Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Dec 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,387 of 3,061
Okay, it's good to know you're not having any issues with the pairing. I didn't think it would anyway considering the LCD X's 22 ohm impedance, etc.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,389 of 3,061
I see here many positive opinions on using V200 with audeze headphones. I find this combination far from neutral to the dark side unless you use the amp at its +12db setting. And still remains unnaturally dark. It's definitely not my choise for acoustic music, jazz, chamber or orchestral.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2,391 of 3,061
  I see here many positive opinions on using V200 with audeze headphones. I find this combination far from neutral to the dark side unless you use the amp at its +12db setting. And still remains unnaturally dark. It's definitely not my choise for acoustic music, jazz, chamber or orchestral.

Trust me. The darkness is not with the V200. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #2,392 of 3,061
  Trust me. The darkness is not with the V200. 

Yes, but LCDs need more airy/clinical frontend instead the mellow V200. They become more energetic witch V200 at +12db but still not a good combo for people who listen to acoustic music. Right now I'm listening to Parov Stelar with LCD-2.2+v200 and it's OK but any well mastered orchestral music is veiled and congested.
I'm saying this to prevent disappointments of people who listen mainly to jazz or classical.

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,393 of 3,061
interesting, i find on the v800 xlr v200 that the lcd2 is actually best suited for jazz and acoustic folk and slower rock, as well as for classical despite the simpler sound stage

most of the audiophiles actively engaged in classical and canonical music strongly agreed that the pairing was excellent, for tonal accuracy and presence

i had the lcd2, sold them cos they were a little slow and mellow for high octane metal, but missed them really bad, so i got the lcd3, and they really fixed the slow aspect of the 2, and add a ton of detail and a really good soundstage, toe to toe with the hd800, and plus the overall sound is something really beautiful, liquid, dark but at the same time tons of detail, separation, resolution, and the tone is just perfect

now i'm really interested to know what is your setup, source interconnections etc... and is the v200 at default settings, did you get it 2nd hand?

cos with the v800 xlr to v200 the lcds are really loud and fast as it gets... +6 and +12 would be to much in my setup

and if you are into electronica, 8bit, and such, i find the v800 xlr v200 lcd2 to be really good, and the lcd3 are just magic

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #2,394 of 3,061
roskodan, hello :)
How V200-V800 combo with HD 650? (speed and depth bass for techno, trance, space for ambient..)

I really don't know what to buy: V200 or Burson Soloist for 650 and, may be LCD2 or HD800 sometime :\

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,397 of 3,061
  interesting, i find on the v800 xlr v200 that the lcd2 is actually best suited for jazz and acoustic folk and slower rock, as well as for classical despite the simpler sound stage

most of the audiophiles actively engaged in classical and canonical music strongly agreed that the pairing was excellent, for tonal accuracy and presence

i had the lcd2, sold them cos they were a little slow and mellow for high octane metal, but missed them really bad, so i got the lcd3, and they really fixed the slow aspect of the 2, and add a ton of detail and a really good soundstage, toe to toe with the hd800, and plus the overall sound is something really beautiful, liquid, dark but at the same time tons of detail, separation, resolution, and the tone is just perfect

now i'm really interested to know what is your setup, source interconnections etc... and is the v200 at default settings, did you get it 2nd hand?

cos with the v800 xlr to v200 the lcds are really loud and fast as it gets... +6 and +12 would be to much in my setup

and if you are into electronica, 8bit, and such, i find the v800 xlr v200 lcd2 to be really good, and the lcd3 are just magic

My system is:
All components are fed by Furman Elite 16 PFEi power conditioner
PC (Win 8 64bit; JRiver MC18)---->
Proel Die Hard firewire cable---->
Weiss DAC202U---->
Van den Hul The Second XLR or Eagle Cable Condor Blue MC 3.1 RCA (depends on my mood, the latter compensates part of the darkness)---->
Violectric HPA V200.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,398 of 3,061
 XLR Output
8.15Vrms +20.44 dBu with a 0 dBFS sinewave input
4.15Vrms +14.57 dBu with a 0 dBFS sinewave input
2.12Vrms +7.74 dBu with a 0 dBFS sinewave input
1.06Vrms +2.72 dBu with a 0 dBFS sinewave input

on your dac you can choose between those settings for the xlr output, the v800 equivalent would be the 4.14V +14.57dBu, and with that setting the v200 should be good at 0dB pre-gain

other things you could check is that the dac volume is at 100% and that the v200 is at the default settings, AC operation and main ground set to LIFT

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,399 of 3,061
  on your dac you can choose between those settings for the xlr output, the v800 equivalent would be the 4.14V +14.57dBu, and with that setting the v200 should be good at 0dB pre-gain

other things you could check is that the dac volume is at 100% and that the v200 is at the default settings, AC operation and main ground set to LIFT

Thank you, I'll check with these settings and report here :)
Now I'm listening the weiss with volume bypassed and at 1.06Vrms +2.72 dBu.
And how can I set the AC operation and main ground of V200?

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,400 of 3,061
no wonder you need +12 pre-gain, set the v200 at 0dB pre-gain and rise your dac to +14dBu with the volume bypassed or at 100%

but remember to set the v200 pre-gain at 0dBu first to avoid distortion clipping etc.

i found that leaving the v200 at the default 0dB pre-gain and rise or lower the source instead yield more consistent results, you can play with your dac settings and setup the sound to your taste, enjoy

edit: for checking the v200 is set to AC and ground to LIFT you need to open the device, search for instruction in the manual and i posted some howto posts too

first turn off and unplug the power mains cables and all the other cables as well

for the v800 one should first remove the metal cylinder of the volume pot and the nut underneath it, that holds the pot to the case,
than the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than the four corners hex screws from the back panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm
than lift the upper cover starting from the back

for the v200 lift the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than the four corners hex screws from the back panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm (not more cos there's a patch cable holding the pcb to the pot and the front panel)
than lift the upper cover starting from the back

enjoy messing with all the configurable settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back