REVIEW: Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro & Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft
Jun 22, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #181 of 271
I want to know what Lindrone thinks of these two phones, and why. Both now, and as he uses them more over time. And that's exactly what I've been getting. Thank you, Lindrone! You are a class act.

I want to read others' opinions in their own threads as well. I think few people here, if any, have an agenda to malign the product of any specific company. They often try to justify their buying decisions, but it's easy to read into posts and figure that out. It's not hard, either, to figure out when someone is trying to defend their friend's company on the basis of friendship.

We can get better headphone information by being critical readers of these forums than we can from any other source except our own experience (and we need something to go on before we buy, considering it's very hard to listen to this stuff in advance). Head-Fi is a great place!

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #182 of 271
Anyone have a source for the frequency response charts?

Also, I'm still waiting on HRA to provide me with links to the topics where Lindrone "bashed" the UE-10. I'm assuming that since he hasn't produced them, they don't exist. I suppose that's a casual reminder to take everything with a grain of salt, unless substantial evidence can be provided.

Just a friendly reminder to folks who like to troll this forum: Any and all outlandish claims will be promptly laughed at.</public service announcement>

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #183 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotslashconfig

Also, I'm still waiting on HRA to provide me with links to the topics where Lindrone "bashed" the UE-10. I'm assuming that since he hasn't produced them, they don't exist. I suppose that's a casual reminder to take everything with a grain of salt, unless substantial evidence can be provided.

Just a friendly reminder to folks who like to troll this forum: Any and all outlandish claims will be promptly laughed at.</public service announcement>

actually yes, to post a freq response plot without a reference is pretty lame. What equipment was used? How was the test performed? Can it be repeated by someone else and get the same results?

Not enough information. I would not instantly consider the freq response of either earphones to be correct.

You do that in school and you get an 'F'

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #184 of 271
Quote:

The UE-10 frequency chart looks very similar and consistent with the one on the Ultimate Ears website.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #185 of 271
Quote:

I normally don't have time for insignificant twits such as you but it has been documented on this site and on ipodlounge.com that Lindrone did not like the UE product line before he even had one in his hand. He even admits this himself and the two of us had previous discussions about it. Don't fault me for your inability to use the search function or laziness to be resourceful. Although I guess I shouldn't expect any better given the source.

As far as the chart is concerned it was made yesterday at UE's lab in Las Vegas as they have all competing brands of IEM's there to test against any of their own. In this case the two pair tested were both used and owned by someone in the lab. Any other juvenille questions or comments?

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #186 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
actually yes, to post a freq response plot without a reference is pretty lame. What equipment was used? How was the test performed? Can it be repeated by someone else and get the same results?

Not enough information. I would not instantly consider the freq response of either earphones to be correct.

You do that in school and you get an 'F'

Sorry about that mate. My assistant forgot to post the source when she uploaded it to D. Of course it should be there...

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #187 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
As far as the chart is concerned it was made yesterday at UE's lab in Las Vegas as they have all competing brands of IEM's there to test against any of their own. In this case the two pair tested were both used and owned by someone in the lab. Any other juvenille questions or comments?

It is fine if UE does its own testing as part of product development and R&D. That chart is okay, but not official material.

To come up with credible charts, a third party should do the tests following some industry established standards for performing those frequency response measurements.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #188 of 271
Great review lindrone! You're gonna get me to buy one of these IEM yet.
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #189 of 271
Quote:

It is fine if UE does its own testing as part of product development and R&D. That chart is okay, but not official material.

To come up with credible charts, a third party should do the tests following some industry established standards for performing those frequency response measurements.

