubes.)

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #2,633 of 3,062
[COLOR=222222]My HE-560s are all the way on 5 o clock, nearing all the to max. Should I change the Audio GD NFB (connected to v200 - used as my dac b/c of the sabre chip) from Fixed to Variable instead? The violectric is almost at max. Any thoughts? Thanks.[/COLOR]

Check the dip switches in the back of the V200. Then select the one for + 6 or + 12 dB (check your manual but I think they are the last two to the right) and you are in business.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2,634 of 3,062
hi, how is the pre-amp on the v200. im thinking of picking up one to drive my lcd x but also want to connect to my active speakers. the speakers are on the bright side, would they benefit from the v200. i do like a bit of warmth to my music. my dac is the chord hugo. cheers

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #2,635 of 3,062
Hi.

I'm a lucky owner of a pair Audeze LCD-X

Right now i'm using a very neutral setup, (Hegel HD11 and Holographic Audio Ear One)
Because of this neutral set-up, i find the lack bass quite boring when listening to bassy music and watching movies. Note that i'm not a basshead... But sometimes it's nice.

I'm wondering if the V200 would give the LCD-X some more body in this matter? And yes the X is quite a neutral headphone i know, so an amp might not do wonders, in that perspective i'm clear

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #2,637 of 3,062
  I think you're on the right track. The V200 will probably bring out a little warmth but don't expect a transformation into an early model LCD-2 (which was VERY warm indeed). 

The problem with living in sweden is that I have 150 miles to the closest store that retails Violectric amps
mad.gif
 So it's not very easy to get a demo. And i just feel like an a-hole when I order something and sending it back, because it's not of my liking

No, i'm not expecting anything like that, just a little more bottom and overall warmth

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,638 of 3,062
Hi.

I'm a lucky owner of a pair Audeze LCD-X

Right now i'm using a very neutral setup, (Hegel HD11 and Holographic Audio Ear One)

Because of this neutral set-up, i find the lack bass quite boring when listening to bassy music and watching movies. Note that i'm not a basshead... But sometimes it's nice.

I'm wondering if the V200 would give the LCD-X some more body in this matter? And yes the X is quite a neutral headphone i know, so an amp might not do wonders, in that perspective i'm clear

You might want to try the Pan Am also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back