[Review] VentureCraft Go-DAP iPhone 3G/3GS battery pack and headphone amp (works with iPod, too!)
Dec 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

shigzeo

The Hiss King

I love this amp/battery pack, especially after layering its roomy bed with velcro and tape to fit my 2G iPod. 

Surprisingly, it is a world's first. One device that sounds great and can boost your iPhone's battery life also sports the 30-pin dock connector for line out and a great portable amp. For the money, I think there is no better option for iPhone/iPod users: you don't need expensive third-party line out docks or amps. Perfect design.

Note, it does NOT fit every iPod/iPhone model, but it works good enough for most of them.

The sound is on the smooth side of natural, but clean and well extended. There is a high-pass filter built in. It is NOT load-induced roll-off and, despite owning a lot of thin-sounding earphones, I really enjoy the sound this badboy outputs. In fact, I like it enough that I don't leave home without it.

Another inconvenient truth is that... well, for most intents and purposes, I favour it above the Hifiman 601. That is another story, of course.

All the gory details: VentureCraft GoDAP in review

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 19
I'd definitely be interested in the iPhone 4 version, when it comes out. One interesting problem I see with this design would be how it would be possible to take a phone call, since the mic is on the bottom of the phone.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
I'd definitely be interested in the iPhone 4 version, when it comes out. One interesting problem I see with this design would be how it would be possible to take a phone call, since the mic is on the bottom of the phone.

There is no problem as there are holes cut out to allow one to speak into the mics.

@shigzeo: that's a great review and I concur with mostly what you have said. IMO, the best part about Go-Dap is that it eliminates the bulk associated with an amp, LOD and separate battery pack and integrates into one clean package.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 19
Yes, there are holes cut out at the bottom (something I mentioned in the review). For the price and for the hassle, this is probably the best option out there for a pleasing sound, great size, and compelling extra features. Like I said, the outright performance isn't as high as that of, say the ALO RX and an LOD, but the sound has less hiss, more pleasing midrange body, and overall, great synthesis with most earphones and headphones out there.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 19
Haha, yes, I was dead, but a new-found love for Nick Cave has brought me back to my early twenties and late teens. I am back. Anyway, Fully stand in love with this badboy. I'll update pics of how I laid down the velcro and electrician's tape to make the GoDAP useful with an iPod touch.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 19
I really dig the design as its more about function than form (yet it has achieved both in this case)
I would love to see this type of design more widespread, for example the upcoming algorythm solo would be so much better if it had similar lock in dock..just eliminates the extra cable hassle and makes it more portable..even though you will still need cables to attach an amp.
still, its much better to have one than two separate cables- esp. when you consider cables will be sticking out on either ends of the unit!!

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 19
I've got the Algorythm here and I have to agree (holy Necro!). The VentureCraft case is the ultimate design for an iPhone audiophile. All in one when done correctly is simply stunning. And the GoDAP (1st is the only one I tried) is incredible. 

I saw the new version at a store hereabouts but hadn't time to check in on it at the time. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 19
I know it's old but I thought let me give it a try..

My headphones are v-moda m-100 and the amp that I currently use is Pa2v2 which is bulkier with the ipod touch. These still retail at $45 compared to it's original price of $200.00(?), is it still worth it to buy and will it be better than Pa2v2 soundwise?

Thank you.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
I know it's old but I thought let me give it a try..

My headphones are v-moda m-100 and the amp that I currently use is Pa2v2 which is bulkier with the ipod touch. These still retail at $45 compared to it's original price of $200.00(?), is it still worth it to buy and will it be better than Pa2v2 soundwise?

Thank you.

No idea sound wise but I have a lot of good feedback on it.  Also it is $45 from VC but only $20 on Amazon, and I think $20 is worth a try especially if you have Prime 2nd day shipping.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
No idea sound wise but I have a lot of good feedback on it.  Also it is $45 from VC but only $20 on Amazon, and I think $20 is worth a try especially if you have Prime 2nd day shipping.

Ahh thanks mate, but I live in Dubai so if I buy from Amazon I pay a awful lot more for the shipping. $45 from VC includes worldwide shipping. 

Anyways, I am very confused these days on what to buy, I have too many things in my mind with a little budget - my budget is $250.00 including shipping. Lately I been looking at, Headstage arrow 3G refurbished ($150), Leckerton UH-4 ($199), Tralucent T1 ($259), JDS labs c5 ($160), etc.. I am satisfied with pa2v2 but it's bulkier so I want something sleek and decent.

Thanks for your response.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 19
Then get it from VC via Paypal.  The 3G is going to be replaced by the 4N/4T very soon, and if your budget is tight, then get the JDS Labs C5, or just save up for the 4N/4T.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Oops.. I was actually leaning towards UH4/ T1 but now you are suggesting C5. Frankly I just saw it today in the amp sale section and it fits my budget but I know nothing about it. Out of the above, C5 is sufficient for me? 

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Oops.. I was actually leaning towards UH4/ T1 but now you are suggesting C5. Frankly I just saw it today in the amp sale section and it fits my budget but I know nothing about it. Out of the above, C5 is sufficient for me? 

What are you trying to drive in what impedance (ohms)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back