Review: Three Flagship Custom IEM - Westone ES3X vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro
Sep 13, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #316 of 343
Quote:
okay, that suggests comparing the ES5 to another flat reference IEM for performance, rather than to the ones tweaked for audiophiles.

Quite so. Larry should now buy the UE Capitol Studios Reference Monitor. 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #317 of 343

Quite so. Larry should now buy the UE Capitol Studios Reference Monitor. 
ksc75smile.gif

agreed, certainly. however, he did just issue this wallet-protection disclaimer:

Quote:
I would like to add the JH16 and UE18, but money is an issue if I'm only getting them for the review and not because I need or want them. Personally, I don't want more bass than the JH13, so the UE18 are more likely to get bought someday, since the JH16 mostly differ in the bass vs the 13's.

so of course the hive-mind will keep pushing him   
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #318 of 343
Albeit an old thread - this has been very helpful!

The OP mentioned in the first post that the JH IEMs didn't go as far in the canal as the UE IEMs.  Can anyone else testify to this?

I'm very close to ordering my first pair of customs.  However, Isolation is key to me as I am a musician and these will see stage use.

I'm kind of leaning towards the JH16s - but again...isolation is the first concern.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #319 of 343
Quote:
LuvNutts said:

Albeit an old thread - this has been very helpful!

The OP mentioned in the first post that the JH IEMs didn't go as far in the canal as the UE IEMs.  Can anyone else testify to this?

I'm very close to ordering my first pair of customs.  However, Isolation is key to me as I am a musician and these will see stage use.

I'm kind of leaning towards the JH16s - but again...isolation is the first concern.

It's possible that the ES3Xs and ES5s actually have more isolation, because of the material they are made from.  They are a hybrid material, which uses hard lucite for the shell, but has a soft silicone coating on the canal portion.  This makes them more comfortable, and may make them isolate better.

You can request shallow fit or deep fit from any of the manufacturers, assuming whoever does your impressions gets them deep enough.

(BTW, when this thread moved to the front page, I was hoping that Larry had added his ES5 review.)

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #320 of 343

Quote:

It's possible that the ES3Xs and ES5s actually have more isolation, because of the material they are made from.  They are a hybrid material, which uses hard lucite for the shell, but has a soft silicone coating on the canal portion.  This makes them more comfortable, and may make them isolate better.

You can request shallow fit or deep fit from any of the manufacturers, assuming whoever does your impressions gets them deep enough.

(BTW, when this thread moved to the front page, I was hoping that Larry had added his ES5 review.)

I am working on it, but I had been sick the past two weeks and on antibiotics for sinusitis/bronchitis with lowered energy levels.  I can still say that the ES5 are my favorite of the lot, and would be my desert Island IEM if I could only pick one.

I am finding that they are more ruthless in revealing poor recordings than the JH13Pro or others, but with 95% of my music they are good. It's more an issue of how the music is mastered than bit rate, as a good amount of my New Age and electronic music is from eMusic and it sounds okay.  However, something like 3OH!3 "Want" sucks with most of my IEM, even in lossless.  I also have some comments and impressions scattered around in the ES5 thread, in advance of my review:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495931/westone-es5

My ES3X and ES5 do isolate more than my JH13Pro and UE11Pro.  I can use my ES5 as hearing protection at the local shooting range.  As for ear canal depth, my first JH13Pro went deeper like my UE11Pro and ES3X. But when they remade the JH13Pro due to being too loose they made the canals not go in as deep as my UE11Pro which they scanned for the re-build.  Still they fit better and isolate well.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #321 of 343
Thanks for info! 

This is kind of strange being that Westone advertises their ear pieces as -25db (opposed to the -26db norm).  I suppose they are a little more humble about their ratings...or the others exaggerate a bit.  (I tend to think it's the latter
redface.gif
)

About the ear canal depth -
Do you feel that the (shorter) jh13s isolate as well as the (longer) UE11s?   Or does this shorter canal depth cause less isolation?

Thanks again!
Quote:

My ES3X and ES5 do isolate more than my JH13Pro and UE11Pro.  I can use my ES5 as hearing protection at the local shooting range.  As for ear canal depth, my first JH13Pro went deeper like my UE11Pro and ES3X. But when they remade the JH13Pro due to being too loose they made the canals not go in as deep as my UE11Pro which they scanned for the re-build.  Still they fit better and isolate well.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #322 of 343

Quote:
Thanks for info! 

This is kind of strange being that Westone advertises their ear pieces as -25db (opposed to the -26db norm).  I suppose they are a little more humble about their ratings...or the others exaggerate a bit.  (I tend to think it's the latter
redface.gif
)

About the ear canal depth -
Do you feel that the (shorter) jh13s isolate as well as the (longer) UE11s?   Or does this shorter canal depth cause less isolation?

Thanks again!

I haven't noticed a big difference in isolation between my JH13Pro and UE11Pro, despite different tip length.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #323 of 343
Thanks, awsome post. i just want some more...  
L3000.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #325 of 343

Quote:
This makes me want the ES3X, observing how well it competed given its bargain price relative to the other two.

yep, me toooo! soon I give away my se425 i will take es3x or es5

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #326 of 343
Dec 23, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #327 of 343

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you're saying, but I feel the need to point out that there are some real technology differences bewtween the three "flagship" models.

Have a look at Jerry's lineup, and you'll see clearly that Jerry has aligned his top tier IEM's to compete very directly with specific models of other manufacturers, and to do so at a better price:

The 10x3 compares technologically with the ES3X, and beats it, price wise.

No, it doesn't. The ES3X can be had for $800 from an authorised dealer (not from eBay) -- http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net...-monitors.html

Also, a lot of audiologists will get you the ES3X for $850, including the ear impressions.

... and for 100$ more, you get the new flagship ES5. still waiting for this review! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #328 of 343

Quote:
Thanks a lot for this great review, HPA !
I was not sure if it was a good idea to order my first custom IEM, the JH13 Pro "blind" two weeks ago, but now I do feel very good and hardly can wait until it arrives at me ....

Jochen

still waiting for a review then!  Enjoy then and have fun!   
wink_face.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #329 of 343

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review HPA and you just pushed me to go ahead and order these. I'm only a part timer making 9.50 an hour but I don't mind goin into a bit more debt for audio bliss. Now only if I could find an audiologist who isn't tryin to charge me $130-150 just for some impressions..

Thanks again man, we all appreciate your time and effort.

You're ordering all 3 ES3X, UE11 & JH13? Working part-time & maiking $9.50 an hour?! :)

lol 
deadhorse.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #330 of 343

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you!!!!
If you are still curious for customs, you should give the EarSonics EM3-pro a try EarSonics ®: EM3-pro. , some people in this side of the world have considered them to be the best....

And there's never any mention of ACS T1 -- Advanced Communication Solutions - ACS T1 Custom Triple Driver Monitors - SRP £649 ($1,073)

And there's never any mention of Elite Series ES5 | Westone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back