I do not disagree with you on the testing but no one else has the same setup as does UE. For all those doubters out there I can not do anything to ease your minds. I know Jerry personally and he is not anywhere near as close to the type of person that would fudge any results. He would be the first to say his product was not as good as the competition...then he would find a way to make it better. If anyone truly doubts any aspect of UE I suggest you get on a plane and go to Vegas and see for yourself. Plane tickets are cheap to go there.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #190 of 271
Quote:

Exactly
cool.gif

Where is Headroom when you need them?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Besides - when you test these IEM's you have to recreate the ear with the microphone placed exactly where your ear drum will be. The frequency response will be different for different people...

Sorry - I place about 0 importance on frequency charts of any kind...by anyone...

its a reference but its not the holy bible.

If you look at the frequency chart of the R-10 it is a horrible headphone
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #191 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
I do not disagree with you on the testing but no one else has the same setup as does UE. For all those doubters out there I can not do anything to ease your minds. I know Jerry personally and he is not anywhere near as close to the type of person that would fudge any results. He would be the first to say his product was not as good as the competition...then he would find a way to make it better. If anyone truly doubts any aspect of UE I suggest you get on a plane and go to Vegas and see for yourself. Plane tickets are cheap to go there.

I have spoken with Jerry, he seems like a nice person. You know him better, fine.

Don't take this personally, but to have third parties perform measurements/testing is common practice. It removes the question of what if... Also, most third parties performing measurements/testing are often accredited and well known in the industry.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #192 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
it has been documented on this site and on ipodlounge.com that Lindrone did not like the UE product line before he even had one in his hand.

Provide a LINK to these statements. If you *can't* (which I suspect is the case), those claims are only allegations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
use the search function

The burden of proof is on YOU, not me. The *accuser* is the person who is required to provide proof of a claim. Since you can't *prove* that Lindrone made these anti-UE statements, you look like a fool trying to get revenge against Lindrone. Furthermore, if those statements are shown to be fabricated (which I suspect is also the case), that's libel.

And what's with all of the personal attacks, both on me and on Lindrone? Do you feel you have to resort to such lengths to garner attention? You have yet to conclusively prove that any anti-UE statements were made, or that the chart you produced is real. I'd urge you to discontinue this practice, as it adds NOTHING to the discussion.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #193 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
I normally don't have time for insignificant twits such as you but it has been documented on this site and on ipodlounge.com that Lindrone did not like the UE product line before he even had one in his hand. He even admits this himself and the two of us had previous discussions about it. Don't fault me for your inability to use the search function or laziness to be resourceful. Although I guess I shouldn't expect any better given the source.

[Bold added by poster]

I'm sorry, HRA, but you don't seem to be making yourself any friends here as far as I can see. Your pot shots at people who call what you say into question really doesn't look good... You just don't seem to be able to accept that other people may have different opinions from your own.

Thankyou though for providing the source for your graphs. Makes them much more useful.

On another note, Lindrone - thanks for the great review... we all (or most of us) appreciate the time (and money) you've spent providing us with this great reference.
cool.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #194 of 271
Is this the way of head-fi now, that reasonable discussion is marginalized and replaced with name calling and all-out wars? Dotslash had a legitimate question and he's called a twit. And the ones that do the attacks seem to be revered and their opinions even appreciated. I really don't understand why this kind of behavior is being encouraged by the community.

There's still mostly reasonable discussion going on in this thread, but for how long? The attack-dogs have already moved in anyway, and it makes reasonable discussion rather impossible.

So please, if you have nothing better to say than to tell someone to drop dead, or to brag about how above us you are or to call names, then please follow your mother's advice and don't say anything at all.

And no I'm not a mod, but what's wrong with trying to keep things nice? Is it such an impossible concept to understand? Is it so difficult to try to be civil or must the attack-dogs always be out for blood?

Back to discussion on the headphones, please.

The only "anti-UE" comments Lindrone made were due to talks with his audiologist and interviews with users. He also got to see some seriously flawed products. It's not as perfect as owning them, but it's as educated a guess as you can possibly make. And he made no mis-representations. He told the story and he even mentioned it again in this thread. I can only guess HRA didn't read it.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #195 of 271

Users who are viewing this thread

Back