[Review] UM Merlin, FS MG6Pro, AKG K3003
Apr 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #106 of 243
You may remember I'm pretty sceptical when it comes to the whole issue of burn-in, though I still always give all my IEMs 5-10 hrs' burn-in, both BAs or DDs, but, I'm curious, how many hours' burn-in + actual listening time have you given your new customs? Like Isaid, it's not that I believe in any sonic changes after burn-in, but I do know some may tell you you still need X number of hours on your MG6Pros, specially since this is a DD-based IEM.

Before sending them back this last time, I had approximately 146 hours on them. That includes 24 before the last refit. I'm not sure how much is listening time but I've used them almost exclusively since I last received them, so I've accumulated quite a bit in listening hours. During these hours I've not heard any changes to the signature.

Most definitely it would be more frustrating dealing with an overseas company if/when issues arise due to shipping costs and time durations without them. FS being a couple of days by mail, plus the superb communication makes the wait easier. Luckily the Merlin was perfect the first time and I didn't have to deal with the international shipping frustrations.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my reviews.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #107 of 243
In my case I heard a lot of change in the sound from the MG6pros. Week after week I heard a change and it was a big improvement.
Quote:
Before sending them back this last time, I had approximately 146 hours on them. That includes 24 before the last refit. I'm not sure how much is listening time but I've used them almost exclusively since I last received them, so I've accumulated quite a bit in listening hours. During these hours I've not heard any changes to the signature.
Most definitely it would be more frustrating dealing with an overseas company if/when issues arise due to shipping costs and time durations without them. FS being a couple of days by mail, plus the superb communication makes the wait easier. Luckily the Merlin was perfect the first time and I didn't have to deal with the international shipping frustrations.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #108 of 243
I am not sure whats going on with your pair but I do believe your pair has not been burned in. Mine did not sound as good as they do now the first month. I was told they will change again within 3 months from the day I got them.
Quote:
I thought I'd fill in those interested with the latest on my MG6Pros experience.
I have returned them to Future Sonics again. However this time it isn't about fit, which is now quite good. Rather it is for them to investigate some harshness and echoey type effect I'm getting in the 2k and 3.6k ranges.
They've confirmed with me that they do have some frequency peaks in this area to balance out with the bass response but no one has ever described to them what I'm hearing.  Basically it makes them pretty fatiguing and in some cases painful to listen to some music - tops of vocals and guitars have a harsh/echoey effect and lower registers of cymbals can blur together, producing a kind of ringing.
At this point they're not real sure what the issue could be causing it but both the owner and the techs will be checking it out, along with some songs I specified and descriptions of what I hear in those songs. To say the experience so far has been frustrating is an understatement. However it is made a little easier to get through with the friendly, patient and quick responses from David at Future Sonics.
All of this is the main reason why I've yet to give any initial impressions. I wanted to better understand why and what I was hearing. However I feel that it is important to share the details of the entire experience, so that potential buyers of any CIEM can read about the potential ups and downs of going custom.
What I can tell you about the signature of the MG6pro is this- it has a great sense and feeling of power unlike anything I've heard in an IEM before. It really moves a lot of air for an in ear monitor. This description is from another head-fier but perfectly describes the power, bass and air movement of the MG6Pro: Most IEMs reproduce the sound of bass, rather than produce bass itself. The MG6Pro produces bass. It's an exciting and very addictive trait.
Hopefully Future Sonics can get to the bottom of my issue quickly and I can begin enjoying them and giving you all some good comparisons with the Merlin. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #109 of 243
What vent did you burn them in? I used the biggest vent so the driver would be able to move more but it took over a month for them to change.
Quote:

May 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #112 of 243
Quote:
I haven't had the opportunity to hear any JHA CIEM's, so I can't help you there.

Hows it all going shotgunshane?? Any updates yet?

May 10, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #115 of 243
Good news. Did they tell you anything about fixing the problem? Was it a damaged driver or something?

May 10, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #116 of 243
They didn't really go into too much detail. I'm not sure they were able to hear what I was hearing but none-the-less they decided that rebuilding them and replacing the existing drivers with new drivers was the best option. Hopefully it all works out!

May 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #117 of 243
Quote:
They didn't really go into too much detail. I'm not sure they were able to hear what I was hearing but none-the-less they decided that rebuilding them and replacing the existing drivers with new drivers was the best option. Hopefully it all works out!

Hopefully. Sounds like excellent customer service.

May 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #119 of 243
Expensive at the moment but in the long run it wont be. Many go the long route, buying many soso not expensive models for years that adds up to more than one custom earphone and end up still not satisfied. Well why not save and go right at its throat?
Quote:
I really want it, but its too expensive.

May 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #120 of 243
+1 Go for the gold!, It'll be worth it in the longrun, and no more upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back