1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

REVIEW: The Sennheiser HD 215 (the HD 205's bigger brother)

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by warrenpchi, Aug 14, 2012.
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
  1. bowei006 Contributor
    Quote:
    These are a bit warm in the sense of reference..but to others of it's range. Not really that warm, a good neutral-like mid and highs with weak bass responce or quantity.

2. postrock
    Quote:

3. warrenpchi Administrator
    Quote:

Thanks Zombie.  [​IMG]  Those HD 485s look comfy with those velour pads... and BIG.  Would you characterize the "slightly bassy" quality as more of a bass/mid-bass hump?  Or is it more of a better bass extension type-of-thing?

Quote:

Hmm, so not bassy then?

Quote:

Hmm, I'm more intrigued than ever.  I first saw the HD661 in black, but I'm digging that cool white version.  The HD631 also sounds interesting as an HDJ-2000 clone.  Obviously gonna wait for your roundup to come out before pulling any triggers though, but I am quite curious now.  [​IMG]

4. WiR3D
    Bravo warrenpchi! I am very impressed, so much effort put into it. It really pays off.

5. mattia
    Best review!!!!   well explained and really helps a lot.

6. warrenpchi Administrator
    Quote:

Thanks WiR3D!  Long time no see here in these parts.

Quote:

Thanks mattia, if you have any other questions about it just lemme know.  BTW, if intend on using an amp, bowei006's review covers that.  I ran it unamped nearly the entire time.

7. Zombie_X Contributor
    Hi,

I would say it's more mid-bass than extension. They have quite a bit of bass from memory and are quite warm with smooth highs. Too bad they are discontinued.

Quote:

8. Katun
    Quote:

Haha, the exact opposite of how I'd describe the HD215.

9. Zombie_X Contributor
    Hi,

Well I said I was guessing they sounded that way. I have not heard the HD215 at all.

Quote:

10. Katun
    Quote:

Yeah, I kind of cut your quote off at the wrong spot, haha.

11. warrenpchi Administrator
    Quote:

See, now if they could make the HD 215's sound like that - while keeping that tight control over the bass - that would a pretty cool model.

As for being discontinued, you never know.  After all, they're bringing back the HD 215...

Quote:

It happens.  [​IMG]

12. Katun
    Quote:

Ah, the good old HD485. Totally remember that one. Back when I started this hobby, I was torn between the AD700 or the HD485 for the longest time. Good memories.

Quote:

Haha, well played. [​IMG]

13. warrenpchi Administrator
    Quote:

[​IMG]

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind doing a four-way shoot-out between all of Sennheisers DJ line-up:  HD 205, HD 215, HD 25-1 II, and HD 25-SP II.  Was a little burned out earlier in the week after posting this review.  But as the L.A. Meet approaches, I find myself getting amped up again.  Of course, there are a few problems with that idea:  (a) the HD 215 is going back; and (b) I don't have the HD 25-1 II and HD 25-SP II ATM.  Whatever, just minor details, I shall overcome.

14. HiFiGuy528
    The LA meet is this weekend right?  Hope you get to hear some cans on your short list.

15. warrenpchi Administrator
    Quote:

Yup!  That's where I spent all day today.  It was great!  You have no idea how therapeutic it is to talk to people about soundstage and upper mids without their eyes glazing over.

It would have been nice if Sennheiser was there.  Still, you'd never know that they weren't because there were like a KAJILLION HD 800s there.  Sennheiser's probably busy gearing up for IFA 2012 anyway, so it's cool that they weren't there.

There was an HD 25-SP II there, but I didn't have time to listen to it.  Plus, its not like I can do a full review off of a meet impression anyway right?  However, I was able to hear Jude's Amperiors.  I was only mildly curious about them before, but I'm downright chartreuse with envy now.  Anyone who thinks that Sennheiser only does clinical cans seriously needs to hear how crazy fun these are.

OT:  BTW, Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs (modded T50RPs) are no joke.  Buy 'em.  Seriously, just buy 'em.

First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last