REVIEW: Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro & Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft
Jun 23, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #196 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
I have spoken with Jerry, he seems like a nice person. You know him better, fine.

Don't take this personally, but to have third parties perform measurements/testing is common practice. It removes the question of what if... Also, most third parties performing measurements/testing are often accredited and well known in the industry.

As I previously said I agree that third party testing is best but when I asked for quick results I knew I could get them. If the results were the reverse I would have shown them too. These are real world using two older sets of IEM's. I submitted them for the forum to discuss in any way you want. I thought it made for good discussion one way or the other.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #197 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Is this the way of head-fi now, that reasonable discussion is marginalized and replaced with name calling and all-out wars? Dotslash had a legitimate question and he's called a twit. And the ones that do the attacks seem to be revered and their opinions even appreciated. I really don't understand why this kind of behavior is being encouraged by the community.

There's still mostly reasonable discussion going on in this thread, but for how long? The attack-dogs have already moved in anyway, and it makes reasonable discussion rather impossible.

So please, if you have nothing better to say than to tell someone to drop dead, or to brag about how above us you are or to call names, then please follow your mother's advice and don't say anything at all.

And no I'm not a mod, but what's wrong with trying to keep things nice? Is it such an impossible concept to understand? Is it so difficult to try to be civil or must the attack-dogs always be out for blood?

Back to discussion on the headphones, please.

The only "anti-UE" comments Lindrone made were due to talks with his audiologist and interviews with users. He also got to see some seriously flawed products. It's not as perfect as owning them, but it's as educated a guess as you can possibly make. And he made no mis-representations. He told the story and he even mentioned it again in this thread. I can only guess HRA didn't read it.

As far as name calling is concerned, YOU need to read this thread. The person in question referred to me as Troll and a liar. When you write slanted comments have your facts straight. I'm not here to win a popularity contest with you or anyone else. It's your choice whether you like me or not. Most of the people here including Lindrone are nice people, even if I disagree with them. When someone refers to me as a liar and a troll I take exception. If you don't like that.....tough. My only position here to try and help those few people that are really interested in investing in high end IEM's to make the right decision based on fact and intelligent reviews. I have nothing against the Sensa company and hope that they continue to thrive. But in my professional opinion the UE productline is currently superior. That is my view and the views of my contemporaries in the rock music business. They may mean nothing to your audiophiles out there, but I'm trying to guide everyone the best I can. I have insight into the operation of UE that few have. I know of future products, plans, etc. I can tell you that they have products in the works that no one else has. More importantly, their products are high quality, durable, and last a long time in a pro environment which isn't always very friendly to equipment. Ultimately it is up to you as to what you purchase. I am also a bit brash which must be a part of getting up there in years....so please forgive me.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #198 of 271
Quote:

Back to discussion on the headphones, please.

We are talking about headphones. Please do so as well instead of driving your police car around this town. I am sick of this.

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #199 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Exactly
cool.gif

Where is Headroom when you need them?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Besides - when you test these IEM's you have to recreate the ear with the microphone placed exactly where your ear drum will be. The frequency response will be different for different people...

Sorry - I place about 0 importance on frequency charts of any kind...by anyone...

its a reference but its not the holy bible.

If you look at the frequency chart of the R-10 it is a horrible headphone
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif

Frequency charts do help, but they do not draw the whole picture. I would not give them zero importance. There are things like soundstage that are not shown in the freq response charts. I remember seeing the freq response of the R10 on head-fi. First of all, those charts were made assuming that the HD580 was flat and everything was referenced to the response of the HD580. This is hardly an acceptable way of coming up with freq response plots. If performed properly, the charts should reflect accurately the response of the headphone and should provide you with information you can use to apply equalization, etc.

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #200 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
But in my professional opinion the UE productline is currently superior. That is my view and the views of my contemporaries in the rock music business ... I have insight into the operation of UE that few have. I know of future products, plans, etc. I can tell you that they have products in the works that no one else has ... I am also a bit brash which must be a part of getting up there in years....so please forgive me.

Hrm... Geography for 600 is tempting, but instead I'll go with "Cockiest People of the Century" for 1000, Alex. Is it possible this guy is just trying to be funny? It seems like he's just intentionally saying the most inflamatory things he can think of. Anyone else get that feeling?

And no, I won't forgive anything. You're making bold, unjustifiable, inflamatory remarks for no reason whatsoever. You continue to post abrasive remarks without adding to the content of the discussion. You attack members of the community, speculate about products you don't fully understand, and try to write off your incoherent ramblings as substantive material from a "professional". You offer no proof of your claims, yet continue to state your opinion as fact. If you honestly expect people to take your word as that of a pro after you've spent the majority of your posts on this thread slinging mud at those individuals with whom you disagree, it'd behoove you to do a reality check.

