REVIEW: Travagans "Green", "Red" and "White" with "Colors" thrown in for good measure. Update: Travagans Black
Jun 7, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #61 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, look at my photo of the Red in Post #2, where I have the TWO single channel opamps on a 2:1 adapter.

I prefaced the opamp rolling section of my review by saying that I could not fit a 2:1 adapter in the White, so I would try it in the Red. I guess I wasn't clear enough that the OPA627, AD797, and AD743 are all single channel opamps and must be used in pairs (on adapter).

I received a couple of 2:1 adapters from an eBayer in Hong Kong this weekend and finally fitted the AD743s in the Red.

This should be the final opamp change that I will do as I'm now very happy with the sound from the amplifier.

Also many thanks for the tip to use forceps to aid opamp removal, I have been undergoing a course of medical treatment at my local hospital and one of the numerous side-effects is that a certain amount of dexterity is lost in the hands which meant I struggled with the opamp removal.

A local electronics store provided me with a set of 250mm straight and curved forceps and they have proved invaluable.

Harryo

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #63 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew jc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Harryo what headphones are you using?

I am using AKG K240S (55 ohms) headphones with the circular foam pads removed, also waiting for a guy in Hong Kong to make me a special headphone cable.

As the headphones use a mini-XLR connector swopping cables is simple.

For trying the different opamps my set-up is a Pure Sonus 1xt DAB receiver using an optical cable to an Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DAC, RCA cables between DAC and Travagan Red.

Harryo

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #64 of 185
Well, at this point I am in love with my Red for driving Electrostatic headphones via a speaker terminal transformer, as much as I am with Red's ability to eek out as much performance from my Edition 9 as possible. In my original review I tried the Travagans pushing an Stax SRD-7SB normal bias transformer, to drive my SR-Lambda and SR-5NB gold edition. The results were very good, and that was with the stock opamp.

I recently got an SRD-7 Pro for running my high bias (pro bias) electrostatic headphones off a speaker amp, and hooked this up to the Travagans Red. I first tried my SR-Lambda Signature and SR-003, and they sounded very good, as good or better than with my dedicated Stax SRM-1 Mk2 Pro amp.

Today my Sennheiser HE60 baby orpheus arrived, and I tried them with my NuForce Icon speaker amp first. But then I reconnected the Travagans Red to the SRD-7 Pro transformer and the Red really does make the HE60 sing. It's just so clear and transparent and open that I am blown away. The Nuforce has bit more bass with the HE60, which are known to be bass light, but the bass is still acceptable with either speaker amp. The Red is not as forward in the mids, but I am pretty sure that if I put the AD797 back in the Red, it will become more forward and more bassy like the NuForce Icon. (But AD797 wasn't as good with the Edition 9).

When driving dynamic headphones, I think the Red is still better than the NuForce, although the NuForce Icon is not burned-in yet. I don't expect the 1/8" headphone out to beat the Red but I'll give it a shot later. I am now doing a review of the Firestone Cute Beyond and Fubar III, and I may be comparing those to the Travagans amps and the NuForce Icon which also has a USB DAC and two analog inputs - we'll see...

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #65 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harryo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a couple of 2:1 adapters from an eBayer in Hong Kong this weekend and finally fitted the AD743s in the Red.

This should be the final opamp change that I will do as I'm now very happy with the sound from the amplifier.

Also many thanks for the tip to use forceps to aid opamp removal, I have been undergoing a course of medical treatment at my local hospital and one of the numerous side-effects is that a certain amount of dexterity is lost in the hands which meant I struggled with the opamp removal.

A local electronics store provided me with a set of 250mm straight and curved forceps and they have proved invaluable.

Harryo

I am so glad you are enjoying it and were able to find some AD743 and an adapter.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am thinking about buying a spare set of AD743, if you could PM me with info about your source before they are all sold out I would appreciate it!

PS: I hope you are feeling better. I have some musculoskeletal problems that even make it difficult for me to write sometimes.

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #66 of 185
Quote:

I am thinking about buying a spare set of AD743, if you could PM me with info about your source before they are all sold out I would appreciate it!

I purchased from a UK shop who have hundreds of the chip in stock!

They are a worldwide operation so have PMd a URL link to the UK store, you can then select an option to view the United States store.

I did look at the United States store but it would only give me pricing in UK pounds, they also had lower stocks of the opamp than the UK!

Harryo

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #67 of 185
Quote:

Well, at this point I am in love with my Red for driving Electrostatic headphones via a speaker terminal transformer, as much as I am with Red's ability to eek out as much performance from my Edition 9 as possible. In my original review I tried the Travagans pushing an Stax SRD-7SB normal bias transformer, to drive my SR-Lambda and SR-5NB gold edition. The results were very good, and that was with the stock opamp.

