Review: The Battle of the DAPs – HiFiMAN vs. Studio 1 vs. iMod vs. DACport
Jul 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #46 of 61
nice review, and good discussion. but - call me mildly skeptical I guess - I simply use my iMod less these days, and prefer a Dell mini for instance, with a Pico fed via USB. not that much less portable in the end. not to overstate the point, but for the last seven or eight flights this year, I always had the Dell with me, as well as an iPod or iMod, and the Dell plus Pico saw much more use. maybe I am walking less and sitting more... at any rate, the HifiMan I am sure is great (never owned it and only heard it for very very brief tests) but at the price point it is close to what you use in your review - the Centrance Dacport - when used with a netbook.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #47 of 61
Thanks!  Do you have the Pico DAC/Amp or a DAC-only version?  If it's the DAC-only, you'll need an amp as well.  My DACport replaced my Pico DAC, no contest there for computer-based audio.

All in all, for stationary portable use, you have a wide variety of options.  The HiFiMAN is on the bit of the large side of the portable category, but in the end you can still fit it in your jacket pocket or in your pants while walking if you wear a loose fitting kind, and move around with it, although I would not recommend it for running or during other exercise.  As of right now, it's pretty much the only portable solution if you need 24/96 capable playback capability, while on the move.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #49 of 61

Quote:
Thanks!  Do you have the Pico DAC/Amp or a DAC-only version?  If it's the DAC-only, you'll need an amp as well.  My DACport replaced my Pico DAC, no contest there for computer-based audio.

I use the Pico Dac-Amp for laptops/netbooks, and other DACs for stationary/desktop situations. interesting that you prefer the Dacport to the Pico.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #50 of 61
Man, I gotta read it xD
And for sure, im gonna pm you warp :p
Im still waiting for you to get JH-3a/JH16 and if it would be possible: hm602 and em3pro and westone es5, so I could know a guy who got all the stuff that im considering xd

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #51 of 61
Quick answers to the questions:

HM-801 -  Yup, it's a keeper. One more firmware update to get rid of the few minor issues, such as gapless playback and it should be awesome.  Just bought the new adapter for it, too, much smaller and lighter than the previous unit.  Highly recommended.

Pico Amp/DAC - I've never owned or auditioned the combo unit, but knowing Justin's quality of work, I have no doubt it is a very nice sounding device.  I did own the DAC-only unit, which I bought here on the F/S forum and sold after the purchase of the DACport.  They are not direct competitors because the Headamp unit is self-powered, while the DACport is bus-powered.  But in terms of sound quality, I think it is safe to say that the DACport is in a different category.  One reason for this is that the Pico DAC is an oversampling design, while the DACport is native 24/96 design.  Overall, the DACport to my ears is a superior sounding unit by a significant margin.  If you read other reviews, the DACport is being compared to $1k-class dedicated units and that is for a reason.

JH-3A - yes, I will review it when it's released.  I will not be able to help with the other customs you've mentioned, because I have more than enough of them already and I'll be focusing on some recabled full-sized cans for a change in the near future...
wink_face.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #52 of 61
One question warp08: Do use a custom equalizer on the HM-801 while using the JH 16 Pro on it and if so, what are your setting? I'm used to my iPod classic sound and hence I'm still struggling to decide wether I like the HM-801 flat sounds more or when I use the equalizer (has a v-shape) so sound more like the iPod. Maybe other people have experienced that dilemma too? Especially in some songs I feel like I'm missing some low bass compared to the mid bass and that the mids are too strongly emphasized making it overall sounding dull...

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #54 of 61

i think only a few people would use equalizer, because the battery of hifiman is so short and equalizer drain it faster

I already spend roughly 1100 $ on the HM-801 + 3 32 GB SD Cards + GAME Amp board, to let battery life stand in my way of perfect sound quality :) Besides I believe it is a software implementation so how much battery would it actually drain?

