REVIEW: Travagans "Green", "Red" and "White" with "Colors" thrown in for good measure. Update: Travagans Black
May 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #32 of 185
Great review!
Which one do you prefer, "Red" with rolled op-amps or the "White" for headphones only?

It was not until your review I actually realized how small the Red/Green/White amps are. Seems like they are good for the price as well.

May 2, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #34 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review!
Which one do you prefer, "Red" with rolled op-amps or the "White" for headphones only?

It was not until your review I actually realized how small the Red/Green/White amps are. Seems like they are good for the price as well.

Right now, I prefer the Red with AD743, followed closely by the Red with OPA627. But the White with AD8397 or LT1364 is extremely close behind. The important thing is that these all sound very good stock, and if the amps weren't designed this well then rolling opamps would be of little benefit. With the OPA627 or AD743 the red sounds like an amp 3x it's cost, and that is something to be proud of.

My OPA627 x2 on a smaller 2:1 adapter is on it's way from Hong Kong and will be here by the weekend after next. So, once I get that installed in the white it should be right up there with the Red.

May 2, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #35 of 185
Quote:

My OPA627 x2 on a smaller 2:1 adapter is on it's way from Hong Kong and will be here by the weekend after next. So, once I get that installed in the white it should be right up there with the Red.

Larry what vendor did you get the opamps from?

May 2, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #36 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew jc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry what vendor did you get the opamps from?

I'm pretty sure I linked to the ebay purchase earlier, and you can click the link to the seller's store from there. I think seller was "tube_buyer". I can't check easily from my cell phone.

May 3, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #38 of 185
Wow, fantastic review, thanks again for the chance to listen and compare with all of your gear.
biggrin.gif

I think Skylab is right....you're gonna have to get a crown for Yoda!
tongue.gif

May 3, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #39 of 185
did you get the samples for free?

May 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #41 of 185
I've been playing with the White some more today, and after 200+ hours it seemed to be gaining some bass with the Grado RS-1, so I swapped the LM4562 back into it this afternoon.

The White now seems to have enough bass for the Grados with the stock LM4562, and the highs may be ever so slightly smoother with the LM4562 back in. I think I still like the AD8397 just a little bit better, but I am just gonna leave the LM4562 installed until those OPA627AU SOIC soldered onto a 2:1 arrive.

May 7, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #42 of 185
The white continues to show subtle improvements now that I am up to 250+ hours, and since 200+ hours there is no lack of bass with the stock opamps. It is very smooth and transparent. Very nice.

May 7, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #43 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice review Larry, now go and buy a bigger house to keep all the new toys.
wink.gif

Somehow I missed this post.

We bought a 5,000 sq ft house summer 2005, and finished the basement 18 months ago. The basement is my playground - wet bar, pool table, foosball, air-hockey, fireplace, home theater with 2 rows of chairs and 60 screen, and my "old" bedroom rig = several headphone amps and sources for listening to dynamics and electrostats.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But for some reason, I still spend most of my day in an armchair in the bedroom with my new and improved main rig. My wife is trying to get me to move my "pile o' stuff" out of our bedroom, and she keeps hinting that it belongs in the "man cave" downstairs (her words).

May 14, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #45 of 185
I've recently ordered some LT1364s for my Zero to put in the amp section. If it sounds better than the OPA627s that are in there now (as has been reported) then I will have two spare pairs of 627AUs if the others don't arrive!

Larry thanks for the fantastic review on these guys. Hoping someone has compared to the Zero after CanJam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back