I recently got an SRD-7 Pro for running my high bias (pro bias) electrostatic headphones off a speaker amp, and hooked this up to the Travagans Red. I first tried my SR-Lambda Signature and SR-003, and they sounded very good, as good or better than with my dedicated Stax SRM-1 Mk2 Pro amp.

Today my Sennheiser HE60 baby orpheus arrived, and I tried them with my NuForce Icon speaker amp first. But then I reconnected the Travagans Red to the SRD-7 Pro transformer and the Red really does make the HE60 sing. It's just so clear and transparent and open that I am blown away. The Nuforce has bit more bass with the HE60, which are known to be bass light, but the bass is still acceptable with either speaker amp. The Red is not as forward in the mids, but I am pretty sure that if I put the AD797 back in the Red, it will become more forward and more bassy like the NuForce Icon. (But AD797 wasn't as good with the Edition 9).

When driving dynamic headphones, I think the Red is still better than the NuForce, although the NuForce Icon is not burned-in yet. I don't expect the 1/8" headphone out to beat the Red but I'll give it a shot later. I am now doing a review of the Firestone Cute Beyond and Fubar III, and I may be comparing those to the Travagans amps and the NuForce Icon which also has a USB DAC and two analog inputs - we'll see...

Great looking forward to those reviews and comparisons
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #69 of 185
Do you need the portability of the D1? If not, I'd sell the D1 and go for the Travagan's White - that will for SURE be an upgrade.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #70 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need the portability of the D1? If not, I'd sell the D1 and go for the Travagan's White - that will for SURE be an upgrade.

Not really but as i understand it the D1 DAC will probably still be better than the WHITE DAC plus i think its harder to do the opamp rolling on the white one due to more cramped space.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #71 of 185
Using USB input, the White DAC is a little better than the D1 DAC with USB. For some reason I thought the White via USB was better than the Green USB as well, even though I would think should be the same.

However, with my Macbook with optical out the D1 (and the HR Micro DAC) sound a little better than any of my USB DAC's. You definitely have to roll opamps in the D1 to be as good as the white. If you can find a pair of AD743 and the right size 2:1 adapter, with LMH6643 or 6655 for buffers, and the 6234 or 6241 for the DAC, the D1 is a real contender. The AD797 are quite good in the main amp section too, and you can use AD8397 in the buffers but the LMH6643 and 6655 are available in DIP form so no soldering.

If you don't need portability, optical input, or don't want to roll opamps and risk frying the D1 DAC like I did, then you could almost pay for a White by selling the D1 for $250. The only other USB DAC that sound better than the white will be more expensive (Headroom Micro or Ultra Micro, Pico, Apogee mini-DAC and Benchmark DAC1 for example - but I have only listened to the first 3 of 4 listed here).

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #72 of 185
PS: I had tube_buyer (Raymond Chow) on ebay make me some small soldered on SOIC OPA627AU x2 on an adapter, that fits the White.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tube_buyer
The price of 4OPA627 is USD52. The shipping is USD10. Soldering cost = Free! My pleasure to do so!
smily_headphones1.gif

So, for $62 I got two 2:1 adapters with the OPA627 soldered on them, I bet he will do one for half the $52=26, + $10 shipping=$36 total if you email him at raychow1 at netvigator dot com

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #73 of 185
Quote:

You definitely have to roll opamps in the D1 to be as good as the white. If you can find a pair of AD743 and the right size 2:1 adapter, with LMH6643 or 6655 for buffers, and the 6234 or 6241 for the DAC, the D1 is a real contender. The AD797 are quite good in the main amp section too, and you can use AD8397 in the buffers but the LMH6643 and 6655 are available in DIP form so no soldering.

Well i already have 6234 on the D1 DAC with the LMH6643 buffer and LMH6622 on the L/R(Thinking of getting AD797). So i guess based on your comment there even if i get white i probably wont be blown away by it. Maybe i'm better off to get a MKIII tube amp since they will have different sound sig
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #74 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i already have 6234 on the D1 DAC with the LMH6643 buffer and LMH6622 on the L/R(Thinking of getting AD797). So i guess based on your comment there even if i get white i probably wont be blown away by it. Maybe i'm better off to get a MKIII tube amp since they will have different sound sig
smily_headphones1.gif

If you keep the D1, DO get the AD797 or AD743, and HiFlight can make you a 2:1 adapter that fits the D1 if you PM him. The White is very good and wins via USB, but if you roll the right opamps then the D1 can keep up if your source is via analog input, and if you use optical input I think the D1 leads.

I had the same dilemma when I had the D1 and was looking for a home amp - I didn't know whether to get a Meier Cantate or a Dark Voice 336i, and Skylab counseled me to go for the 336i so I could develop a taste for tubes. I still have the 336i but not the D1 (I do miss the D1 but I needed a Stax SRD-7 pro more than I needed the D1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back