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #201 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotslashconfig
Hrm... Geography for 600 is tempting, but instead I'll go with "Cockiest People of the Century" for 1000, Alex. Is it possible this guy is just trying to be funny? It seems like he's just intentionally saying the most inflamatory things he can think of. Anyone else get that feeling?

And no, I won't forgive anything. You're making bold, unjustifiable, inflamatory remarks for no reason whatsoever. You continue to post abrasive remarks without adding to the content of the discussion. You attack members of the community, speculate about products you don't fully understand, and try to write off your incoherent ramblings as substantive material from a "professional". You offer no proof of your claims, yet continue to state your opinion as fact. If you honestly expect people to take your word as that of a pro after you've spent the majority of your posts on this thread slinging mud at those individuals with whom you disagree, it'd behoove you to do a reality check.

Dothead,

I'm not asking for your forgiveness, don't want it, don't need it. You attacked me by calling me a liar and a troll so why don't you go your way and I'll go mine. And you are right, I am cocky
280smile.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #202 of 271
Guys...relax ok!

Nobody here prospers by forwading the UE or Sensa agenda. Most people here will never bother owning them anyway...no need to fight like a bunch of twits (that word again
tongue.gif
its a UK exclusive
k1000smile.gif
).

PLEASE - Lindrone and HRA both make good points and bad points. Lindrone and HRA should now **** and let others make their inferences. Things are getting repetitive here...stop before this thread is closed so that the normal discussions can go on.

./cfg and the others who have nothing more valuable to add but are just trying to prove a point - STOP. No need to prove your point by using the forums valuable resources. I am sure that the other members and me included will appreciate your efforts more if they are directed towards something constructive.

As far as I am concerned - UE and Sensa dont give a rats ass about what you fine folks are saying here...probably LOLling about our stupidity
biggrin.gif

Anyway - relax and remember that we are here to share and have fun. If you cannot be civil then...well...twit twit twit twit
eggosmile.gif

LOL

cmon people...have a laugh and get on with it

(gsferrari becomes repetitive and punishes himself)

Bad dog bad dog!!!
mad.gif

Dog.jpg

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #203 of 271
GSferrari,

You're pretty funny....I agree that all the bickering serves no purpose. The UE people really do care what you are saying. The personal listening device market is far larger than the pro market so for their future growth they better stay in tune with what all of you want.

Night to all...

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #204 of 271
Whoa, I was busy at work for a few hours and see what happens here..

For the record, yes, HRA is correct, I did publicly speak out against UE products for those reasons I stated before (material of the drivers) I had them on iPodlounge, turned into a huge thread of me and HRA arguing back and forth.

It was also answered earlier in this thread that HRA's account of the event wasn't entirely accurate, he had a more general memory of what I said, I had specific memory
wink.gif
So those reasons for which I spoke out first against the UE products are still valid.

I do think UE-10 is a great sounding headphone, especially for monitoring purposes even more than music listening purposes. If I never had the Sensa, and only had UE-10, I would be more than happy as well. However, the reasons I had chose Sensa instead of UE in the first place, namely material in which the headphones were made from, and my disbelief that the third driver can add that much more advantage, both still stand true now that I have both of them side by side.

Nevertheless, HRA is correct that we had an argument on iPodlounge, and that thread does exists somewhere out there. I'm too tired to go dig it up.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #205 of 271
The thread was already dug up and posted for all to see. I honestly think it was a decent argument as long as it was the two of you arguing with each other. Its when everybody else jumps in with "medium-rare" ideas and opinions that the real problem begins.

We dont need any repetition of the ipodlounge arguments here. We (I speak for the sensible Headfiers of the forums) know Lindrone's opinion and HRA's opinion and the opinions of those who own and enjoy these headphones.

Simply put - Sonic evaluations are so close between them that both are obviously excellent choices.

For those looking into this thread for inspiration and a guide towards where you want to spend your money. Dont forget to read the other reviews as well.

Remember that you can ask for a generic earplug so that you can "audition" the headphones before you decide. PUSH the manufacturer for this...tell them you want to try before you buy - it is your right!
eek.gif

Finally - I am sure everyone here is educated enough to be civil. I have slipped several times in the past and no doubt - I will slip again in the future without knowing it. I will appreciate it very much if you will all help keep things in order without losing your heads. We are not siblings and our arguments here serve no greater purpose except burden the forums with tons of nonsense.

