Review: Three Flagship Custom IEM - Westone ES3X vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro
Aug 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #46 of 343
Awesome review, which I will spend many hours more re-reading

Just thought I would mention that the 4G Nano SQ is 7/10 at best. Sansa Clip is a much better very portable DAP. Just keeping it short because I want to watch the 100m heats before I miss the Bolt of lightning
tongue_smile.gif

Larry, I note that you previously had the E4C in the past. I went from E4G (gaming edition) to UM2. I am toying with the idea of an upgrade. I am done with portable amps - no apologies, they just do not go well with jeans. In my position would you push me towards top end universal or bottom end custom for use with a headphone out only? Generalist as the question is

Thanks

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #48 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HPA - I have few question after reading the review:
Which IEM is the most neutral, the ES3X or JH13?
Which one have more bass? Cause you said the JH13 have more impact, but does it say more bass?
Which one has more open sound? [More airy, with better feel of space]
Which one is warmer?

Thanks.

you did read the review right??

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #49 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HPA - I have few question after reading the review:
Which IEM is the most neutral, the ES3X or JH13?
Which one have more bass? Cause you said the JH13 have more impact, but does it say more bass?
Which one has more open sound? [More airy, with better feel of space]
Which one is warmer?

Thanks.

1. JH13Pro, although the ES3X is pretty close
2. JH13pro, although the ES3X is pretty close
3. both
4. JH13pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are the man, Larry! Thanks for all your hard work (although I'm sure you had a load of fun, too). That review is very well structured and concise. I really like that you listed what desktop and portable amps you enjoyed most in order of how much you like them with each custom IEM. I think for my musical taste and wallet size, I will go for the ES3X. While not being the only factor, your work was essential in my making this decision. I choose it over the JH10x3, simply because I like the closeness of soundstage and the rich mids you described in the ES3X. Btw, although the review isn't supposed to include impressions of the balanced ES3X that you heard with the balanced cable and apache, it would have been a very nice side note. Can you follow up with that impression?

The balanced ES3X off the Apache at CanJam had a soundstage that expanded in all directions, and the separation of the sounds seemed to put more space between the different instruments, with a little more bass impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes me want the ES3X, observing how well it competed given its bargain price relative to the other two.

The ES3X is a fantastic performer for it's price. I'm sorry I can't compare it to a 10x3 or an 11Pro or a UE10Pro, but there is only so much one man can do. My wallet is frozen in a block of ice right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome review, which I will spend many hours more re-reading

Just thought I would mention that the 4G Nano SQ is 7/10 at best. Sansa Clip is a much better very portable DAP. Just keeping it short because I want to watch the 100m heats before I miss the Bolt of lightning
tongue_smile.gif

Larry, I note that you previously had the E4C in the past. I went from E4G (gaming edition) to UM2. I am toying with the idea of an upgrade. I am done with portable amps - no apologies, they just do not go well with jeans. In my position would you push me towards top end universal or bottom end custom for use with a headphone out only? Generalist as the question is

Thanks

I agree about the 4G Nano - for me the main reason to have one is to have 16gb of music, TV and movies in a tiny package, loaded from itunes where other DAP wont play purchased TV and movies, and so it can save my iPhone battery when I don't need the better sound of the iPhone 3G/GS. I've been using an iBasso T4 to mellow the Nano sound while still being able to slip it in a pants pocket - but it is still not as good as the iPhone 3G/GS so I'm waiting for Pico Slim (or Shadow) to come out.

The UE4Pro universal demo at CanJam reminded me a lot of the UM3X with UM56 tips, in the limited amount of time I spent with either. The W3 and UM3X still sound their best with the UM-56 custom tips - so you could get one of those sets and be able to sell it for funds later when you get closer to affording a flagship custom IEM. On the other hand, the $400 customs like UE4Pro and JH5Pro might be good enough to keep you away from the flagship custom IEMs later.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #50 of 343
What a great review! Much appreciated. It reminds me of digihead's occasional postings in which he was amazed by the ES3xs. Really well done. I've just purchased the ES3xs and I can't wait! For me, the $400 price difference between them and the jh13s is more than enough for me to be happy about owning one of the best IEMs out there. Can't wait to see if my own impressions match up...

