Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #331 of 625
what i dont understand is that frequency graph.   are you saying that this is the graph of how they output sound, b/c that is not possible, unless I am having some serious issues. 

I'll show you what I mean.

Here is the graph for my LCD-2's rev2's with my miracle graph underneath: click to enlarge

now as you can see the lcd-2 stays level until 1k, and then starts to fall off
the miracle sems to slope downward slightly, then peak a fair bit, and then peak radically, then fall off  back to the mid point.
now given that the lcd-2 is, lets say slightly dark in the highs or maybe just fine depending on your taste, this should mean that by comarison, my miracles should be SCREAMING!!!, when in fact the miracles are darker than the lcd-2.

further, if you can see the lightly drawn line on the lcd-2 chart going from 1k-20k, this is what is considered by some audio engineers to be ideal neutral and in my experience, by using his methods to eq my lcd-2, it really works well.     what's interesting, is that when i use my same eq template that i use on my lcd-2 and apply it to the miracles, i get very similar results, which tells me that, again at least on my pair, their chart is going to be alot closer to an lcd-2 chart, and absolutely nowhere near my miracle chart.

here is another reference link - Misconception of "neutral / accurate" to help you understand where i'm coming from.

so... i'm conused.. does this prove that i'm having issues with my pair, or is that miracle chart wrong.

i'm asking all of this not only out of curiosity, but to help me understand if I am indeed having issues or not..

hopefully within a few days i will have some tools to make some measurements of my own, albeit probably a bit lower tech than most pro measurment tools.

by the way, your willingness to participate in the forums and offer assistance is MUCH appreciated.  Really.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #332 of 625
Ohh yeah. Mine is arriving soon. Will post some pics as soon as it arrives. I quote from my email with UM Malaysia:

Currently your batch is now has been shipped to UM Global HQ in Australia for inspection and distribution. So now i'm waiting for them to ship it out to me :D

So excited now!

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #334 of 625
close to 2 month here , still no email / status information, iam kinda getting annoyed. If you cant handle the  4-6 week turnaround promise , it would be somewhat clever to reduce the promos that are being launched after another ... now i have to deal with alot of troubles due to holiday vacations.

Already see me not getting my miracles this year, anyways good luck to the other ppl that are also waiting.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #335 of 625

Quote:
Ohh yeah. Mine is arriving soon. Will post some pics as soon as it arrives. I quote from my email with UM Malaysia:

Currently your batch is now has been shipped to UM Global HQ in Australia for inspection and distribution. So now i'm waiting for them to ship it out to me :D

So excited now!

Are you part of some promo?

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #337 of 625

Quote:
Yup. UM Global promo by UM Malaysia.

Nice, that might mean that the UK Promo might be getting shipped out soon also, in which case I should receive an email shortly *hint*.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #338 of 625
Haha, good luck. Thats pretty unlikely, it depends on how big your batch is cause they do batch shipment. Mine had 3 people so it was pretty fast. The US batch had around 14-20 people so it'll likely take longer. Nvm though, the wait is definitely worth it.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #339 of 625
Br777 - I see where you are going with your post, but you have to be careful about comparing graphs to one another.

It's one thing for Tyll Herstens to compare two headphones based on measurements that he himself has taken, on his own equipment. He can be reasonably sure that conditions were similar enough during each measurement to allow for comparison (though he still takes multiple measurements on each and averages them, due to unavoidable variability).

It's another thing entirely to take the two FR charts you have and use them for comparison. We don't know anything about the test conditions. Different equipment, different methodology... all sorts of differences involved. Even if we had two full size open headphones to compare, these differences would get in the way. 

Now add in the fact that we have a full size headphone being compared to an in ear model, and it gets even worse. It all comes down to the anatomy of the ear. The concha of the ear as well as the canal itself give us a boost in perception of high frequency sounds. By inserting an IEM in our ears, we are taking away those additive properties. That extra flare you see in the high frequency region is there for a reason: to make up for the loss of that boost. You see this flare in the highs not only from UM but also JH, Westone, 1964 Ears, and a bunch of others. Obviously each company will do different tuning based on their interpretation of what sounds best - the amount of boost, and the range of the boost, will be different for each one. 

So the answer is no, your chart is not wrong. It is just not the proper tool to use i order to compare with your LCD-2. Unfortunately I don't have a good alternative to suggest either - even the measurement gods like Tyll and Purrin don't have a good way of handling custom IEMs (unless something has changed and I'm not aware). 