Shall we all have a collective cold Beer ??
cool.gif

I choose Coors lite
eggosmile.gif

[gsferrari waits in silence for the fight to ensue about which lite beer is the best]

*fight*

[gsferrari sighs in satisfaction that his entire post was a waste...but the beer is still good...still cold...life is awesome]

k1000smile.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:34 AM Post #206 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
For the record, yes, HRA is correct, I did publicly speak out against UE products for those reasons I stated before (material of the drivers) I had them on iPodlounge, turned into a huge thread of me and HRA arguing back and forth.

All this 'HRA has no proof that lindrone bashed the UE products...'

Haha, time for some of you to get reading glasses...or go back to school and learn to read.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #207 of 271
The problem with this thread and threads like it for me any, is that I am approaching it from a different view than most or many of you. I look at these IEM's as professional devices needed to accomplish a life performance or recording session. Here everyone is looking for personal listening pleasure. On the pro level we need to hear exactly what is being played, no frills. On the consumer site we want entertainment and the best listening experience possible.

While I tend to look at IEM's for pro use only I realize that they are going through a dramatic transition to fit in with the consumer market while maintaining their pro business. As a result you will see other products coming out specific for the consumer market, like the UE-5c. You'll see better ones in the coming year at less expensive prices. These are the products that are aimed at you...the consumer and audiophile.

I will try and take a backseat to future discussions I seem to approach this topic from a "different" place than everyone else. In short, the Sensa 2X and the UE 10's are high end pro products that are finding a way into the consumer market where they may not belong. In the pro market I still feel that UE has the edge...just my opinion. Personally I currently use the UE10 for personal use as they fit me like a fine glove and I'm very used to exacting sound. By contrast my wife likes the 5c better and my kids like the Shure e5's better....go figure.

Later mates....

P.S. Thanks to Lindrone and DJ.....

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #208 of 271
That would be because you are a troll and a liar, and your opinions hold no weight at all until you can talk about how they _sound_.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
As far as name calling is concerned, YOU need to read this thread. The person in question referred to me as Troll and a liar. When you write slanted comments have your facts straight. I'm not here to win a popularity contest with you or anyone else. It's your choice whether you like me or not. Most of the people here including Lindrone are nice people, even if I disagree with them. When someone refers to me as a liar and a troll I take exception. If you don't like that.....tough. My only position here to try and help those few people that are really interested in investing in high end IEM's to make the right decision based on fact and intelligent reviews. I have nothing against the Sensa company and hope that they continue to thrive. But in my professional opinion the UE productline is currently superior. That is my view and the views of my contemporaries in the rock music business. They may mean nothing to your audiophiles out there, but I'm trying to guide everyone the best I can. I have insight into the operation of UE that few have. I know of future products, plans, etc. I can tell you that they have products in the works that no one else has. More importantly, their products are high quality, durable, and last a long time in a pro environment which isn't always very friendly to equipment. Ultimately it is up to you as to what you purchase. I am also a bit brash which must be a part of getting up there in years....so please forgive me.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #209 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
The problem with this thread and threads like it for me any, is that I am approaching it from a different view than most or many of you. I look at these IEM's as professional devices needed to accomplish a life performance or recording session. Here everyone is looking for personal listening pleasure. On the pro level we need to hear exactly what is being played, no frills. On the consumer site we want entertainment and the best listening experience possible.

While I tend to look at IEM's for pro use only I realize that they are going through a dramatic transition to fit in with the consumer market while maintaining their pro business. As a result you will see other products coming out specific for the consumer market, like the UE-5c. You'll see better ones in the coming year at less expensive prices. These are the products that are aimed at you...the consumer and audiophile.

I will try and take a backseat to future discussions I seem to approach this topic from a "different" place than everyone else. In short, the Sensa 2X and the UE 10's are high end pro products that are finding a way into the consumer market where they may not belong. In the pro market I still feel that UE has the edge...just my opinion. Personally I currently use the UE10 for personal use as they fit me like a fine glove and I'm very used to exacting sound. By contrast my wife likes the 5c better and my kids like the Shure e5's better....go figure.

Later mates....

P.S. Thanks to Lindrone and DJ.....

Thanks Mr HRA, from the consumer market perspepctive, would you say that it makes sense to amp a UE-10 Pro ?

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #210 of 271
Quote:

That would be because you are a troll and a liar, and your opinions hold no weight at all until you can talk about how they _sound_.

Plainsong I think you are way out of order and i have contacted the mods about this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back