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #51 of 343
Great review HPA. It was well written and very detailed. I am very happy to say that I have ordered my JH|13's today and when I seen that your review was posted I was very excited. This has truly reinforced my decision of getting the JH|13's
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #54 of 343
Thanks HeadphoneAddict
smily_headphones1.gif
Great review and I enjoyed reading it.

I only have custom sleeves for UM3Xs, and I think they are wonderful. I can only imagine how these top custom IEMs sound like, and until I able to hear them for real, I really need to save some money first. (Luckily I am not a smoker)
smily_headphones1.gif
. But, who knows, next year, there will be another top custom IEMs will emerge from nowhere with cheaper price. Until then, PFEs or UM3Xs + custom sleeves are my close friends
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #55 of 343
Thanks for taking the time out to do this review, Larry.

A true "Labor of Love".

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #57 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. JH13Pro, although the ES3X is pretty close
2. JH13pro, although the ES3X is pretty close
3. both
4. JH13pro

....When I said bass, I actualy meant upper bass and lower mids.....
redface.gif

I think the ES3X have realy brilliant treble and magical mids with exaggerated upper bass/lower mids [80-130Hz] and with perfect tight and impactful bass
beerchug.gif

My problem is only the lower mids/upper bass, as you already understood.
Does the JH|13Pro solve this problem?

And I realy like the idea of the JH13 soundstage - audience in the 1st row. And also the exrteme detail and speed. [And balance ofcourse]

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #58 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE4Pro universal demo at CanJam reminded me a lot of the UM3X with UM56 tips, in the limited amount of time I spent with either. The W3 and UM3X still sound their best with the UM-56 custom tips - so you could get one of those sets and be able to sell it for funds later when you get closer to affording a flagship custom IEM. On the other hand, the $400 customs like UE4Pro and JH5Pro might be good enough to keep you away from the flagship custom IEMs later.

I'd rather get top end universal (toying with idea of UM3X or W3) or base customs. Would not go UM56 route as I might as well save up a little extra. The ESW9 are nice but the ESW10 seems a little for a lot if I can dare say that
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #59 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you're saying, but I feel the need to point out that there are some real technology differences bewtween the three "flagship" models.

Have a look at Jerry's lineup, and you'll see clearly that Jerry has aligned his top tier IEM's to compete very directly with specific models of other manufacturers, and to do so at a better price:

The 10x3 compares technologically with the ES3X, and beats it, price wise.

No, it doesn't. The ES3X can be had for $800 from an authorised dealer (not from eBay) -- http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net...-monitors.html

Also, a lot of audiologists will get you the ES3X for $850, including the ear impressions.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #60 of 343
OK, I stand corrected. It's the same price.

My point is that both in terms of technology used and price point, it's a more direct comparison with another model in Jerry's lineup.

The way I described my point over on the JH13 thread is that comparing the value of the ES3X to the JH13 is rather like saying a Toyota Camry is a good value compared to an Acura. While that may be true, it seems to me that it would be more accurate to compare a Lexus to an Acura.

Except, in this case, Westone doesn't make a Lexus, the only offer the Toyota.

Still, HPA's point is very well taken that there is only so much one man can do, and I don't fault him for choosing the top current offerings of the three major manufacturers as the basis for a review. Given that there is not a perfect model for model comparison available, it makes as much sense to do it this way as any. There really is only so much one guy can do, and in this case, he's done a hell of a job.

All that said, Larry's review makes it very clear to me who leads the Custom IEM industry, and that person's name is Jerry Harvey.

I really don't want to sound like a fanboy here, so let me illustrate my point. Here's how I see the model for model comparisons, if someone is looking to "shop around".

JH5-Pro = UE5-Pro, $200 cheaper
JH7-Pro = UE7 Pro comparable, $150 cheaper
JH10-Pro = UE10 Pro, $100 cheaper
JH10X3 Pro = ES3X comparable, similar price
JH11-Pro = UE11Pro, $150 cheaper
JH13-Pro = No current comparable model, but still $50 cheaper than UE11 Pro.

I think it also quite relavent that, of the 11 models above, Jerry Harvey designed 9 or 10 of them. And, if you talk to Jerry, he'll tell you that his current models improve on the UE designs.

Anyway, I'm not trying to change the subject here. Thanks again to Larry for taking the time and spending the bucks to do such a great review. I just know that before I would consider the ES3X, I'd be looking at the list above, and giving some thought as to who is obviously the leading innovator in the custom IEM arena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back