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #340 of 625

Quote:
Nice, that might mean that the UK Promo might be getting shipped out soon also, in which case I should receive an email shortly *hint*.

May i ask when you ordered / send your impressions in just out of interest ? also are they only sending the IEMs out in batches and not when they are done ? that would suck

wish i could just cancel my order , add a dollar and get some LCD2s instead.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #341 of 625

Quote:
Br777 - I see where you are going with your post, but you have to be careful about comparing graphs to one another.

It's one thing for Tyll Herstens to compare two headphones based on measurements that he himself has taken, on his own equipment. He can be reasonably sure that conditions were similar enough during each measurement to allow for comparison (though he still takes multiple measurements on each and averages them, due to unavoidable variability).

It's another thing entirely to take the two FR charts you have and use them for comparison. We don't know anything about the test conditions. Different equipment, different methodology... all sorts of differences involved. Even if we had two full size open headphones to compare, these differences would get in the way. 

Now add in the fact that we have a full size headphone being compared to an in ear model, and it gets even worse. It all comes down to the anatomy of the ear. The concha of the ear as well as the canal itself give us a boost in perception of high frequency sounds. By inserting an IEM in our ears, we are taking away those additive properties. That extra flare you see in the high frequency region is there for a reason: to make up for the loss of that boost. You see this flare in the highs not only from UM but also JH, Westone, 1964 Ears, and a bunch of others. Obviously each company will do different tuning based on their interpretation of what sounds best - the amount of boost, and the range of the boost, will be different for each one. 

So the answer is no, your chart is not wrong. It is just not the proper tool to use i order to compare with your LCD-2. Unfortunately I don't have a good alternative to suggest either - even the measurement gods like Tyll and Purrin don't have a good way of handling custom IEMs (unless something has changed and I'm not aware). 

i see.. thanks

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #342 of 625

Quote:
May i ask when you ordered / send your impressions in just out of interest ? also are they only sending the IEMs out in batches and not when they are done ? that would suck

wish i could just cancel my order , add a dollar and get some LCD2s instead.

Payed 10/14 and shipped my impressions 10/18. I have a feeling that they will ship all or atleast almost all UK Promo orders in one batch to UK and then to their respective owners from there.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #343 of 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...The concha of the ear as well as the canal itself give us a boost in perception of high frequency sounds. By inserting an IEM in our ears, we are taking away those additive properties. That extra flare you see in the high frequency region is there for a reason: to make up for the loss of that boost. You see this flare in the highs not only from UM but also JH, Westone, 1964 Ears, and a bunch of others.

That's an interesting perspective, and one I hadn't previously considered, thankyou.

It certainly sheds at least a little light on my ramblings, a few weeks back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/524282/review-unique-melody-miracle-6-driver-custom-iem/210#post_7897197

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #344 of 625
Quote:
what i dont understand is that frequency graph.   are you saying that this is the graph of how they output sound, b/c that is not possible, unless I am having some serious issues. 

I'll show you what I mean.

Here is the graph for my LCD-2's rev2's with my miracle graph underneath: click to enlarge

now as you can see the lcd-2 stays level until 1k, and then starts to fall off
the miracle sems to slope downward slightly, then peak a fair bit, and then peak radically, then fall off  back to the mid point.
now given that the lcd-2 is, lets say slightly dark in the highs or maybe just fine depending on your taste, this should mean that by comarison, my miracles should be SCREAMING!!!, when in fact the miracles are darker than the lcd-2.

Quote:

Quote:
i see.. thanks

While I agree that a comparison with the LCD-2 graph is problematic, there's no way the Miracles should sound dark to anyone with that kind of frequency response, even if you take into consideration that they're custom IEMs. That's a 10-15db boost in the high mids/lower treble region over bass and lower mids and that doesn't seem to be consistent at all with Br777's listening impressions. jm2c.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #345 of 625
well, after days, and days and days of eq'ing its interesting to note that relatively speaking my settings for my lcd-2 - using lunatiques process mentioned earlier, and for my miracles, going by ear and using my eq'd lcd2-s as a reference, the two settings actually look pretty similar...

all in all, I am finally warming up to my miracles, but definitely not without eq.. but thats just me, and iv'e never heard a headphone that i didnt feel the need to eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back