[REVIEW/TOUR] Somic MH412 + Viper4Android. The "Put Up or Shut Up" Review and Tour.
Apr 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #197 of 233

I haven't. I was going to, but I thought it was asked that we not touch anything else in the app but the "enable/disable" option. Is it ok to load the other profile and then restore the somic?

No problem, go ahead. That rule was aimed at those who don't know what they're doing :p

:p

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #198 of 233
Wow. The Phillips sound great with the v4a response as well. My impression so far is that they don't sound "as" good as the mh412 with profile active, but I need more comparing. They still sound damn good though. Glad I own a pair. I'll definitely be cloning this eq for iOS.

So how do I get joe to make a triple flange, red filter er4s response file by tomorrow? :p

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #199 of 233
Wow. The Phillips sound great with the v4a response as well. My impression so far is that they don't sound "as" good as the mh412 with profile active, but I need more comparing. They still sound damn good though. Glad I own a pair. I'll definitely be cloning this eq for iOS.

So how do I get joe to make a triple flange, red filter er4s response file by tomorrow? :p

Now here's a guy who knows what he's doing :popcorn: You've read up from inside the thread on where to store the .irs and how to choose between using a 44k or 48k preset by checking Driver Status in V4A? (I'll be darned if I remember whether the Samsung is on 44100 or 48000, I *think* it's 44100.)

I have no idea how to tune the ER4S for you--actually I think deep insertion IEMs are more variable in their in-ear response as different people manage to stuff them to different depths.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #200 of 233
 as different people manage to stuff them to different depths.

ksc75smile.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #201 of 233

Now here's a guy who knows what he's doing :popcorn: You've read up from inside the thread on where to store the .irs and how to choose between using a 44k or 48k preset by checking Driver Status in V4A? (I'll be darned if I remember whether the Samsung is on 44100 or 48000, I *think* it's 44100.)

I have no idea how to tune the ER4S for you--actually I think deep insertion IEMs are more variable in their in-ear response as different people manage to stuff them to different depths.

Haha funny. I didn't read any instructions. It just seemed intuitive to me. The sample rate was in the file names, so I chose 44khz accordingly as my files are mostly 16/44. Loading the file also just seemed intuitive. Downloaded the file, looked around and found the mh412 file sitting in a viper folder. Moved the Philips file to the same folder. Restarted viper to be sure and lo and behold I was able to change response files. :p

Then again I am a computer geek and audiophile. :p but I'll take that as a compliment. :)

I agree on the deep insertion. The irony is that they have the potential to be MORE consistent across users, but most people probably give up fitting them or don't get them deep enough or sealed properly.

Too bad, I wanted to compare your eq with mine. So far you the only other person who seems to get very neutral responses via eq.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #202 of 233
the 44 vs 48khz choice goes with the device's output, not with the file. you go into the option stuff (top right) in viper and somewhere you have what the device uses.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #204 of 233

Now here's a guy who knows what he's doing
popcorn.gif
You've read up from inside the thread on where to store the .irs and how to choose between using a 44k or 48k preset by checking Driver Status in V4A? (I'll be darned if I remember whether the Samsung is on 44100 or 48000, I *think* it's 44100.)

Here is a similar er4s with red filters and small triple flange tips EQ fitted deeply and sealed well. It doesn't sound as "thick" as the somic, but overall the same balance and details are brought out. It's impressive to hear the ER4S kicking reference bass levels and more open treble (yes that's possible).

ER4S red filter, small triple flange
40hz        +7db        1.2bw
2950hz        -1db        1.3bw
7500hz        +4db        1.0bw
8375hz        -5db        0.2bw
10000hz        -3db        0.3bw
17000hz        +2db        2.4bw
9000hz        -3db        0.5bw

We need to have a discussion about our eq'ing processes. I'd be curious to know all the details of your process.

BTW, an excellent track to compare EQ is "Speed Demon" from Michael Jackson's original Bad album. NOT from the remastered albums. Those are dynamically compressed and nothing beneficial was done to the mastering otherwise.

This is one of my favorite test tracks. The sub bass thumps nicely on the synth bass and good earphones or speakers reveal how incredibly clean and tight it is. The vocal percussions sound more real and present on a good system as well. And at 2:08 the "ticka ticka" type electric guitar riffs sound super on the ER4S with this EQ. The dynamics are incredibly apparent while retaining balance and the following sub bass is so nice.

The somic and philips in comparison sound soft in that guitar part. Just some thoughts.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #206 of 233
Received the package. Mesh filter is missing on the left earpiece - thought that was found and replaced?

Can't get the phone to turn on - feel like an idiot! Pressed power button for ~5sec. Reseated mondo battery. Tried again - nada. Plugged into my laptop - no sign of charging and still unresponsive. Will try the small battery next...

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #207 of 233
Received the package. Mesh filter is missing on the left earpiece - thought that was found and replaced?

Uh-oh, I thought so too.
confused.gif

Can't get the phone to turn on - feel like an idiot! Pressed power button for ~5sec. Reseated mondo battery. Tried again - nada. Plugged into my laptop - no sign of charging and still unresponsive. Will try the small battery next...

Maybe @luisdent forgot to shutdown the phone before he sent it, so the battery is exhausted? Leave it plugged in for an hour or so, the charging led should eventually light up.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #209 of 233
Oh sorry, just a few notes. I never actually tried the large battery at all. It didn't turn on, so I just assumed it was dead. I immediately installed the normal battery for the portability and never used the big one, so I can't comment on that. I assume it just drained and died?

Regarding the mesh, I'm not sure if it was there or not when I received the earphones? I never removed the eartips or anything, which is ironic, because i usually try a bunch of tips. However, they fit and sounded so good I never needed to change them. I never noticed any obvious difference between the left and right channels though. Is there a noticeable difference without the filter? I assume so. If so, I would think the filter was there when they were mailed. Perhaps it came off in shipping and when you opened the package it flew out somewhere? :-o I'm not sure. I'd be surprised if it had been missing and I didn't notice it. I was really critically tweaking eq and should have noticed a difference in channel volume or response. :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back