[REVIEW]: The Aurisonics AS-2 15mm Dynamic Driver 2-Balanced Armature Hybrid Custom-Fit Stage Monitor
Apr 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #16 of 97
Quote:
Thanks for the review Kunlun. I eagerly await details concerning the upgrade program now
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome! Dale will be coming out with details soon.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #22 of 97
Nice review!

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #24 of 97
Apr 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 97
That's where your game slipped Kunlun, shoulda put the AS-2 on a cat :D

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #26 of 97
Interesting review.   I noticed that the reviews of the AS2 from Flysweep's to yours didn't include other IEMs, nor do they provide the reader with sound signature categories.(and I consider that egocentric vs midcentric,lol)

Going to Clieo's classic classifications, I feel its important to say that the AS2 fits almost entirely into the Bass category.   There are some Mid-Centric elements mixed in.   This results in a signature that can be described as:   laid back,  very thick, warm, slightly dark, musical, and not technical.   For those readers whose preferred signature is analytical, midcentric, warm and sweet or balanced, I think that they will be in for a rude awakening.  

When I first got the AS2 I immediately noticed that I needed an EQ to reduce the bloated bass and boost the mids.   I've never felt the need to immediately use an EQ on any of my IEMs.    I found that the AS2 was extremely seductive in making me think that I was hearing the music in all its fullness and an incredibly intimate musical sound until listening to either my Sony's or demo 1P2 latest version.    I found that the AS2 cuts off the highs that makes voices soar and fiddles sing.   I found that listening to the AS2 was like listening to music in a room with a five foot ceiling and fifty feet long and deep.  I found the 1P2 fits into warm+sweet, midcentric bordering on analytical and that it is the polar opposite of the AS2.      I'm a warm/sweet mid-centric kind of guy.

For bassheads or those who like the Aurisonic house sound its an awesome IEM, for me I spent $600 on a signature that is not for me.

Bottom line for me is to classify the AS2 in its proper category so viewers can determine if it fits their signature, that's what I look for in a review.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #27 of 97
Great review Kunlun, and basically how I remember hearing the AS-2 prototype (although I know Dale has made many tweaks and changes to the final product). I'll hear a finished version soon enough and add my detailed thoughts, but I thought your review delivered on the essences of the AS-2. Again, nice job! Happy listening!

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #28 of 97
Quote:
Interesting review.   I noticed that the reviews of the AS2 from Flysweep's to yours didn't include other IEMs, nor do they provide the reader with sound signature categories.(and I consider that egocentric vs midcentric,lol)

Going to Clieo's classic classifications, I feel its important to say that the AS2 fits almost entirely into the Bass category.   There are some Mid-Centric elements mixed in.   This results in a signature that can be described as:   laid back,  very thick, warm, slightly dark, musical, and not technical.   For those readers whose preferred signature is analytical, midcentric, warm and sweet or balanced, I think that they will be in for a rude awakening.  

When I first got the AS2 I immediately noticed that I needed an EQ to reduce the bloated bass and boost the mids.   I've never felt the need to immediately use an EQ on any of my IEMs.    I found that the AS2 was extremely seductive in making me think that I was hearing the music in all its fullness and an incredibly intimate musical sound until listening to either my Sony's or demo 1P2 latest version.    I found that the AS2 cuts off the highs that makes voices soar and fiddles sing.   I found that listening to the AS2 was like listening to music in a room with a five foot ceiling and fifty feet long and deep.  I found the 1P2 fits into warm+sweet, midcentric bordering on analytical and that it is the polar opposite of the AS2.      I'm a warm/sweet mid-centric kind of guy.

For bassheads or those who like the Aurisonic house sound its an awesome IEM, for me I spent $600 on a signature that is not for me.

Bottom line for me is to classify the AS2 in its proper category so viewers can determine if it fits their signature, that's what I look for in a review.

See,  disagree with you. Whereas the bass is very present and detailed (and can make bassheads smiles), the mids are very present and forward in the AS-2 too. Kunlun did a good job in explaining that highs are dialed back a bit because these are in-ear monitors (having dialed up too much will render the in-ear monitors effectiveness useless and ruin the musician's ears). That's not to say the highs are recessed or not extended, because it is. 

Yes, your statement is probably accurate in regards to the AS-2 not being your sound signature, but that doesn't mean the AS-2 isn't a great a product, or that Kunlun didn't render an accurate description of the sound he's heard out of them. Again, his opinion is just as valid as yours. You're not wrong in how you hear the the AS-2. It's all subjective. But in my opinion, it's unfair to call the AS-2 a "basshead" earphone, although the sound signature can be manipulated to make "bassheads" feel the product was designed just for them. 

I heard no bloating of the bass or need to pull up the mids via eq-ing when I spent a significant amount of time with the AS-2. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #29 of 97
You say his opinion is just as valid and yet seem to.infer the opposite. If the iem is dark, it is nice to know. Either it is or it is not. Saying that a monitor SHOULD have laid back highs is quite news to me. Besides these are now sold and marketed more for personal hearing.
See,  disagree with you. Whereas the bass is very present and detailed (and can make bassheads smiles), the mids are very present and forward in the AS-2 too. Kunlun did a good job in explaining that highs are dialed back a bit because these are in-ear monitors (having dialed up too much will render the in-ear monitors effectiveness useless and ruin the musician's ears). That's not to say the highs are recessed or not extended, because it is. 

Yes, your statement is probably accurate in regards to the AS-2 not being your sound signature, but that doesn't mean the AS-2 isn't a great a product, or that Kunlun didn't render an accurate description of the sound he's heard out of them. Again, his opinion is just as valid as yours. You're not wrong in how you hear the the AS-2. It's all subjective. But in my opinion, it's unfair to call the AS-2 a "basshead" earphone, although the sound signature can be manipulated to make "bassheads" feel the product was designed just for them. 

I heard no bloating of the bass or need to pull up the mids via eq-ing when I spent a significant amount of time with the AS-2. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #30 of 97
Thank you Kunlun, Very well put together Review I enjoyed reading & loved the Photos. You have a great fit there by the looks of your Ear....
Your Description kinda almost remind me of my UM Merlin.......Although... that bass vent is very interesting indeed & its being adjustable, makes this CIEM quite special  enabling you to change for every type of recording.  (NICE) ....
 Wonder how the AS 2 will sound with some aftermarket cables also?
I am also very interested in your coming comparison with the other Custom on my radar the Tralucent. I await......Until then.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back