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #56 of 61

Quote:
One question warp08: Do use a custom equalizer on the HM-801 while using the JH 16 Pro on it and if so, what are your setting? I'm used to my iPod classic sound and hence I'm still struggling to decide wether I like the HM-801 flat sounds more or when I use the equalizer (has a v-shape) so sound more like the iPod. Maybe other people have experienced that dilemma too? Especially in some songs I feel like I'm missing some low bass compared to the mid bass and that the mids are too strongly emphasized making it overall sounding dull...

No EQ needed for me at all, since I use Whiplash cables on all my cans/iems.  With the stock cable, yes, you do get that annoying flat, upper bass/low-mid hump characteristic of the iPod sound, but the TWag does away with all that, especially after properly burned in.  On some recordings, I even switch to the JH13s, for optimal balance.  TWag is a very expensive cable compared to the stock JHA cable for a reason and that shows in audio performance.

I have mentioned in my recent TWag review, that I was forced to go back to stock for a few days.  I ended up simply not using my gear, because of that very reason you mention.  It was dull, the sparkle, the emotion and energy the music carries was no longer there.  I'm not saying it sounded bad, afterall it's the same JH16 Pro, but it just wasn't the same.

BTW, I'm not trying to sell you a cable, just voicing my opinion based on personal experience.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #57 of 61

Quote:
I already spend roughly 1100 $ on the HM-801 + 3 32 GB SD Cards + GAME Amp board, to let battery life stand in my way of perfect sound quality :) Besides I believe it is a software implementation so how much battery would it actually drain?

You can do some optimization with firmware upgrades, but it won't amount to a lot, especially players that use flash memory. On iPods you can play tricks like putting the disk to sleep mode earlier vs. later and the like, but that doesn't apply to the HM-801.

Discreet, audiophile quality components and opamp design will always use more power, that can't be helped at this stage.  Fang already uses a Li-Polymer battery instead of the cheaper Li-Ion, so he's done what he can at this point.  Later, when more efficient DACs become available, this will improve, but you can't have your cake and eat it too...
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #58 of 61

You can do some optimization with firmware upgrades, but it won't amount to a lot, especially players that use flash memory. On iPods you can play tricks like putting the disk to sleep mode earlier vs. later and the like, but that doesn't apply to the HM-801.

Discreet, audiophile quality components and opamp design will always use more power, that can't be helped at this stage.  Fang already uses a Li-Polymer battery instead of the cheaper Li-Ion, so he's done what he can at this point.  Later, when more efficient DACs become available, this will improve, but you can't have your cake and eat it too...
wink.gif

I actually feel that the battery time is just fine for me. I don't listen for 8 - 10 hours straight to my music and to the place I commute to, I usually have an AC-Adaptor available.

Now back to my previous post warp08, I sure still would like to know wether you like an EQ on the Hifiman as well together with your 16 Pro or not?

BTW: Is it normal that the EQ also affects the sounds of the Line-Out?

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #59 of 61
I do not use EQ at all.  The only possible EQ scenario I'd consider valid if there was a known deficiency in the recording, which cannot be corrected otherwise.  Still, it's a stopgap measure and in those scenarios I simply wait until a remastered version becomes available.  If you need to EQ for any other reason, there may be a deficiency in the source, interconnects or the recording itself which leads right back to the first point.

I'd need to know more of why do you think you need EQ and what settings are best (frequencies and correction in dB) to your ears.  What is the source material, bitrate, etc.  I'm assuming your JH16 Pros have a perfect fit, because if they don't, you may very well experience substandard SQ, no EQ will fix.  You may want to head over to the JH16 Pro First Impressions thread to do some of those tests they recommend to validate fit.

I'm not sure if it is normal or not for EQ to affect the LO, but it is dependent on the design.  Personally, I think it is preferable to have the option available to external amps as well as a function of the DAP itself.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #60 of 61
nice thorough review, but I dont quite understand the big deal about the hirez capability when it doesnt use (by design) the full bandwidth offered by 44.1, due to the roll off filter. the sound may work well for you, but I dont really like that style. Its just a personal thing, so its not a deficiency, but it does effect the ability of hirez files to have any benefit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back