[Review] UM Merlin, FS MG6Pro, AKG K3003
Apr 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #91 of 243

Quote:
Yes, I didn't mention the option of not using a vent insert.

No, there are 4 vent options, not using an LVF insert at all would be a (non-recommended for several reasons) fifth.

Edit: Turns out FS is moving to 3 vent options as the 4th-closed vent option didn't allow full driver-diaphragm movement.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #94 of 243
Id like to see this compared to something like a JH-16...

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #96 of 243
Awesome, can't wait to hear how it stacks up to the Merlin

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #99 of 243
Ah, I see. Yes, there are four vent options. Usually one is on the MG6Pro already. You should have a full set from new MG6Pro, then another set from your first refit (it may not be a full set with refits) and a third set of vents from your second refit. You didn't actually send back unused vents when you sent the earpieces in for a refit, did you?

You can email david about it and also ask for a second set of vents in addition.
The fact they come like this is a tipoff that there are four options, even if not all are there.

They no longer supply the 4th sealed vent option. The techs have observed it doesn't allow proper air flow. There are now only 3 vent insert options.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #100 of 243

Quote:
That's compared to a universal fit demo though.

I agree, universals are not an accurate example of a true custom fit. I have the JH16's and pending this review, I'm going to move on the Merlin or MG6pro. I'll be sure to post my results.

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #102 of 243
I thought I'd fill in those interested with the latest on my MG6Pros experience.

I have returned them to Future Sonics again. However this time it isn't about fit, which is now quite good. Rather it is for them to investigate some harshness and echoey type effect I'm getting in the 2k and 3.6k ranges.

They've confirmed with me that they do have some frequency peaks in this area to balance out with the bass response but no one has ever described to them what I'm hearing.  Basically it makes them pretty fatiguing and in some cases painful to listen to some music - tops of vocals and guitars have a harsh/echoey effect and lower registers of cymbals can blur together, producing a kind of ringing.

At this point they're not real sure what the issue could be causing it but both the owner and the techs will be checking it out, along with some songs I specified and descriptions of what I hear in those songs. To say the experience so far has been frustrating is an understatement. However it is made a little easier to get through with the friendly, patient and quick responses from David at Future Sonics.

All of this is the main reason why I've yet to give any initial impressions. I wanted to better understand why and what I was hearing. However I feel that it is important to share the details of the entire experience, so that potential buyers of any CIEM can read about the potential ups and downs of going custom.

What I can tell you about the signature of the MG6pro is this- it has a great sense and feeling of power unlike anything I've heard in an IEM before. It really moves a lot of air for an in ear monitor. This description is from another head-fier but perfectly describes the power, bass and air movement of the MG6Pro: Most IEMs reproduce the sound of bass, rather than produce bass itself. The MG6Pro produces bass. It's an exciting and very addictive trait.

Hopefully Future Sonics can get to the bottom of my issue quickly and I can begin enjoying them and giving you all some good comparisons with the Merlin. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #104 of 243

Quote:
and guitars have a harsh/echoey effect and lower registers of cymbals can blur together, producing a kind of ringing

I hear something similar with the Atrios. And because of that I was afraid of going the customs route. Almost thought I was the only one...

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #105 of 243
Thanks for your honest on-going impressions and latest update -- I'd been wondering what'd happened to your MG6Pros. Unfortunately, it's much more common for happy customers to rave over their customs and post much more than those unsatisfied customers who often find it (too) hard to express how they hear things or talk about their whole customs experience; they very often, sadly, either say nothing at all, or write a single post or two at most. This is even more the case when HF'ers find they want / have to sell their custom sets and, for obvious reasons, will not tell the whole story.

Although I think it's unlikely FS will manage to improve the sonics on your MG6Pros --sorry, but I don't mean to be too pessimistic-- I do hope there really is something they can do about it.

You may remember I'm pretty sceptical when it comes to the whole issue of burn-in, though I still always give all my IEMs 5-10 hrs' burn-in, both BAs or DDs, but, I'm curious, how many hours' burn-in + actual listening time have you given your new customs? Like Isaid, it's not that I believe in any sonic changes after burn-in, but I do know some may tell you you still need X number of hours on your MG6Pros, specially since this is a DD-based IEM.

You may know this already, but I recently got myself a pair of Atrios M5 (with MG7 driver) and was very pleasantly surprised to hear the excellent SQ these deliver, and though you may also know I'm not in the market for a second set of customs, the MG6Pros would've been on top of my list along with the Westone's ES5 -- unfortunately, the Merlins, which I'd also consider, specially after getting my K3003s, would not be on that list for the simple reason that I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen happening with UM's CS in the last 5-6 months, plus the added looooooong waiting & shipping times in case of re-fits or other issues that have always been reported (in the case of my ES3X I had to have three re-fits, ie 4 sets!, much like you now, BTW, but at least Westone were always very responsive, and shipped every set within a week after they got my faulty set, but I will NOT deny that my whole customs experience was very, VERY frustrating.

Your comments on the MG6Pro's bass are really very interesting (thanks for not being a fanboy!). I wonder if, at the end of the day, getting it 'right' may ultimately be some sort of limitation of dynamic drivers, much like the limitations of BA drivers, in my view -- at least in the case of IEMs: the EX1000 is by far the best DD IEM I've heard (definitely more sophisticated than the Atrios, but the latter is very good, and a better all-rounder), though the Sonys could be merciless with poor recordings and very impressive with good recordings / (re)masters, and their mids, though quite good, ultimately could not match the ES3X's (and UM3X's) or K3003's, to these ears, that is. Having heard the Atrios & K3003s, more bass would kill my ears, or kill a lot of the music I listen to, though I have to say the AKG's bass is really in different league to that of the Atrios. BTW, I know when you spoke earlier of the MG6Pro's bass, you were not just talking about bass quantity; I wonder if the different vent options would ultimately work for me. But, like I said, I'm glad I'm not looking for a new set of customs.

Anyway, I hope that at this stage --seeing that it's no longer a fit issue-- it's something that FS can deal with and improve upon, specially after having spent over $1,000 on an IEM. Of course there's always the possibility that the MG6Pro signature is ultimately not your cup of tea.

Look forward to further updates, I really enjoyed your Merlin review and your short, but very concise UM3X review.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back