Review: Three Flagship Custom IEM - Westone ES3X vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro
Mar 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #271 of 343
Regarding the 3MAX from Sensaphonics, their client list is impressive, eveyone from Patricia Barber to Dave Matthews to Green Day and on and on. Soft gel silicone does sound comfortable. It will be a great when someone gets these and provides a review. But I can't tell the price from the web site...

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #273 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amusingly, the list on UE's website has a lot of the same artists: Ultimate Ears Clientele - Community - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

I was thinking too that it may include a number of artists that have since moved on to other IEMs.
wink_face.gif

Still, it is a fine list. (Edit: And this news is current.)

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #275 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking too that it may include a number of artists that have since moved on to other IEMs.
wink_face.gif

Still, it is a fine list. (Edit: And this news is current.)

Indeed, I find facts and names a lot more convincing than veiled attacks in marketing syrup. I believe they'd gain in credibility by dropping their most stereotypical marketing wording ("Sensaphonics earphones are favored by discriminating artists and engineers [...]") for a more "here's a fact, and we don't need to imply that our competitors are crooks for using more drivers and you an indiscriminate moron if you don't buy our stuff" approach. I think that their mention of Bon Jovi as a beta tester for their 3MAX or Lady Gaga as their first customer has more weight than their veiled insults and all their gushing self-praises, even in the eyes of those who don't really like either of these two singers.

Good find, cooperpwc!

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #276 of 343
Thanks, Sinocelt. And I will stop diverting this brilliant thread. It would just be nice to add the 3MAX to the comparisons at some point. I am a future custom IEM buyer (obtaining molds from a reliable audiologist given my location is partly slowing me down) and I am currently leaning towards the Westone ES3X for the comfort, price and house sound combination. Comfort is king for me so Sensaphonics has to be at least considered - even if just to be eliminated on SQ as the case may be.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #277 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Sinocelt. And I will stop diverting this brilliant thread. It would just be nice to add the 3MAX to the comparisons at some point. I am a future custom IEM buyer (obtaining molds from a reliable audiologist given my location is partly slowing me down) and I am currently leaning towards the Westone ES3X for the comfort, price and house sound combination. Comfort is king for me so Sensaphonics has to be at least considered - even if just to be eliminated on SQ as the case may be.

*nods* Now we just need HPA to buy the JH16, UE18, 3MAX, and ibuds, and write a comprehensive comparative review before the creditors knock at his door and seize all his possessions.

Joking apart, how about asking for review items? Didn't Felix get free custom IEMs from UE and Westone for his reviews?

HPA: you've got the best, most comprehensive reviews to be found on Head-Fi, and you already own three of the top customs, so are in a better position to make comparisons than about anyone. That must be worth something to those companies.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #278 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*nods* Now we just need HPA to buy the JH16, UE18, 3MAX, and ibuds, and write a comprehensive comparative review before the creditors knock at his door and seize all his possessions.

Joking apart, how about asking for review items? Didn't Felix get free custom IEMs from UE and Westone for his reviews?

HPA: you've got the best, most comprehensive reviews to be found on Head-Fi, and you already own three of the top customs, so are in a better position to make comparisons than about anyone. That must be worth something to those companies.

Thanks. I would be interested in comparing more flagship custom IEM - I just need the funds and the motivation to do it, since I am very happy with the ones I already reviewed. I'm sure I could get some kind of discount to add them to my review, so I'm considering it. But I'd really like to pay off a big credit card someday.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #279 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I would be interested in comparing more flagship custom IEM - I just need the funds and the motivation to do it, since I am very happy with the ones I already reviewed. I'm sure I could get some kind of discount to add them to my review, so I'm considering it. But I'd really like to pay off a big credit card someday.

Sorry, I just can't hide my jealousy--you're in debt to fund your audio obsession! I'm sitting on a decent-sized savings, but my wife won't let me have anything beyond what I have already (no high-end customs). There should be a separate thread on convincing the missus that personal audio is a valid hobby and is worth spending thousands on. Or maybe I'm just whipped and can't stand up for myself
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #280 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I just can't hide my jealousy--you're in debt to fund your audio obsession! I'm sitting on a decent-sized savings, but my wife won't let me have anything beyond what I have already (no high-end customs). There should be a separate thread on convincing the missus that personal audio is a valid hobby and is worth spending thousands on. Or maybe I'm just whipped and can't stand up for myself
frown.gif

Almost 2/3 the debt is a 8-day trip to Hawaii for 5 people from about a year ago. Some of it is a down payment on a car for the teenagers to drive, and about 1/3 of the debt is from headphones and amps. I could pay everything off in about 10-12 months if my wife would agree to stop traveling and I could stop buying gear. I swore that the PS Audio PWD, Protector and Pico Slim are my last purchases. I'd like to sell about $1,500 - $2,000 in gear, and then enjoy what I have, so don't talk me into spending that on more IEM.
popcorn.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #281 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Sounds like your wife and mine could be good friends!
There have been some threads about the missus in other sites that are quite funny. None of their suggestions worked for me though...
frown.gif
my wife is a tough cookie, but I do love her......

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #283 of 343
Quote:

My wife keeps asking why i can't get a normal hobby.

"You mean, like adultery?"

Your hobby is rather innocuous, I'd say!

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #284 of 343
great reviews deserve to be resurrected

it didnt surprise me that jh13 had more bass detail the es3x and did you find the mids more desirable on the es3x vs jh13?

also im curious how es3x compares to say the um3x or w3?

a delightful read

thankyou

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #285 of 343
Quote:

My wife keeps asking why i can't get a normal hobby. I suppose she thinks I should be tying fly fishing lures or something.
tongue.gif

I had normal hobby (radio control model) which sold in hobby shop. you should tell her normal hobby don't cost less then HiFi as one can get a RC jet for 22k for the plane alone exclude radio equipments and engine. not to mention people have various models and a huge truck/van to carry them around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back