REVIEW: The Sennheiser HD 215 (the HD 205's bigger brother)
Aug 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #31 of 195
Quote:
Hi,

Nice review. From looking at the sound you described, these sound a lot like my old HD485's. Those were good headphones and were warm and slightly bassy.

These are a bit warm in the sense of reference..but to others of it's range. Not really that warm, a good neutral-like mid and highs with weak bass responce or quantity.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #32 of 195
Quote:

It's now part of my standard evaluation repertoire.  Thanks for the heads up on it!  I honestly could not think a better test for mid-range detailing and resolution than that.  I mean, just off the top of your head, can you? 

There are certain tracks by Stereolab that I like to use for the same reasons. Let me know if you're interested I'll tell you which ones...

Thank you sir for the kind words. 
smile.gif
  I don't think I could ever do a multi-unit shoot-out though... there'd just be too much to cover, and I'd be all over the place.

I'm sure you could if you wanted to. But it is pretty difficult because you have to really take your time to clear your head between listening sessions.

Wait, HD631?  I thought it was the HD661?  Not to rush, but I'm actually eagerly awaiting that shoot-out.  I read somewhere (probably here @ Head-Fi), that the HD661 was Superlux's version of Sony's 7506. 

I actually have both models. Yes, the HD661 is very similar to the 7506 / V6, except for a much different headband. SQ is similar, but there are differences. Which is interesting because the FR graphs look almost identical.

L-Sony MDR-7506  R-Superlux HD661

The HD631 is another Superlux headphone, more or less a DJ model. While it doesn't look like a copy of another brand, the FR graphs are just about identical to the Pioneer HDJ-2000.

Superlux HD631

Both headphones are very impressive for the price, $40.00 for the HD661, about $80.00 for the HD631

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #33 of 195
Quote:
Nice review. From looking at the sound you described, these sound a lot like my old HD485's. Those were good headphones and were warm and slightly bassy.

Thanks Zombie. 
smile.gif
  Those HD 485s look comfy with those velour pads... and BIG.  Would you characterize the "slightly bassy" quality as more of a bass/mid-bass hump?  Or is it more of a better bass extension type-of-thing?

Quote:
These are a bit warm in the sense of reference..but to others of it's range. Not really that warm, a good neutral-like mid and highs with weak bass responce or quantity.

Hmm, so not bassy then?

Quote:
  I actually have both models. Yes, the HD661 is very similar to the 7506 / V6, except for a much different headband. SQ is similar, but there are differences. Which is interesting because the FR graphs look almost identical.

The HD631 is another Superlux headphone, more or less a DJ model. While it doesn't look like a copy of another brand, the FR graphs are just about identical to the Pioneer HDJ-2000.

Both headphones are very impressive for the price, $40.00 for the HD661, about $80.00 for the HD631

Hmm, I'm more intrigued than ever.  I first saw the HD661 in black, but I'm digging that cool white version.  The HD631 also sounds interesting as an HDJ-2000 clone.  Obviously gonna wait for your roundup to come out before pulling any triggers though, but I am quite curious now. 
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #34 of 195
Bravo warrenpchi! I am very impressed, so much effort put into it. It really pays off.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #36 of 195
Quote:
Bravo warrenpchi! I am very impressed, so much effort put into it. It really pays off.

Thanks WiR3D!  Long time no see here in these parts.

Quote:
Best review!!!!   well explained and really helps a lot.

Thanks mattia, if you have any other questions about it just lemme know.  BTW, if intend on using an amp, bowei006's review covers that.  I ran it unamped nearly the entire time.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #37 of 195
Hi,

I would say it's more mid-bass than extension. They have quite a bit of bass from memory and are quite warm with smooth highs. Too bad they are discontinued.

Quote:
Thanks Zombie. 
smile.gif
  Those HD 485s look comfy with those velour pads... and BIG.  Would you characterize the "slightly bassy" quality as more of a bass/mid-bass hump?  Or is it more of a better bass extension type-of-thing?

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #39 of 195
Hi,

Well I said I was guessing they sounded that way. I have not heard the HD215 at all.

Quote:

Haha, the exact opposite of how I'd describe the HD215.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #41 of 195
Quote:
I would say it's more mid-bass than extension. They have quite a bit of bass from memory and are quite warm with smooth highs. Too bad they are discontinued.

See, now if they could make the HD 215's sound like that - while keeping that tight control over the bass - that would a pretty cool model.

As for being discontinued, you never know.  After all, they're bringing back the HD 215...

Quote:

Yeah, I kind of cut you

It happens. 
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #42 of 195
Quote:

See, now if they could make the HD 215's sound like that - while keeping that tight control over the bass - that would a pretty cool model.

As for being discontinued, you never know.  After all, they're bringing back the HD 215...

Ah, the good old HD485. Totally remember that one. Back when I started this hobby, I was torn between the AD700 or the HD485 for the longest time. Good memories.

Quote:
It happens. 
smile.gif

Haha, well played.
cool.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #43 of 195
Quote:
Haha, well played.
cool.gif

wink.gif

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind doing a four-way shoot-out between all of Sennheisers DJ line-up:  HD 205, HD 215, HD 25-1 II, and HD 25-SP II.  Was a little burned out earlier in the week after posting this review.  But as the L.A. Meet approaches, I find myself getting amped up again.  Of course, there are a few problems with that idea:  (a) the HD 215 is going back; and (b) I don't have the HD 25-1 II and HD 25-SP II ATM.  Whatever, just minor details, I shall overcome.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #45 of 195
Quote:
The LA meet is this weekend right?  Hope you get to hear some cans on your short list.

Yup!  That's where I spent all day today.  It was great!  You have no idea how therapeutic it is to talk to people about soundstage and upper mids without their eyes glazing over.

It would have been nice if Sennheiser was there.  Still, you'd never know that they weren't because there were like a KAJILLION HD 800s there.  Sennheiser's probably busy gearing up for IFA 2012 anyway, so it's cool that they weren't there.

There was an HD 25-SP II there, but I didn't have time to listen to it.  Plus, its not like I can do a full review off of a meet impression anyway right?  However, I was able to hear Jude's Amperiors.  I was only mildly curious about them before, but I'm downright chartreuse with envy now.  Anyone who thinks that Sennheiser only does clinical cans seriously needs to hear how crazy fun these are.

OT:  BTW, Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs (modded T50RPs) are no joke.  Buy 'em.  Seriously, just buy 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back